Narrative Busting

section122

In a year with a lot of turnover and a lot of new names these things stood out to me as there was a lot  of negativity and consternation headed into this year.  Here are some interesting stats through 2 weeks for the Bills. I'm interested to see what other things can people find.

Narrative:  Josh has to do it all himself

Through 2 games, Josh Allen has 42 pass attempts.  There were 5 games last year where he had 40+ pass attempts.

Through 2 games, Josh has 41 yards rushing on 11 attempts.  He had more rushing yards in 4 of the last 4 games individually as well as more attempts in 3 of the last 4 games.

Narrative: The o-line was great last year, they shouldn't have messed with a good thing and moved a guy who hasn't played C since HS to such an important position

Through 2 games, Josh has been sacked 2 times.  He had 7 games last year where he was sacked at least twice.

Through 2 games, Josh has a 124.2 qb rating.  He only reached that number twice last year.

Narrative:  "everyone eats" is just because they don't have any good WRs not because they want to spread the ball around.

Through 2 games, The Bills do not have a 100 yard receiver.  Total not in either game.  Shakir is the leading receiver and has 96 yards through 2 games.  Next is Keon Coleman at 51 yards.

Narrative: The loss of Poyer, Hyde, and Tre White will cause major problems for the pass defense.

Through 2 games, The 3 leading tacklers on the team are Dorian Williams, Cam Lewis, and Damar Hamlin.

Through 2 games, Ja'Marcus Ingram is leading the team in both interceptions and passes defensed.

Through 2 games, the Bills are giving up 179 yards passing per game.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

It's week 2. Let's see what happens with the league getting more and more film of the offensive changes and new defensive personnel and plan before we make definitive statements.

Early last season Ken Dorsey was the OC and they put up 145 points through the first 4 games.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

Narrative: The o-line was great last year, they shouldn't have messed with a good thing and moved a guy who hasn't played C since HS to such an important position

Narrative: The loss of Poyer, Hyde, and Tre White will cause major problems for the pass defense.

I disagreed with the above 2 to begin with:

-The offensive line was not great last year. They had some good games run blocking, but also some games they couldn't do anything Run blocking they certainly were not great to me. And Pass blocking? I think most other QBs other than Allen would have been sacked a lot more.

-Poyer and Hyde, you could see they were losing a step over the last couple of years. Last year was even worse.  A lot of what you lose in their 'experience' I would rather make up with some added athleticisim.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Its just 2 games, we can't bust any Narratives until at least December.

I don't totally disagree but I think the "Bills can only win when Josh Allen goes crazy and does it all" took a huge hit last night.  He played well and I'm not knocking him but that win came from the defense and run game

Just now, mjd1001 said:

I disagreed with the above 2 to begin with:

-The offensive line was not great last year. They had some good games run blocking, but also some games they couldn't do anything Run blocking they certainly were not great to me. And Pass blocking? I think most other QBs other than Allen would have been sacked a lot more.

-Poyer and Hyde, you could see they were losing a step over the last couple of years. Last year was even worse.  A lot of what you lose in their 'experience' I would rather make up with some added athleticisim.

I absolutely agree with your 2nd point.  I thought it was clear when they had to move Poyer into the box on 3rd downs and make him a lb that he was clearly on the downslope.  Seeing Cook beat him as he took a bad angle was a weird familiar feeling that was nice to be on the other side of lol.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, section122 said:

I don't totally disagree but I think the "Bills can only win when Josh Allen goes crazy and does it all" took a huge hit last night.  He played well and I'm not knocking him but that win came from the defense and run game

He passed when he needed to, and did it great.  I love games where Josh doesn't have to carry the team. Hell, he killed my fantasy team this week (he is my QB#1) but I am fine winning every game through the Superbowl with the blueprint we had last night. Just win a damn Superbowl!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, section122 said:

In a year with a lot of turnover and a lot of new names these things stood out to me as there was a lot  of negativity and consternation headed into this year.  Here are some interesting stats through 2 weeks for the Bills. I'm interested to see what other things can people find.

Narrative:  Josh has to do it all himself

Through 2 games, Josh Allen has 42 pass attempts.  There were 5 games last year where he had 40+ pass attempts.

Through 2 games, Josh has 41 yards rushing on 11 attempts.  He had more rushing yards in 4 of the last 4 games individually as well as more attempts in 3 of the last 4 games.

Through 2 games, Josh has been sacked 2 times.  He had 7 games last year where he was sacked at least twice.

Through 2 games, Josh has a 124.2 qb rating.  He only reached that number twice last year.

Narrative:  "everyone eats" is just because they don't have any good WRs not because they want to spread the ball around.

Through 2 games, The Bills do not have a 100 yard receiver.  Total not in either game.  Shakir is the leading receiver and has 96 yards through 2 games.  Next is Keon Coleman at 51 yards.

Through 2 games, The 3 leading tacklers on the team are Dorian Williams, Cam Lewis, and Damar Hamlin.

Through 2 games, Ja'Marcus Ingram is leading the team in both interceptions and passes defensed.

Through 2 games, the Bills are giving up 179 yards passing per game.  

During the pregame yesterday I heard one of the guys at WGR say this looks more like a Everyone starves kind of offense and not an everyone eats offense.

Drives me nuts there are so many people who make a living talking about sports and are just coasting along.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It's week 2. Let's see what happens with the league getting more and more film of the offensive changes and new defensive personnel and plan before we make definitive statements.

Early last season Ken Dorsey was the OC and they put up 145 points through the first 4 games.

This year feels different than last but time will tell if it really is. Dorsey’s offense even though they were putting up points felt disjointed. Under Brady the offense feels smooth with a clear idea what they want to do. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MikePJ76 said:

During the pregame yesterday I heard one of the guys at WGR say this looks more like a Everyone starves kind of offense and not an everyone eats offense.

Drives me nuts there are so many people who make a living talking about sports and are just coasting along.

That is kind of a funny line.  If they hadn't put up 34 and 31 points lol.

I don't regret anything in life as I have a good one but I do sometimes wish I had followed my dream of being a sportscaster.  I could run my mouth all day and it doesn't matter if I'm wrong or right!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He passed when he needed to, and did it great.  I love games where Josh doesn't have to carry the team. Hell, he killed my fantasy team this week (he is my QB#1) but I am fine winning every game through the Superbowl with the blueprint we had last night. Just win a damn Superbowl!

Correct.  The second half was a glorified preseason game after Ingram's pick six.  Run the ball and avoid injury.  Josh played great in the first half when it counted.  Consistently made the right decisions, even slid and threw a ball or two away that he'd often force.  Guy was completely controlling things for the limited time he saw the ball over the first 30 minutes.

• Agree 3

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

This year feels different than last but time will tell if it really is. Dorsey’s offense even though they were putting up points felt disjointed. Under Brady the offense feels smooth with a clear idea what they want to do.

I agree totally. Disjointed is the perfect word for what they were.

I just want to see how they do once people start to hone in on the plan and scheme to disrupt it better.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

If they keep moving the ball around like they have it will work out. That seems to be the plan and it works for me.

That's the plan, I know. But I need to see more. I'm not really doubting anyone, I just want to see more before I really trust the group.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

That is kind of a funny line.  If they hadn't put up 34 and 31 points lol.

I don't regret anything in life as I have a good one but I do sometimes wish I had followed my dream of being a sportscaster.  I could run my mouth all day and it doesn't matter if I'm wrong or right!

The guy was probably rubbing one out in his garage and that saying hit him.....Damn I got it...its the everyone starves offense...  as soon as the bills play bad I will say it all day long on the radio.

or something like that.

• Haha (+1) 2

How about these stats? After two games:

Shakir, our leading receiver, and Cook, our starting RB, both have a 100% catch rate.

Our starting TE Kincaid has a catch rate of 83.3%.

Josh Allens completion percentage is 75.6%.

Obviously, these are very small sample sizes, and don't really mean that much. But it's a helluva start to the season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

referencing the OP...narratives are hard to shake

the people high on Brady rn would have complained that we only scored 3points through 29mins of the first half of the Cardinals game if Dorsey was OC 100% guaranteed

• Haha (+1) 1