What to do at safety?

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, that’s what got him drafted in the first round. But after entering the NFL, he didn’t look so great.

After getting into the nfl he’s been injured or coming off of injury.  Von miller was awful last year.  He’s not this year.  Sometimes players take longer to recover from serious injury. Cine had a very serious injury.  

He make never be the player he was pre injury.  

his pff grades were 60 and 66 in his first two seasons.  That’s not terrible.  I didn’t watch him play so I can only go on things like pff.  

Perfect type player for the PS.

21 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

13 seconds doesn't happen to a truly good coach. Belichick wins us that game.

If McDermott gets us a Super Bowl, then I'll say he is truly very good/great. Right now he is Marvin Lewis/Marty Schottenheimer with a slightly better playoff record. 

You might not say it. But he is truly very good already. Probably not great yet. But very good? He's already there.

But certainly good enough that comparing him to Marvin Lewis is ludicrous. Lewis was a genuinely good coach, but his winning percentage was .518. 0 for 7 in the playoffs. Zero. Lewis was a good hard-nosed coach, always put tough physical teams on the field. But while he was a good defensive coach, he wasn't scheming himself any wild advantages. I liked Lewis a lot, but he's no McDermott.

Schotty? Yeah, maybe. He's greatly underestimated. That guy got untalented teams to overperform year after year. He had about two years when he had teams with personnel that apparently had the horses to do real damage

Also, stuff like 13 seconds does happen to truly good coaches. Check out Belichick's last few years. Or his years in Cleveland. Or Philly Special and losing to the Eagles in the SB. Think Belichick had ever coached the players not to let anyone get outside of them including the QB? Of course he had. Sometimes players make mistakes, even under really good coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/13/2024 at 11:33 AM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Move Rapp to linebacker. 

I'm not even joking. With Milano and Bernard out for an unforseen amount of time, and TJ still in recovery tell me other player the Bills have that 

A) Hits like a Mack truck

B) know coverage schemes

C) is faster than a D lineman

I also have zero issues with rolling out thick nickel and dime

This thought also occure to me when I posted elsewhere about poyer moving down to lb last year in obvious passing situations.  I think a 4-1-6 with 3 safeties could be very effective with someone like Rapp.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

After getting into the nfl he’s been injured or coming off of injury.  Von miller was awful last year.  He’s not this year.  Sometimes players take longer to recover from serious injury. Cine had a very serious injury.  

He make never be the player he was pre injury.  

his pff grades were 60 and 66 in his first two seasons.  That’s not terrible.  I didn’t watch him play so I can only go on things like pff.  

Perfect type player for the PS.

Definitely. I’m just not expecting much from him, much less being a future starter for the Bills.  If he does become one, I’ll gladly eat crow.

• Agree 1

On 9/13/2024 at 10:52 AM, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

This defense always seems to do well against the Tua’s/ Murray’s of the NFL but I want to see them against Lamar, Steoud, Burrow and Mahomes to get a real guage of who needs to be in. But those were 2 of the very best WR the Bills just shut down in Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle so kudos to them now I want to see them against better QBs.

Bills were the team which showed the NFL how to shutdown Jackson in playoff game.

They contained Jackson to point where he got frustrated and made mistakes and Bills won the game.

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You might not say it. But he is truly very good already. Probably not great yet. But very good? He's already there.

But certainly good enough that comparing him to Marvin Lewis is ludicrous. Lewis was a genuinely good coach, but his winning percentage was .518. 0 for 7 in the playoffs. Zero. Lewis was a good hard-nosed coach, always put tough physical teams on the field. But while he was a good defensive coach, he wasn't scheming himself any wild advantages. I liked Lewis a lot, but he's no McDermott.

Schotty? Yeah, maybe. He's greatly underestimated. That guy got untalented teams to overperform year after year. He had about two years when he had teams with personnel that apparently had the horses to do real damage

Also, stuff like 13 seconds does happen to truly good coaches. Check out Belichick's last few years. Or his years in Cleveland. Or Philly Special and losing to the Eagles in the SB. Think Belichick had ever coached the players not to let anyone get outside of them including the QB? Of course he had. Sometimes players make mistakes, even under really good coaches.

Lewis never had a QB the caliber of Josh Allen. Lewis's best QB was Andy Dalton, who was a glorified game manager and has struggled to hold an NFL job the past half decade or so. Lewis Bengal teams often beat up on inferior opposition in the regular season but choked in the playoffs due to the QB position and his defense not doing the job against more legit offenses. 

Schottenheimer had the same issue except when he was in San Diego and got some great QB play. Great regular season. Choked in the playoffs when facing very good teams. 

McDermott has had much better QB play thanks to Allen. We should have won two out of three playoff games against the Chiefs if McDermott could actually coach well against legit QBs/offenses. McDermotts defenses have factually not sacked Mahomes once and haven't intercepted him once in multiple playoff games. This despite McDermott pushing the defense to be spoiled with a disproportionate amount of draft picks and free agent resources compared to the offense. Look at all the first round and 2nd round picks and free agent money spent on defensive players McDermott pushed for who could not stop Mahomes and the Chiefs in the playoffs, failing to even sack him or INT him. Oliver. Elam. Rousseau. Boogie Basham.  Miller. Tre White. All failed to do their jobs partially because McDermott failed to coach properly (McDermott factually took over duties last year so had more blame - failed to sack and int Mahomes once). When you spend much more resources on a defense and still cannot beat the Chiefs , despite Allen breaking post season records, it's on the defense and coaching. 

Injuries are just an excuse. Belichick shut down the Colts and Manning with most his secondary being hurt and having Troy Brown , a receiver, play corner. Won a super bowl doing that. 

The Patriots won their first Super Bowl against the Rams with Brady doing next to nothing that post season (especially compared to Allen) because Belichick could coach the hell out of a defense. Same with their last super bowl victory (13-3 over the Rams). Belichick also outcoached us in a super bowl. Dude's defenses frequently stopped MVP caliber QBs like Payton Manning in the playoffs. When was the last time a McDermott defense factually dominated a QB on Mannings level in the playoffs like the Patriots did in 03/04? Hasn't happened despite Allen leading us to more points than Brady led the Patriots in those games. 

McDermotts defenses have beaten Thompson for the Dolphins in the playoffs, Jones for the Patriots, Rudolph for the Steelers, a retiring washed up Rivers for the Colts and Jackson for the Ravens in a wind storm. One of those wins against the Ravens is a legit win. Against league leaders on the caliber of a Manning, such as Mahomes and Burrows, McDermott factually ***** the bed.

So the slightly better than Marvin Lewis and Marty Schottenheimer point stands. Schottenheimer was routinely beat by great QBs like Elway, Kelly, Brady in the playoffs. Lewis lost to great QBs like Big Ben. They both failed, like McDermott, to stop legit offenses in the playoffs. 

Anything short of a Super Bowl appearance and McDermott should be replaced. He chose this current defense and guys we have with injury problems. These wins are nice in September. Beat the Chiefs and at least make it to a Super Bowl and I'll be more supportive of him. At the moment, we are a regular season power, largely led by Allen , that cannot beat top QBs in the playoffs despite Allen going off frequently. 

Edited by ProcessImproverMan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Definitely. I’m just not expecting much from him, much less being a future starter for the Bills.  If he does become one, I’ll gladly eat crow.

I saw enough of Cine’s games at UGA to know I wanted the Bills back to draft him. Big with elite athleticism. Didn’t see any of his games while at Minnesota but I’m guessing the severe fracture hampered his development. If there’s any coach who can maximize a DB’s ability, it’s McD.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Lewis never had a QB the caliber of Josh Allen. Lewis's best QB was Andy Dalton, who was a glorified game manager and has struggled to hold an NFL job the past half decade or so. Lewis Bengal teams often beat up on inferior opposition in the regular season but choked in the playoffs due to the QB position and his defense not doing the job against more legit offenses. 

Schottenheimer had the same issue except when he was in San Diego and got some great QB play. Great regular season. Choked in the playoffs when facing very good teams. 

McDermott has had much better QB play thanks to Allen. We should have won two out of three playoff games against the Chiefs if McDermott could actually coach well against legit QBs/offenses. McDermotts defenses have factually not sacked Mahomes once and haven't intercepted him once in multiple playoff games. This despite McDermott pushing the defense to be spoiled with a disproportionate amount of draft picks and free agent resources compared to the offense. Look at all the first round and 2nd round picks and free agent money spent on defensive players McDermott pushed for who could not stop Mahomes and the Chiefs in the playoffs, failing to even sack him or INT him. Oliver. Elam. Rousseau. Boogie Basham.  Miller. Tre White. All failed to do their jobs partially because McDermott failed to coach properly (McDermott factually took over duties last year so had more blame - failed to sack and int Mahomes once). When you spend much more resources on a defense and still cannot beat the Chiefs , despite Allen breaking post season records, it's on the defense and coaching. 

Injuries are just an excuse. Belichick shut down the Colts and Manning with most his secondary being hurt and having Troy Brown , a receiver, play corner. Won a super bowl doing that. 

The Patriots won their first Super Bowl against the Rams with Brady doing next to nothing that post season (especially compared to Allen) because Belichick could coach the hell out of a defense. Same with their last super bowl victory (13-3 over the Rams). Belichick also outcoached us in a super bowl. Dude's defenses frequently stopped MVP caliber QBs like Payton Manning in the playoffs. When was the last time a McDermott defense factually dominated a QB on Mannings level in the playoffs like the Patriots did in 03/04? Hasn't happened despite Allen leading us to more points than Brady led the Patriots in those games. 

McDermotts defenses have beaten Thompson for the Dolphins in the playoffs, Jones for the Patriots, Rudolph for the Steelers, a retiring washed up Rivers for the Colts and Jackson for the Ravens in a wind storm. One of those wins against the Ravens is a legit win. Against league leaders on the caliber of a Manning, such as Mahomes and Burrows, McDermott factually ***** the bed.

So the slightly better than Marvin Lewis and Marty Schottenheimer point stands. Schottenheimer was routinely beat by great QBs like Elway, Kelly, Brady in the playoffs. Lewis lost to great QBs like Big Ben. They both failed, like McDermott, to stop legit offenses in the playoffs. 

Anything short of a Super Bowl appearance and McDermott should be replaced. He chose this current defense and guys we have with injury problems. These wins are nice in September. Beat the Chiefs and at least make it to a Super Bowl and I'll be more supportive of him. At the moment, we are a regular season power, largely led by Allen , that cannot beat top QBs in the playoffs despite Allen going off frequently. 

Yeah, Dalton was Lewis' best QB, you say? Um, no. Lewis'  best quarterback was Carson Palmer, who was damn good for a few years there. Still they couldn't win a playoff game. 

And McDermott's Bills teams over-achieved their rosters even the first two years when Allen was an enthusiastic runner and a tough leader who looked like maybe he might have a good future if his passing game improved enough. Yes, having Josh has helped a ton. No, it didn't mean everything was now fine. In the last few years the defense has done a ton to make this team successful, that's simply a fact. Wins and losses is a team stat, and that's for good reason.

Agreed that they haven't sacked Mahomes enough in the playoffs, but you say, "McDermotts defenses have factually not sacked Mahomes once and haven't intercepted him once in multiple playoff games." Great point except for the three sacks they have against him in playoff games. One in 2020 season and two the next year. So, not "factually" so much. That's three in three years, which is not great for sure, but until they brought in Von they just didn't have a really good pass rush guy, and then Von got injured. IMO if Von stayed healthy we have at least one Lombardi, but it's a guess. One of the problems with being really good is you never get great draft picks that allow you to get obvious elite pass rushers.

Injuries is indeed an excuse. One that has a gigantic impact on seasons, excuse or not. But the Troy Brown year is a horrible example of your point. Outside the CBs, the Pats were extremely healthy that year, nothing remotely like the Bills defensive injuries disaster. Yeah, Troy Brown was a damn good player and did a pretty solid job as a fill-in CB. He didn't do a brilliant job because Belichick made him go zero to hero due to brilliant coaching. He was a good athlete capable of playing pretty well at corner. He played QB for them in the preseason one year. He was a terrific all around athlete. And the guys around him were really healthy, the safeties, the line and the LBs, and the offense too. The Bills have also had guys who could move between positions, though not as well as Troy Brown. Belichick was lucky to have the right guy on the team. Including a guy named Tom Brady, he was pretty influential in a lot of those wins as well, including that Troy Brown year.

And again, except for at CB, the 2004 Patriots were actually really really healthy. Nothing remotely like the Bills defense last year.

Oh, and Schotty didn't fail to "stop legit offenses in the playoffs," as you claim. Nonsense. Just as an example, in their 2004 playoff game against New England, they held Brady to 27 for 51 for 280 , 2TDs and 3 INTs. Brady didn't have much of a game at all. It was, as usual, team against team. The Pats snuck past them 24-21. with Philip Rivers having an even worse game than Brady.

Oh, and your idea about McDermott being replaced? It's nuts. Seriously. Completely whackadoo. Unless he somehow loses the locker room or something he'll be the coach next year and probably long term, and that's what's best for the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1