What to do at safety?

18 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

A good problem to have. How do you keep Ingram off the field after that great game?

Bishop looks like he is ready to play.

When Taron comes back somebody is going to have to go to the bench.

Even Hamlin is playing ok.

Is Bishop a replacement for Rapp or for Hamlin? Have to figure with as good as Lewis has shown( crow swallowed) he still is the safety in the dime package when Taron comes back.

Happy for Ingram but neither pick was a spectacular effort by him.   He was in the right place at the right time.  Assuming he was where he was supposed to be, great he is doing his job but I think op is blowing it out of proportion. 

21 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Side note:  THANK YOU McD for getting the most out of what we have.

We have a TERRIFIC head coach.  Shameful the flack this guy sometimes gets from some of this uninformed, not-understanding football, fan base.  

We are LUCKY to have him.  

During the regular season you would be correct.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

I'm not saying he's perfect.  But his record against the Chiefs isn't bad compared to other teams.

We cannot expect a Super Bowl year after year.  There are 31 other teams that don't win it each year.  

You're seemingly holding McD to some impossible standard.  He's a damn good coach.

No.  But we shouldn’t expect divisional playoff losses every year either.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I've been vocal about my concern for the position since the beginning of training camp. I thought they had a shaky first game, but played extremely well vs MIA. I though Hill would eat them up and he just didnt. I'll need a few more games to get a real gauge on it, but I think Rapp/Bishop would be ideal if we get there by mid season. So far I'm not as concerned as a few months ago.

On 9/13/2024 at 8:30 AM, Rigotz said:

Rapp and Hamlin at Safety for now.

Rapp and Bishop in the future.

Cam as the Dime SS for now.

Taron as the Nickel when he comes back, which means we play less Dime.

As exciting as Ingram was yesterday, he was an Undrafted Free Agent 2 years ago and wasn't good enough to make any roster in 2022 and 2023. He's definitely showing some juice, but implying that he will somehow replace Taron, Hamlin, Bishop, or even Mike Edwards is crazy.

I think he’s implying that Ingram replaces Cam at dime S

On 9/13/2024 at 8:44 AM, Beck Water said:

Not sure I registered it, but didn't he have a really strong PBU in the endzone yesterday (Bishop I mean?)  It was at the end of the game, but good coverage.

This.  Ingram is not playing safety, he's their dime back, which is a role Lewis was filling until Johnson went down.  And he's filling it well.

But we're not gonna see Ingram competing with Rapp or Hamlin at safety.

He has been playing safety since cam moved to slot

22 hours ago, balln said:

I watched burrow. And then saw an online clip of him on the bench. And from my profession. Ligament repair = SL ligament repair. I don’t think he’s ever gonna be the same qb. He couldn’t hold a water bottle. Constantly shaking and playing w wrist in week1

Bishop is strong safety right? So is Rapp. What we need is a better free safety. Hamlin I’m sorry is so slow to react and slow to actually run to make meaningful plays in pass or run. He also gives up such a huge cushion. We need a free. 

Bishop is currently Damar Hamlin backup at FS.  

looks like the plan is Bishop and Rapp together 

22 hours ago, Airseven said:

Some odd, premature analysis by the OP. What you do at safety is stick with what's working for now.

No it’s not.

Bishop was drafted to start.  You don’t cripple his rookie season because he was injured and missed the entire preseason.  If he’s better than Hamlin, he should start when he’s ready, regardless of what’s working.  

also-  he mentions:  what do we do when Taron comes back?  Do we move cam back to dime S?  Or does Ingram play that position better? Who goes to the bench.  So no, you don’t keep with what’s working….Taron will play  

Premature analysis……to you.  Per your usual negative remarks

Edited by NewEra

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No it’s not.

Bishop was drafted to start.  You don’t cripple his rookie season because he was injured and missed the entire preseason.  If he’s better than Hamlin, he should start when he’s ready, regardless of what’s working.  

also-  he mentions:  what do we do when Taron comes back?  Do we move cam back to dime S?  Or does Ingram play that position better? Who goes to the bench.  So no, you don’t keep with what’s working….Taron will play  

So if he's not up to speed quite yet , he should still start over Hamlin? It's safe to assume a rookie battling an injury is not ready yet. 

Edited by Kenosha2Buffalo

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No it’s not.

3 minutes ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

So if he's not up to speed quite yet , he should still start over Hamlin? It's safe to assume a rookie battling an injury is not ready yet. 

It’s best to read the post rather than skipping though it and assuming 

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't know.  It didn't seem like Cine was any great shakes before getting injured.

I thought cine looked great in college

I'm just super pleased with how the overall defense is falling into place.

With the injuries to Milano, Bernard, and TJ it's opened up opportunities for others to get true on-the-job training. Players like Hamlin, Spector, Ingram, and Lewis are getting meaningful snaps. When the starters trickle back into the lineup we'll have trusted, proven backups... not unknown quantities.

The defensive line has been upgraded substantially with the additions of Austin Johnson, Dawuan Smoot, Casey Toohill and DeWayne Carter. Von Miller is returning to form. Ed Oliver and Greg Rousseau appear to be in their early primes. DaQuan is excellent. Cole Bishop and Javon Solomon will make their marks soon.

On the downside, hopefully Dorian continues to improve because he's a minus starter right now. Epenesa disappoints me but he's not a bad player.

Regardless of the above two individuals IMO this can be one of the best defenses in the league by mid-season. They are a well-coached unit and there's pretty good talent to work with.

6 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'm just super pleased with how the overall defense is falling into place.

With the injuries to Milano, Bernard, and TJ it's opened up opportunities for others to get true on-the-job training. Players like Hamlin, Spector, Ingram, and Lewis are getting meaningful snaps. When the starters trickle back into the lineup we'll have trusted, proven backups... not unknown quantities.

The defensive line has been upgraded substantially with the additions of Austin Johnson, Dawuan Smoot, Casey Toohill and DeWayne Carter. Von Miller is returning to form. Ed Oliver and Greg Rousseau appear to be in their early primes. DaQuan is excellent. Cole Bishop and Javon Solomon will make their marks soon.

On the downside, hopefully Dorian continues to improve because he's a minus starter right now. Epenesa disappoints me but he's not a bad player.

Regardless of the above two individuals IMO this can be one of the best defenses in the league by mid-season. They are a well-coached unit and there's pretty good talent to work with.

If this Defense can ever be at full strength with all of the top players healthy at the same time it can be one of the top D's in the entire league but unfortunately we have been snake bitten with injuries the last few seasons now.  

• Agree 1

On 9/13/2024 at 10:31 AM, ProcessImproverMan said:

13 seconds doesn't happen to a truly good coach. Belichick wins us that game.

If McDermott gets us a Super Bowl, then I'll say he is truly very good/great. Right now he is Marvin Lewis/Marty Schottenheimer with a slightly better playoff record. 

Marvin Lewis ? Come on