What to do at safety?

1 hour ago, Blackbeard said:

Side note:  THANK YOU McD for getting the most out of what we have.

We have a TERRIFIC head coach.  Shameful the flack this guy sometimes gets from some of this uninformed, not-understanding football, fan base.  

We are LUCKY to have him.  

Kudos to the Bills and D for beating the snot out of a dysfunctional Miami O. It was truly fun to watch.

How will they look against a competent QB who’s run game is gashing us like that in the first half?

Apparently you wanna Crown Dey A$$, so Crown Dey A$$.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

This defense always seems to do well against the Tua’s/ Murray’s of the NFL but I want to see them against Lamar, Steoud, Burrow and Mahomes to get a real guage of who needs to be in. But those were 2 of the very best WR the Bills just shut down in Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle so kudos to them now I want to see them against better QBs.

I watched burrow. And then saw an online clip of him on the bench. And from my profession. Ligament repair = SL ligament repair. I don’t think he’s ever gonna be the same qb. He couldn’t hold a water bottle. Constantly shaking and playing w wrist in week1

1 hour ago, Success said:

We all know how this staff tends to ease rookies in slowly - but I really think they have to put Bishop out there now.  He'll likely have some growing pains, but he's a 2nd rounder, he clearly has some talent and they should get him fully acclimated by the playoffs. 

He could be a difference-maker, imo.

Bishop is strong safety right? So is Rapp. What we need is a better free safety. Hamlin I’m sorry is so slow to react and slow to actually run to make meaningful plays in pass or run. He also gives up such a huge cushion. We need a free. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, balln said:

I watched burrow. And then saw an online clip of him on the bench. And from my profession. Ligament repair = SL ligament repair. I don’t think he’s ever gonna be the same qb. He couldn’t hold a water bottle. Constantly shaking and playing w wrist in week1

That may be true but Burrow also said it was part of his regimen after rehab. It could be just speak though.

23 minutes ago, balln said:

Bishop is strong safety right? So is Rapp. What we need is a better free safety. Hamlin I’m sorry is so slow to react and slow to actually run to make meaningful plays in pass or run. He also gives up such a huge cushion. We need a free. 

I don't judge a player on what they did 2 seasons ago when pressed into the lineup as a depth player.  Bishop and Edwards missed camp, and didn't show enough to prove they should be starting.

Hamlin is playing more underneath in the single high looks than Rapp fwiw as a "strong safety" but in the 2 high shell game they're basically the same position on either side.  So far they've done a good job disguising who's doing what, but I'd be hard pressed to find a ton of film this season that shows Hamlin is a liability.  He isn't missing tackles, getting beat deep, or looking confused.  

37 minutes ago, balln said:

Bishop was a SS his junior season at Utah. His senior year, he played exclusively 1 side of the field, so depending on the play- he was either FS or SS. He can play both Safety spots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

We have a TERRIFIC head coach.  Shameful the flack this guy sometimes gets from some of this uninformed, not-understanding football, fan base.  

No one doubts McDermott's ability to build a team culture or coach up players, the in game calling/strategy has been his downfall in the past.

This year? Not yet, 1-0 in one score games and a masterful job yesterday. So far so good.

Edited by dgrochester55

47 minutes ago, balln said:

The Bills philosophy is to keep everything in front of them and then tighten things when opponents are in the Red Zone.   I think they need good tacklers and the Bills defense did just that yesterday night.

I'm a U of Utah fan as well as a Bills fan. Saw Bishop play a bunch of times in college. He was Utah's best player last year. Smart player, not hesitant, direct to the ball. Would love to see him get some more important reps for us, I think he'll be good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

Some odd, premature analysis by the OP. What you do at safety is stick with what's working for now.

Really? You think Rapp and Hamlin are the two best safeties on the roster? Maybe they are. 

Johnson is going to come back and play slot. Lewis has to go back to dime safety.

Bishop is a second round pick. Surely you don't want him to sit all season?

4 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

I so agree.  Who else would you rather have right here, right now??

4 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

13 seconds doesn't happen to a truly good coach. Belichick wins us that game.

If McDermott gets us a Super Bowl, then I'll say he is truly very good/great. Right now he is Marvin Lewis/Marty Schottenheimer with a slightly better playoff record. 

you are a dismal pillar of pain

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

The Bills philosophy is to keep everything in front of them and then tighten things when opponents are in the Red Zone.   I think they need good tacklers and the Bills defense did just that yesterday night.

I'm not sure that this is true.  Yes, when they play the Dolphins, they are going to try and keep everything in front of them using the two deep zone.  Of course, they need good tackling whatever they do on defense.  It will be interesting to see if they play a two deep zone versus the Ravens or the Bears for example.

I hope we're not all in love with Ingram because of his two picks - one of which he returned for a TD.

The first pick came off of a weird ricochet.   Ingram wasn't particularly near the play.

The second pick came off of a bad decision that led to a bad throw.   It's not like Ingram was draped all over his man and took the ball away.   Tua wasn't even throwing to a man.  He was trying to throw out of bounds and, under duress, threw to Ingram instead.  

I'm happy for the young man and don't mean to be a grinch.  But in both cases Ingram was accidentally in the right place at the right time.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

The good news is right now there is no need to rush Taron back with how Lewis and Ingraham are playing. 

Excited to see Edwards and Bishop get on the field as that certainly only strengthens our secondary.  Great problem to have. Lock up Douglas in the offseason and our secondary looks solid. 

Now LBer’s might be a different conversation.

Johnson is much better than those 2. He's a first team all pro, so you think Lewis and Ingram are all pro quality.

We want our best players on the field  

6 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Kudos to the Bills and D for beating the snot out of a dysfunctional Miami O. It was truly fun to watch.

How will they look against a competent QB who’s run game is gashing us like that in the first half?

Apparently you wanna Crown Dey A$$, so Crown Dey A$$.

I think of it as focusing on what DID just happen, as opposed to what may or may not happen at some time in the future. 

Nobody is crowning anybody. It was a good performance, and also a memorable game, if not for the right reasons. 

8 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

The good news is right now there is no need to rush Taron back with how Lewis and Ingraham are playing. 

Excited to see Edwards and Bishop get on the field as that certainly only strengthens our secondary.  Great problem to have. Lock up Douglas in the offseason and our secondary looks solid. 

Now LBer’s might be a different conversation.

I don't recall seing Horseface playing defense last night

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1