What to do at safety?

A good problem to have. How do you keep Ingram off the field after that great game?

Bishop looks like he is ready to play.

When Taron comes back somebody is going to have to go to the bench.

Even Hamlin is playing ok.

Is Bishop a replacement for Rapp or for Hamlin? Have to figure with as good as Lewis has shown( crow swallowed) he still is the safety in the dime package when Taron comes back.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

A good problem to have. How do you keep Ingram off the field after that great game?

Is Bishop a replacement for Rapp or for Hamlin? Have to figure with as good as Lewis has shown( crow swallowed) he still is the safety in the dime package when Taron comes back.

Ingram isn't a safety

• Like (+1) 19
  • Haha (+1) 1

Side note:  THANK YOU McD for getting the most out of what we have.

We have a TERRIFIC head coach.  Shameful the flack this guy sometimes gets from some of this uninformed, not-understanding football, fan base.  

We are LUCKY to have him.  

• Like (+1) 18
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

My guess is more of the same. Ingram in for Dime packages. I think Bishop eventually replaces Hamlin. I think the coaching staff really like Rapp. 

Edited by MPL
grammar
  • Agree 3

The good news is right now there is no need to rush Taron back with how Lewis and Ingraham are playing. 

Excited to see Edwards and Bishop get on the field as that certainly only strengthens our secondary.  Great problem to have. Lock up Douglas in the offseason and our secondary looks solid. 

Now LBer’s might be a different conversation.

• Like (+1) 1

Rapp and Hamlin at Safety for now.

Rapp and Bishop in the future.

Cam as the Dime SS for now.

Taron as the Nickel when he comes back, which means we play less Dime.

As exciting as Ingram was yesterday, he was an Undrafted Free Agent 2 years ago and wasn't good enough to make any roster in 2022 and 2023. He's definitely showing some juice, but implying that he will somehow replace Taron, Hamlin, Bishop, or even Mike Edwards is crazy.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Side note:  THANK YOU McD for getting the most out of what we have.

We have a TERRIFIC head coach.  Shameful the flack this guy sometimes gets from some of this uninformed, not-understanding football, fan base.  

We are LUCKY to have him.  

13 seconds doesn't happen to a truly good coach. Belichick wins us that game.

If McDermott gets us a Super Bowl, then I'll say he is truly very good/great. Right now he is Marvin Lewis/Marty Schottenheimer with a slightly better playoff record. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 9
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ingram's playing the poyer role from last year.  Sub-package where they take williams off, and previously would rotate him with Rapp and have poyer fill in underneath.  Basically a dime look on 3rd downs.  

Just now, Rigotz said:

As exciting as Ingram was yesterday, he was an Undrafted Free Agent 2 years ago and wasn't good enough to make any roster in 2022 and 2023. He's definitely showing some juice, but implying that he will somehow replace Taron, Hamlin, Bishop, or even Mike Edwards is crazy.

The team is in a roster transition - and they're giving guys who have been here in camp, on the PS, etc. a chance to play.  Honestly, outside of a few jitters here and there they've settled in and played some good ball.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

13 seconds doesn't happen to a truly good coach. Belichick wins us that game.

If McDermott gets us a Super Bowl, then I'll say he is truly very good/great. Right now he is Marvin Lewis/Marty Schottenheimer with a slightly better playoff record. 

Fair assessment.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Bishop made a great play in the endzone in man coverage. I know that was because the starters were out by that point but I wonder if the way you get his feet wet is as a man coverage matchup option in redzone defense for the next few weeks before chucking him in as a full time starter? Shouldn't underestimate the impact on a rookie DB of missing almost all of camp. The biggest question for me is Edwards or Hamlin for now alongside Rapp? Their intention was clearly for that to be Edwards then Hamlin took his chance. By midseason Bishop will be starting, but I think they'd be right to take their time. 

• Like (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I disagree about Ingram, who just did more in the last two games than Cam Lewis has ever done with multiple opportunities.  Ingram's more athletic with more upside. 

• Like (+1) 1

Really like how this defensive backfield has been put together.

Will be fun to watch this season, but I have to think the roster is really setting up nicely for the next few seasons.

30 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm confident that things will work themselves out naturally.

You can't judge Bishop's readiness after a few minutes of garbage time play

Taron will still be out for a few more weeks

There will be more injuries

Not sure I registered it, but didn't he have a really strong PBU in the endzone yesterday (Bishop I mean?)  It was at the end of the game, but good coverage.

19 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Ingram's playing the poyer role from last year.  Sub-package where they take williams off, and previously would rotate him with Rapp and have poyer fill in underneath.  Basically a dime look on 3rd downs.  

This.  Ingram is not playing safety, he's their dime back, which is a role Lewis was filling until Johnson went down.  And he's filling it well.

But we're not gonna see Ingram competing with Rapp or Hamlin at safety.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

The Bills just held a potent passing offense with two star receivers to 10 points in their house.

I think I'm less concerned about our two starting safeties than most others. Neither are stars, and both leave some plays on the field, but overall, as a unit, the defense was humming last night.

Long term -- possibly by midseason -- Cole Bishop will be the starting free safety, with Rapp likely remaining the starting strong safety. But honestly, the foursome of Bishop, Rapp, Hamlin, and Edwards, with Lewis as break-glass-in-case-of-emergency depth there, is a better group than I think some give it credit for.

• Like (+1) 8

30 minutes ago, MPL said:

My guess is more of the same. Ingram in for Dime packages. I think Bishop eventually replaces Hamlin. I think the coaching staff really like Rapp. 

Maybe the coaching staff should put their bodies in harm's way by trying to Do Their Job and make a tackle while Rapp is launching himself head-first into their knees and ankles

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Ingram isn't a safety

Ingram has been coming in as a 3rd safety in dime packages in place of Cam Lewis, who is filling in at nickel corner.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This defense always seems to do well against the Tua’s/ Murray’s of the NFL but I want to see them against Lamar, Steoud, Burrow and Mahomes to get a real guage of who needs to be in. But those were 2 of the very best WR the Bills just shut down in Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle so kudos to them now I want to see them against better QBs.

• Thank you (+1) 1