Tua Contract Question

steven50

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I was of the mindset that fencing indicated it was a more serious concussion. Good stuff here. Thanks 

Yeah, that's been the reaction of various pundits and even some doctors who have commented, but I actually follow her for stuff about back injury and I would say she has a higher level of expertise and her explanation makes sense to me.

Apparently it's a definitive indicator for a concussion (since the neurons don't get stretched without one) but doesn't indicate it's necessarily more severe.

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Trev said:

Yeah, I’m right…

I read and report on concussion research as part of my job. One consistent finding in the literature is that, for each concussion sustained, "subsequent concussions occur with less force and take longer to resolve." That's why your 6th concussion (or god forbid, 10th, 11th, 12th...) is more worrisome than the 1st, and why concussion-prone players tend to end up at a point of no return. 

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

From a post on Twitter that I read but can't find now, it said that Fins only have contract insured for 49.3 out of the 167+ million guaranteed, so they would be on the hook for the other $122 million...

And as far as I know once a player retires that money gets accelerated to the cap immediately.

It is when paperwork is filed not when player announces it on Twitter, Instagram or even a press conference.

Players can quit whenever they like even in middle of game but all guarantees are gone.

13 minutes ago, KellysHandWarmer said:

I read and report on concussion research as part of my job. One consistent finding in the literature is that, for each concussion sustained, "subsequent concussions occur with less force and take longer to resolve." That's why your 6th concussion (or god forbid, 10th, 11th, 12th...) is more worrisome than the 1st, and why concussion-prone players tend to end up at a point of no return. 

Back in the 80s, concussions didn’t exist. Everyone’s a Dr. Let Tua make his own decisions, going hyperbole is unnecessary. 

Edited by Trev
  • Eyeroll 1

Sports medicine Dr.  On the Tua situation.

He takes an objective look at the situation and actually isn't automatically jumping on the Tua should just retire bandwagon.   Says the effects and visual symptoms(such as going into the fencing posture) will vary from person to person and just because it looks bad may not necessarily be the case.   One player may suffer from 5 or more concussions throughout their career but show no long term effects or noticeable cognitive decline from them whereas another player might suffer from just one and have a very long term recovery and lasting effects for years.   He recommends TUA undergo a full recovery for weeks or a few months and undergo an intensive neurological exam to determine any potential damage to neurological function and decide from there.  

18 hours ago, 298Woody said:

If he does not have medical approval to play they have to pay him the bulk of the contract. If he retires on his own they only owe this years salary.

I believe this is correct.  It would not surprise me if a deal is reached where Tua retires and is paid something in the middle.  I have no idea what the cap implications of that would be.

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

I believe this is correct.  It would not surprise me if a deal is reached where Tua retires and is paid something in the middle.  I have no idea what the cap implications of that would be.

I doubt he walks from any guaranteed money, Stephen Ross and company have the ability. Tua fulfilled his obligations, they insured it. It’s a loss move on. 

I know most hate holdouts but glad Jordan love and Tua got their bag, even if you don’t believe they are worth it the teams did.

So pay dat man his money - Rounders. 

So long as the Dolphins are on the hook for his cap I don’t care what Tua decides. 

Hes a liability when he plays and if he doesn’t well the Dolphins lose a ton of cap room.

I hope he makes the correct decision and retires . Imo I think he comes back 

Edited by DJB