Tua Contract Question

steven50

7 hours ago, Malazan said:

I'm curious about this because if he retires, they're on the hook cap wise for the guaranteed money (there is a lot of it) regardless of any cash paid out.

I don't think that's true.   The money isn't guaranteed for retirement - a team can even ask for pro-rated portions of the signing bonus to be returned, although most will not.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

All money already paid, but not yet accounted for must hit the cap. That’s the remaining signing bonus cap hit. Also all future guaranteed money must be paid and accounted for on the cap. IMO there would be no basis for the team to sue Tua for any of that if he retired due to legitimate injury. So who’s going to argue that it wouldn’t be legit?

I mean the Dolphins were scummy enough to do him dirty in 2020.

And, not to beleabor the point I don't know how they afford even $100 million in cap hit over 2025 and 26

8 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

There is probably something the commissioner could do but won't for it would set a precedent; same as for Browns.

I believe they did say that if he were jailed or convicted deal is void after year 1 ( i THINK) it's been a few years but IIRC only his first year was guaranteed if he were convicted or anything of that sort. If it happens now, I believe his contract can be voided. 

There is news today that there is some sort of video evidence of his latest claim. He could very well be f***d and that scum deserves it.

I don’t think they intentionally put him at risk back in ‘20. It’s too self-defeating to do that. I think it was error/incompetence. Same result tho. But this is another data point in teams paying second tier (or lesser) QBs market prices. It almost never works out for the team. It can get the GM and coaches an extension though. 

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean the Dolphins were scummy enough to do him dirty in 2020.

And, not to beleabor the point I don't know how they afford even $100 million in cap hit over 2025 and 26

Edited by BarleyNY

8 hours ago, steven50 said:

I am not big on the numbers but I am curious as to what happens if Tua calls it quits, or if the team forces him to quit, or if the Doctors wont clear him medically. How will his contract affect the Dolphins Salary cap in those situations?

The picture is very different if Tua voluntarily retires vs. can't be medically cleared to play (see Wood, Eric  - remember his "non retirement" retirement presser?)

I dont think Tua will retire this year - he will be on IR, maybe that stretches for the rest of the season.  Then he will try to come back next year.  Guy is too young and too unproven to walk away willingly.  He will try to work back over the next 2 years, and then if he suffers something again he will call it.

Miami can't get out of that deal easily - they are cash strapped to an injured talent for a while.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheWei44 said:

Such an easy decision then, just retire!!  I would say that even if I weren't a Bills fan.

He would probably make out better if he was cut.

Just go out and throw interceptions every play. They would have no choice.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think that's true.   The money isn't guaranteed for retirement - a team can even ask for pro-rated portions of the signing bonus to be returned, although most will not.

I'm not talking about cash. I'm interested in cap. In the past, a player retiring is the same as him getting cut or traded: the remainder of the guaranteed money gets accelerated onto the next year’s cap. Like there has been a lot of conversation about Kelce's contract implication if he retires. I don't believe what amount of cash Tua gets paid matters for that purpose. I haven't seen anyone referencing solid information though so I'd love to know more.

Edited by Malazan

2 hours ago, Cray51 said:

I dont think Tua will retire this year - he will be on IR, maybe that stretches for the rest of the season.  Then he will try to come back next year.  Guy is too young and too unproven to walk away willingly.  He will try to work back over the next 2 years, and then if he suffers something again he will call it.

Miami can't get out of that deal easily - they are cash strapped to an injured talent for a while.

It seems to me they have to put Tua on IR to begin this whole thing.  How long he stays on it is unknown for now.

I'm wondering if any doctor will even clear him to play again. If you're the doctor that clears him and he ends up suffering a TBI after his next concussion, you could be sued for malpractice. We've seen him go into the fencing posture multiple times in his career and it's just on standard everyday NFL hits. At a certain point doesn't a doctor have to just say you are not fit to continue playing this sport? For Tua's sake I hope that's what happens. He gets his money and the Dolphins get the karma they deserve for putting him back on the field after his "back injury."

Edited by HappyDays

8 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I don’t think that’s right about guaranteed money not counting if someone retires

If he does not have medical approval to play they have to pay him the bulk of the contract. If he retires on his own they only owe this years salary.

8 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

To avoid a cap hit, could they keep him on the official roster for the length of the contract and just put him on IR every year?

Technically yes.  BUT, that adds all the non-guaranteed money to the contract.

It's really up to the doctors right now.  All this speculation doesn't mean spit until they give Tua their evaluations.

It's all revolving around whether he is cleared.

9 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

The way I look at it is that it’s GUARANTEED money-it’s money that is guaranteed to count against the cap. There have been guys injured later in their contracts and have retired (Eric Wood I believe is one of them) and their guaranteed money still counted. The major difference is this happened 2 games after Tua signed a huge deal 

You may be correct but I would like to see the language of his contract before I have an opinion.  Given his history, the team may have insisted on some special protection in the event of injury related premature retirement.