Tua Contract Question

steven50

FWIW I think it depends. IIRC in theory the dead cap hit is the money actually paid out which so far would be the roster or signing bonuses. In theory the only dead cap would be the signing bonus and the Dolphins could try to sue for it back. However, that would be a bad look. To take away the bag of the guy you said was a franchise player because you continuously put him in harms way? It would be a PR nightmare. And then there's whether any seasons has salary guaranteed for injury which I hope his agent did purely on the basis of professional competence.

On the field? It's ghoulish to gloat but purely thinking of ramifications (like I do with is losing Milano and Bernard) but even best case scenario they will need to wait a few weeks. I will not put it past the Dolphins to wheel him out to die so I hope Tua at least has the sense to stay on IR and get a real independent neurologist. I think any common sense from Tua will have him out for the year. If he retires? The Dolphins spent *big* on extensions. If they are starting from zero on a QB the 2025 might be in the tank too. Unless they are willing to tank they look to be in QB Draft purgatory: too good to get a top 10 pick, too bad to crack the playoffs.

Of course I was crowing the demise of the Jets and here they are...

5 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Doesn’t appear to be a big hit if he retires on his own accord. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/all-eyes-turn-to-tua-tagovailoas-status

Yeah, this will be an interesting case if he does walk away.  The key is "chooses."  If he has a football injury that forces him into retirement, I think they would owe him the money.  If Drs tell him that there is damage to his brain that means another hit could kill him is he "choosing" to walk away or is he forced to retire because of injury?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He won’t be able to retire this year they don’t have the room. 

so he retires next year (think Eric Wood) maybe not officially retired until after June 1st. 

that will cost them 24M against the cap No savings in 2025 

another 50Mish in dead money in 2026 

the dolphins on retirement can try and get cap relief for a prorated portion of the signing bonus. 

bit the reality he has 163M in guaranteed on injury. To what proration relief they can claw back from the signing bonus is small compared to the dead money that would need to be accounted for. 

Kills their cap for next two years. Will need a cheap QB on a rookie deal to try and manage a cap that is already projected 30M over next year with 37 on contract (one may retire). or a Russel Wilson where former team is paying all the contract and they can get him for about 2M. 

17 minutes ago, boyst said:

Per WGR - he would get $93mm if he retired right now

Then what is the point of $167 million guaranteed if it's not guaranteed? Isn't the guarantee exactly for a situation like this where even if you can't play you at least have the guaranteed payout?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStS3Pwmi0YUc6r8sRrAHx

It's my money and I need it now!

5 hours ago, dma0034 said:

It's a lot of money to walk away from. He should really look and try to get into Commentating or something but I'm not sure how much he's made and has but it's Generational wealth he'd step away from. Really sad

He’s already guaranteed generational wealth. $167M guaranteed. He’d be a fool if he takes another snap. If he does, I’ll have no sympathy for him when he can’t tie his own shoes at the age of 40. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:
1 hour ago, boyst said:

Per WGR - he would get $93mm if he retired right now

Such an easy decision then, just retire!!  I would say that even if I weren't a Bills fan.

Yes. BUT, he does NOT have to decide now, at all. He can heal...or not... and decide much later on.

Almost all his concussions but one it seems he just doesn't know how to fall/protect himself. The brutal one that he was whipped was the most damaging and one that's not on him. But when Milano barely pushed him backwards or what Hamlin did yesterday should NOT result in a concussion!

So if he plays again, he's pretty sure to have another one just by his lack of "self-protection" skills.

In hockey people seem to miss a full 12 months or more from a concussion.  Tua should take the full year too.

but, Could Tua sign a new contract for 10-15 years and spread his money out, all guaranteed, and retire now? 

spread the cap hit well into the future 

Edited by peterpan

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

FWIW I think it depends. IIRC in theory the dead cap hit is the money actually paid out which so far would be the roster or signing bonuses. In theory the only dead cap would be the signing bonus and the Dolphins could try to sue for it back. However, that would be a bad look. To take away the bag of the guy you said was a franchise player because you continuously put him in harms way? It would be a PR nightmare. And then there's whether any seasons has salary guaranteed for injury which I hope his agent did purely on the basis of professional competence.

On the field? It's ghoulish to gloat but purely thinking of ramifications (like I do with is losing Milano and Bernard) but even best case scenario they will need to wait a few weeks. I will not put it past the Dolphins to wheel him out to die so I hope Tua at least has the sense to stay on IR and get a real independent neurologist. I think any common sense from Tua will have him out for the year. If he retires? The Dolphins spent *big* on extensions. If they are starting from zero on a QB the 2025 might be in the tank too. Unless they are willing to tank they look to be in QB Draft purgatory: too good to get a top 10 pick, too bad to crack the playoffs.

Of course I was crowing the demise of the Jets and here they are...

All money already paid, but not yet accounted for must hit the cap. That’s the remaining signing bonus cap hit. Also all future guaranteed money must be paid and accounted for on the cap. IMO there would be no basis for the team to sue Tua for any of that if he retired due to legitimate injury. So who’s going to argue that it wouldn’t be legit?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

From the PFT article above

”His new contract carries more than $167 million in injury guarantees. He’ll give up that money if he chooses to walk away. Nearly all of his $42 million signing bonus could also be forfeited, if he affirmatively decides to retire now.”

if you have a career ending injury and retire, why wouldn’t your injury guaranteed money be paid out? 

I agree.  I think it's semantics.  It's why Eric Wood couldn't say "I'm retiring" at his press conference.

"The other side of this equation gets a little tougher. If Tua is able to pass a physical next March, the Dolphins will have the ability to release him, with "only" his $50M of 2025 compensation on the hook. Tua's 2026 compensation ($54M) becomes fully guaranteed on March 14th. A Post 6/1 release prior to this means $83.6M of dead cap across 2025/2026."

Edited by GrimboG
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Yes. BUT, he does NOT have to decide now, at all. He can heal...or not... and decide much later on.

Almost all his concussions but one it seems he just doesn't know how to fall/protect himself. The brutal one that he was whipped was the most damaging and one that's not on him. But when Milano barely pushed him backwards or what Hamlin did yesterday should NOT result in a concussion!

So if he plays again, he's pretty sure to have another one just by his lack of "self-protection" skills.

He spent significant time working with someone helping him with this but as often happens when things are happy fast athletes use muscle memory.

Josh worked on this during off-seasons to change his muscle memory for throwing but he still sometimes reverts to old form.

8 minutes ago, GrimboG said:

The best thing for Dolphins is Tua is medically cleared to play again like Hyde but he chooses to retire rather risk it again.

As someone who has recently undergone neurological testing post stroke it is likely he had one after last concussion so they have a baseline measurement to compare to recent injury/

10 minutes ago, GrimboG said:

"The other side of this equation gets a little tougher. If Tua is able to pass a physical next March, the Dolphins will have the ability to release him, with "only" his $50M of 2025 compensation on the hook. Tua's 2026 compensation ($54M) becomes fully guaranteed on March 14th. A Post 6/1 release prior to this means $83.6M of dead cap across 2025/2026."

This is going to be interesting.  Anyone who has watched his career knows he should be forced into retirement.  But what are the odds that the NFL's "independent" doctors clear him to play?  They seem pretty high to me.

That would turn it into a lawsuit and that could get ugly for the NFL.

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

From the PFT article above

”His new contract carries more than $167 million in injury guarantees. He’ll give up that money if he chooses to walk away. Nearly all of his $42 million signing bonus could also be forfeited, if he affirmatively decides to retire now.”

if you have a career ending injury and retire, why wouldn’t your injury guaranteed money be paid out? 

Yeah that seems odd to me