Tua Contract Question

steven50

I am not big on the numbers but I am curious as to what happens if Tua calls it quits, or if the team forces him to quit, or if the Doctors wont clear him medically. How will his contract affect the Dolphins Salary cap in those situations?

5 minutes ago, steven50 said:

I am not big on the numbers but I am curious as to what happens if Tua calls it quits, or if the team forces him to quit, or if the Doctors wont clear him medically. How will his contract affect the Dolphins Salary cap in those situations?

They are fvcked cap wise. They won't have to pay out of pocket because it's likely insured against injury but cap wise it doesn't matter who is on the hook for the money.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, steven50 said:

I'm curious about this because if he retires, they're on the hook cap wise for the guaranteed money (there is a lot of it) regardless of any cash paid out.

6 hours ago, Malazan said:

Yea, the Browns would have a good argument that Watson is concussed.

Personally my opinion is neither Browns' owner nor QB have enough brains to have concussions.

Edited by Punching Bag
typo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

That is the risk you take when you sign a guy.   I hate the dolphins but never will root for something like this when it is someone’s health.  Tua seems like a legit good guy.  Normally I am the guy saying people blow concussions out of the water but his seem more severe.  I doubt he hangs them up. 

I do love the Watson contract blowing up on the browns that was an unforced error by an idiot.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I believe it works essentially the same way as if they cut him.  They can put him on IR for the years and do a June1 retirement.  We had that happened when Eric Wood had a neck injury and had to retire

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, cage said:

I believe it works essentially the same way as if they cut him.  They can put him on IR for the years and do a June1 retirement.  We had that happened when Eric Wood had a neck injury and had to retire

Another option is they could keep him on the roster for another year and do it then to spread it out even more.  Tua would have to agreee but he likely would end up with more that way.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That is the risk you take when you sign a guy.   I hate the dolphins but never will root for something like this when it is someone’s health.  Tua seems like a legit good guy.  Normally I am the guy saying people blow concussions out of the water but his seem more severe.  I doubt he hangs them up. 

I do love the Watson contract blowing up on the browns that was an unforced error by an idiot.  

Though this isn't a random injury out of nowhere which could happen to anybody. They had two, arguably three, concussions to consider which they ultimately dismiss. And, not to be too much of a b about it, but Tua isn't in the grade A list of QBs. You have a Mahomes or a Josh or perhaps, with his future potential, a Stroud, you maybe take the risk because of what they provide on the field of play. Tua doesn't quite have the talent to make it worthwhile yet, possibly because even the grade B list isn't that long, they took the gamble. But it seemed ridiculous and risky at the time. Now even more so.

If the Brown's decision making was an unforced error I think it could be argued the Dolphins' move was a forced one - but an error all the same.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

The way I look at it is that it’s GUARANTEED money-it’s money that is guaranteed to count against the cap. There have been guys injured later in their contracts and have retired (Eric Wood I believe is one of them) and their guaranteed money still counted. The major difference is this happened 2 games after Tua signed a huge deal 

• Agree 1

Sadly, the Fins will clear Tua no matter the circumstances and he will continue to play, even when the rest of the league thinks he should hang it up.......they've done it before in the past, which tells me they will continue to do it unless the league steps in.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 5

From the PFT article above

”His new contract carries more than $167 million in injury guarantees. He’ll give up that money if he chooses to walk away. Nearly all of his $42 million signing bonus could also be forfeited, if he affirmatively decides to retire now.”

if you have a career ending injury and retire, why wouldn’t your injury guaranteed money be paid out? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Though this isn't a random injury out of nowhere which could happen to anybody. They had two, arguably three, concussions to consider which they ultimately dismiss. And, not to be too much of a b about it, but Tua isn't in the grade A list of QBs. You have a Mahomes or a Josh or perhaps, with his future potential, a Stroud, you maybe take the risk because of what they provide on the field of play. Tua doesn't quite have the talent to make it worthwhile yet, possibly because even the grade B list isn't that long, they took the gamble. But it seemed ridiculous and risky at the time. Now even more so.

If the Brown's decision making was an unforced error I think it could be argued the Dolphins' move was a forced one - but an error all the same.

I agree about Tua’s ability.  But as far as the concussions go they did not just dismiss them.   It comes down to risk tolerance.  They were in a tough position with him.  As Tua said the market is the market.  The bills will find that out next year when Josh gets 65 per year.