AFC East

Thrivefourfive

59 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I never understood Herbstreit moving to the NFL from college.  It just doesn't work for me and as much as I love Al Michael's, it's time for him to retire and work on his short game in his backyard. 

Herbstreit and Michaels don't work well together. They are both boring at this point. You need to have a much higher energy and colorful color commentator to pair with Michaels.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I never understood Herbstreit moving to the NFL from college.  It just doesn't work for me and as much as I love Al Michael's, it's time for him to retire and work on his short game in his backyard. 

They paid him a boatload of $ and private jet anywhere he wants

Like I said up thread -

1. Too early to declare Jets dead off one game.  
  2. Too early to declare Miami dead as we don't know Tua is done or even going to miss more than a game and they have an upcoming schedule where each game is winnable (if Tua plays).

Jets week 1 was a poor barometer considering it was the first time their QB played in 2 years and skipped all preseason.  While its just the Titans, they certainly fared better week 2 than week 1 and unreasonable to think they can still improve their overall play as Rodgers and the offense get more comfortable with each other.  

Miami has a relatively winnable schedule until they face us again in week 9.  They can stack some wins here if Tua doesn't miss much time given he is full go on coming back, not retiring and working to get back on the field.  

Do I think we will win the division still.  Absolutely.  But all this premature talk about skating to a divisional title was way too early as we have by far the hardest upcoming schedule and are down 3 of our best defensive players already for that entire stretch.  And while the 2-0 start is sexy, its also just a 1 game lead on both Jets, Miami, and NE (who has so far surprised and been tougher than people expected)

I love Josh Allens answer and approach whenever asked about the season ahead or games coming up...every week its about going 1-0.  Just focus on the game at hand and what you need to do to win that 1 game season.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Like I said up thread -

2. Too early to declare Miami dead as we don't know Tua is done or even going to miss a game and they have an easy upcoming schedule.

Jets week 1 was a poor barometer considering it was the first time their QB played in 2 years and skipped all preseason.  While its just the Titans, they certainly fared better week 2 than week 1 and unreasonable to think they can still improve their overall play as Rodgers and the offense get more comfortable with each other.  

Miami has a relatively soft schedule until they face us again in week 9.  They can stack some wins here if Tua doesn't miss any time given he is full go on coming back, not retiring and working to get back on the field.  

Do I think we will win the division still.  Absolutely.  But all this premature talk about skating to a divisional title was way too early as we have by far the hardest upcoming schedule and are down 3 of our best defensive players already for that entire stretch.  And while the 2-0 start is sexy, its also just a 1 game lead on both Jets, Miami, and NE (who has so far surprised and been tougher than people expected).  

I love Josh Allens answer and approach whenever asked about the season ahead or games coming up...every week its about going 1-0.  Just focus on the game at hand and what you need to do to win that 1 game season.  

Tua is going to miss time. The question is how much?

• Agree 1

I think Jets/Patriots will be a good barometer, three games in, of where the Jets are. 

They were the better team against the Titans, but I'm not sure how much more mobile Rodgers will get as the season goes on.. if anything, he'll accumulate hits and who knows how that will affect his body.  Arm-wise, from the pocket, he's still that guy.. but those scrambles where he launches it down the field don't look to be on the menu any longer. 

Do they get something worked out with Hassan Reddick at some point?  Because now they're also down Jermaine Johnson for the year.  

Dolphins need to stack wins over these next four games, and if they can't because Tua is on the shelf for a few weeks, that really puts them behind the 8 ball. 

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Tua is going to miss time. The question is how much?

He may...he may not.  All he has to do is clear concussion protocol, and with concussions every one and every person are different.  If I had to guess I think he misses this next game and is back the week after.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Like I said up thread -

2. Too early to declare Miami dead as we don't know Tua is done or even going to miss a game and they have an easy upcoming schedule.

Miami has a relatively soft schedule until they face us again in week 9.  They can stack some wins here if Tua doesn't miss any time given he is full go on coming back, not retiring and working to get back on the field.  

Do I think we will win the division still.  Absolutely.  But all this premature talk about skating to a divisional title was way too early as we have by far the hardest upcoming schedule and are down 3 of our best defensive players already for that entire stretch.  And while the 2-0 start is sexy, its also just a 1 game lead on both Jets, Miami, and NE (who has so far surprised and been tougher than people expected).  

Miami is virtually done even if tua immediately returns imo…their pass blocking seems absolutely atrocious again which really limits hill/waddle stretching the field.  Tua can’t seem to improvise when the timing gets disrupted on those quick passing plays and the better defensive coordinators in the league don’t have much trouble pulling that off.  Beating a good team is just such an uphill battle for them because they’re masking so many inefficiencies with their offensive scheme that all get exposed 

Jets are the team to look out for…they’re only gonna get better offensively.  The defense is looking a little shaky early on though…the titans probably win that game pretty comfortably if Levis wasn’t an idiot 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

There’s almost no chance he comes back before their week 6 bye…I think he’ll probably get IR-ed

Well the doctors haven't ruled that out, nor have they said he will be out that long either.  If he goes on IR, Fins are done for sure as they won't win many, if any, games with that mess of an OL with Thompson.  

I am just saying, its premature to declare our division title a cake walk given how hard our schedule is with Jets still there, Pats playing tougher than people thought (although I expect that to fade some) and Tua still having the possibility to not miss as much time as people originally thought.

"You know who the beasts of the AFC East...

We gonna grind this thing out for 17 weeks...

You Hatin' on the Bills then you way off...

Talk is cheap, meet us in the playoffs...

Gameday, you know we goin' off...

Got your team captain shakin' at the coin toss..."

Edited by Big Turk

40 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Miami is virtually done even if tua immediately returns imo…their pass blocking seems absolutely atrocious again which really limits hill/waddle stretching the field.  Tua can’t seem to improvise when the timing gets disrupted on those quick passing plays and the better defensive coordinators in the league don’t have much trouble pulling that off.  Beating a good team is just such an uphill battle for them because they’re masking so many inefficiencies with their offensive scheme that all get exposed 

Jets are the team to look out for…they’re only gonna get better offensively.  The defense is looking a little shaky early on though…the titans probably win that game pretty comfortably if Levis wasn’t an idiot 😂

To be clear, I agree with everything you said about both teams here.  But the schedule we have vs them is where I take pause on our eventual divisional title being a cake walk like the OP suggested.  I prefer Josh's approach where its just focus on going 1-0 each week and hopefully this is the week we finally smash the Jags like we always should but somehow find a way to play down to their level.  

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well the doctors haven't ruled that out, nor have they said he will be out that long either.  If he goes on IR, Fins are done for sure as they won't win many, if any, games with that mess of an OL with Thompson.  

I am just saying, its premature to declare our division title a cake walk given how hard our schedule is with Jets still there, Pats playing tougher than people thought (although I expect that to fade some) and Tua still having the possibility to not miss as much time as people originally thought.

I don’t mean he’ll go on season ending ir necessarily…it just doesn’t make much sense from an optics or player safety or tua’s long term health perspective to bring him back before the bye and at that point he’s already missing 3 games. Severe concussion which is what that looked like could easily be in the 6-8 week range to clear protocol as it is 

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t mean he’ll go on season ending ir necessarily…it just doesn’t make much sense from an optics or player safety or tua’s long term health perspective to bring him back before the bye and at that point he’s already missing 3 games. Severe concussion which is what that looked like could easily be in the 6-8 week range to clear protocol as it is 

Oh I know what you meant, 4 game IR.  If he does in fact go on 4 game IR they are done too in terms of divisional race as they won't win many, if any, games with Thompson with how bad they are in the trenches and will far too far behind.  But if Tua misses a game or two, then they can still potentially stay in the mix with their schedule compared to ours.  

This is our upcoming schedule:  Jags, Balt, Hou, Jets, Ten, Sea, Mia, Colts, KC, SF, LAR, Det, Pats, Jets, Pats

There isn't a game on our schedule we can't win...but there are also not a lot of "easy" games ahead either.  Between now and week 15 (Lions) we have to face 6 teams expected to be among the best in their respective conferences coming into the season.  Then we end the season with 3 straight divisional games, one of which is with Jets if they manage to keep pace at all.    

So for me, I just think it was way too early to propose us "skating" to the divisional title as we need to first focus on getting through each week and doing that over a tough stretch without 3 of our best defenders.   And it starts with us reversing our recent trend of playing down to the Jags on Monday night.  I do expect us to smash them, but I thought that in the games we lost to them too lol.  

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I'm a big fan of Levis and his never say die attitude, but they could be 2-0 in a bad division if he was more careful with the ball