Coaching clinic in Miami

Kirby Jackson

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I thought it was McDermott and staff's best work, even above the Ravens playoff game

One wk 2 game vs the Dokphins isn't enough to change my opinion of our prospects w him

oh I know.  I believe that the only thing that would change your mind is to win a SB-  but if the defense gave up a ton of points in the playoffs leading up to the SB, you might still want to get rid of him. 

On 9/13/2024 at 7:29 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

We always dominate McDaniel and the Dolphins. I'll give McDermott credit for that. Very important to show up against a division rival like that.

However... Let's see how prepared and disciplined we look next Monday against the Jags which seem to be on the opposite end of McD's coaching spectrum...

Does this mean much?

Sure, the Jags have weirdly had our number. 

Zach Taylor can’t beat the Browns. 

BB and Brady used to inexplicably lose the Dolphins in Miami with Philbin and Tannehill like 50% of the time

Some teams have bad matchups. Doesn’t make them bad coaches. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Oh I don’t know-  maybe missing 3 of our 4 top Lbers and playing Aj Klein 💯 of the snaps?   No benford, injured Douglas, toasted poyer and Hyde.  

Andy Reid, Mahomes and Kelce are all time greats.  Could possibly go down as the greatest offensive threesome in nfl history and everyone on that offense was healthy.  They beat most teams.  

Not to mention Von's knee, Groot's foot and DaQuan Jones playing with one arm.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

There’s also been a massive difference of the players on the field.  Losing some of our best players matters?  No?

I don’t know for sure but averaging 3+ TDs is tough over that period of time

Who was lost in the first game and the 2nd game? To my recall we were very healthy on D in the first 2 playoff games.

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Oh I don’t know-  maybe missing 3 of our 4 top Lbers and playing Aj Klein 💯 of the snaps?   No benford, injured Douglas, toasted poyer and Hyde.  

Andy Reid, Mahomes and Kelce are all time greats.  Could possibly go down as the greatest offensive threesome in nfl history and everyone on that offense was healthy.  They beat most teams.  

So they lost those players in all 3 playoff games they got blown out on D in or just the last one?

Edited by Big Turk

20 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

To your later comment in this topic it makes total sense to move Epenesa and also Rousseau inside occasionally to position their wingspans in the passing lanes more effectively... especially on those downs when DaQuan isn't in the game.

I believe this will eventually happen more when Solomon starts getting snaps on the edge.

Let me ask you two some questions:

1) Do you think McDermott's mantra about having a "growth mindset" is bullspit? In other words do you think he's incapable of changing his ways?

2) If you believe he's set in his ways and cannot improve and that his coachspeak is bs, how is it that the offensive doctrine has changed so drastically from previous years?

3) Do you think the new DC is incapable of bringing a fresh approach and effective strategies... do you think he's just going to base his playcalling on what he thinks McDermott would do?

4) Are you capable of changing the way you think or are you resistant to evolving in your opinions?

5) Do you have more of a commitment to growth than does McDermott?

The first time I heard the term NASCAR pass rush used was when it was coined by the New York Giants circa 2015. It referred to them putting 4 edge rushers on the field at the same time without any tackles... a race to the QB.

I think their NASCAR package included any 4 of Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck, Osi Omenyiora, Matthias Kiwanuka and Jason Pierre-Paul.

I want to know what specifically changes in the playoffs from the regular season that caused them to give up 38, 42 and 27 points versus 20,20 and 17.

Same team, same players, same scheme...drastically different results.

And yes, I realize the last game was ridiculous due to injuries but they had all their defenders in the first 2 so that isn't a valid excuse. Ironically they gave up the least amount of points to them in the playoffs when they were the most injured.

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I want to know what specifically changes in the playoffs from the regular season that caused them to give up 38, 42 and 27 points versus 20,20 and 17.

Same team, same players, same scheme...drastically different results.

And yes, I realize the last game was ridiculous due to injuries but they are all their defenders in the first 2 so that isn't a valid excuse. Ironically they gave up the least amount of points to them in the playoffs when they were the most injured.

Big Turk, I don't profess to know what changes from the regular season to the playoffs.

However I do believe that McDermott is his own worst critic, that he's self-examining and that he embraces a growth mindset. I believe he evolves in his positions. So based on those beliefs, I am optimistic for the near term future of this football team. Also I don't appreciate those who constantly invoke the playoff losses to assert their joylessness over other people's joy.

4 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Big Turk, I don't profess to know what changes from the regular season to the playoffs.

However I do believe that McDermott is his own worst critic, that he's self-examining and that he embraces a growth mindset. I believe he evolves in his positions. So based on those beliefs, I am optimistic for the near term future of this football team. Also I don't appreciate those who constantly invoke the playoff losses to assert their joylessness over other people's joy.

And I don't appreciate a defense that routinely plays much worse in the playoffs than it does in the regular season when our main opponents in the Chiefs and the Bengals have defenses that do the exact opposite.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Who was lost in the first game and the 2nd game? To my recall we were very healthy on D in the first 2 playoff games.

So they lost those players in all 3 playoff games they got blown out on D in or just the last one?

2021- trdaviius played in the 21 regular season beating.  It was Dane and Levi in the 13 second debacle.  

Our defense in the 2020 had a terrible D line. Many thought that was our best chance- I thought the 2020 team lacked the d to compete with them.  They beat us both times that season

56 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

And I don't appreciate a defense that routinely plays much worse in the playoffs than it does in the regular season when our main opponents in the Chiefs and the Bengals have defenses that do the exact opposite.

I don’t dwell on it and remain hopeful for the future.

Same way they have every time they played them. This is nothing new. McDermott figured out how to defeat McDaniel's scheme in their first meeting and McDaniel has never adjusted to do anything to counter it.

McDaniel's scheme is simply highly flawed and always has been. Predicated on flash and glitz with little substance.

All that motion, misdirection, fakes, etc happen because they have no fundamentals to rely on and they use those to try and make up for it.

That's why they get their asses handed to them every time they play a fundamentally sound defense that doesn't go for any of their nonsense and takes away deep passes with a 2 high shell and clogs the middle to take away crossers while jamming their WRs to disrupt timing.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 9/14/2024 at 5:08 PM, Big Turk said:

We need better defensive coaching vs the Chiefs for sure, and Cincy dismantled Frazier's defense.

We need more guys healthy on that side of the line too...ridiculous how many key starters we lose down the stretch.

We will see how Babich grows into the role and if he can produce better results down the stretch.

On 9/15/2024 at 12:03 AM, billsfan89 said:

I think Bills fans myself included at times forgets how good McD is as a regular season defensive coach. The Bills regularly hold teams to sub 200 passing yards even better offenses get held down consistently. McD is easily one of the top 3 defensive minds in football especially in the regular season.

Where I think you can criticize McD defensively is his playoff resume but then there’s always the nuance context of injuries and such but I think for the most part McD’s defenses have more consistently struggled in the playoffs.

They really haven't consistently struggled in the playoffs. Against most teams they've been very good indeed.

They have consistently struggled in the playoffs against the Chiefs.

Fair enough if you want to add in that Bengals game also, but the team themselves said they just just didn't didn't have any juice, that they ran out of gas with the Damar situation and all the rest of the crap that happened that season.

• Agree 1