Coaching clinic in Miami

Kirby Jackson

McD knows this Dolphins team well.  The strategy was the correct one.  Tua needs everything to go perfectly on every single passing play because he lacks the physical ability to overcome a bad play call, a receiver running a slightly wrong route, a lineman missing a block etc.  So the right strategy is to make them use as many plays as possible because eventually something bad will happen.  

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

just watching the pick six again..... 3rd down, obvious passing situation NASCAR package on the field: Von, Ed, AJE, Groot and it was AJE from that interior position that flushed Tua out and forced the throw away. 

We have seen a ton of that NASCAR style look through two games compared to how much Frazier and even McDermott went to it. I do wonder if part of it is we don't have a natural backup 3T to Ed. Carter is there on the depth chart but he isn't really a penetrator he is more a 1T/3T tweener. So in previous years where they maybe felt Ed and Phillips was enough interior pass rush on 3rd and long they'd rather bump AJ inside. I like it though. They are our four best pass rushers. On critical obvious passing downs why not use all four of them?

To your later comment in this topic it makes total sense to move Epenesa and also Rousseau inside occasionally to position their wingspans in the passing lanes more effectively... especially on those downs when DaQuan isn't in the game.

I believe this will eventually happen more when Solomon starts getting snaps on the edge.

5 hours ago, DJB said:

Rewatch this game and look how much cushion our DB’s gave the Bengals . No wonder we never give up 20 yard plays because the defenders are almost 20 yards back . Oh and when you are done watching that go watch 13 seconds. McD is a good coach against bad teams. He’s terrible in the playoffs when it matters most . 

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Too bad this doesn't translate to the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yes but the thing I don't get is how the Bills handle the Chiefs in the regular season defensively but completely are inept against them in the playoffs.

Let me ask you two some questions:

1) Do you think McDermott's mantra about having a "growth mindset" is bullspit? In other words do you think he's incapable of changing his ways?

2) If you believe he's set in his ways and cannot improve and that his coachspeak is bs, how is it that the offensive doctrine has changed so drastically from previous years?

3) Do you think the new DC is incapable of bringing a fresh approach and effective strategies... do you think he's just going to base his playcalling on what he thinks McDermott would do?

4) Are you capable of changing the way you think or are you resistant to evolving in your opinions?

5) Do you have more of a commitment to growth than does McDermott?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't really know why it's called that but it's just a word NFL defensive coordinators have taken to using for all out pass rushing dlines with defensive ends inside as tackles. 

The first time I heard the term NASCAR pass rush used was when it was coined by the New York Giants circa 2015. It referred to them putting 4 edge rushers on the field at the same time without any tackles... a race to the QB.

I think their NASCAR package included any 4 of Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck, Osi Omenyiora, Matthias Kiwanuka and Jason Pierre-Paul.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't really know why it's called that but it's just a word NFL defensive coordinators have taken to using for all out pass rushing dlines with defensive ends inside as tackles. 

Thanks bud.  Never heard that one before but there is probably tons of stuff I still havent heard.  Makes sense to me now. Off to the races!

Edited by Scott7975

There's alot of criticism that the McBeane combo gets, but the one characteristic that I'm always amazed at is the ability for them to find players that are coachable.  Taking lower round players (a perfect example is Benford) and molding them into solid players is top-shelf stuff.   Its also interesting to me to see how players that were good contributors on the Bills roster become marginal / fringe players with other teams (think Dane Jackson).    

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

That may be some recency bias. I landed in London within an hour of the Bills landings, and my take away is that that game was TOTAL BS!

We were the “home team” where they have been cultivating a fan base since 2013. They arrive a week earlier than us. We lost key players to serious injuries on their crappy field. 

I’d like to see us take it out on them!!! 

It's not just last year's game, which was a complete team/coaching debacle. The travel-timing excuse is bs. Other teams traveled to London on our schedule and still won, and didnt take 2 more weeks to adjust after getting back.

But in 2021 we lost in Jacksonville 9-6 in a mess of a game.

Barely squeaked out a home win in 2019.

And of course, the 2017 playoff loss.

Could go all the way back to the EJ London meltdown as well.

Just something about our franchises, we rarely match up well against them. Of course a lot of that (pre-2017) obviously isnt on McD, but something about our rivalry with Jacksonville just seems stacked against us.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Giants used "NASCAR" as their call for their all-DE line scheme they put together to beat Brady and the undefeated Pats. NASCAR racing, all fast DEs off to the races...

All the fame and publicity from that Super Bowl made the label popular. Folks just took it from there.

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's not just last year's game, which was a complete team/coaching debacle. The travel-timing excuse is bs. Other teams traveled to London on our schedule and still won, and didnt take 2 more weeks to adjust after getting back.

But in 2021 we lost in Jacksonville 9-6 in a mess of a game.

Barely squeaked out a home win in 2019.

And of course, the 2017 playoff loss.

Could go all the way back to the EJ London meltdown as well.

Just something about our franchises, we rarely match up well against them. Of course a lot of that (pre-2017) obviously isnt on McD, but something about our rivalry with Jacksonville just seems stacked against us.

They were there a full week ahead of us last year in Roger’s  little “experiment.” You are incorrect here, trying to back up your preconceived notions. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/13/2024 at 12:58 AM, HappyDays said:

I'm sorry man but he is acting like using motion to identify man coverage and using pick routes are novel concepts that nobody has ever thought of before. This is football 101 stuff. Of course there's nothing wrong with using fundamental concepts to create successful plays.

Anyways obviously I'm the lone voice on this side of the argument so I'll give it a rest. Kind of like last week I get that it is hard to find fault when the team is putting up 30+ points. But I have some nagging concerns about Brady's ability to go toe to toe with the true elite offensive minds across the league.

I think you are underrating that play (at least).  Watch the JT O’Sullivan breakdown (it’s in another thread and is beyond my capabilities to post a link to it).  They ran a perfect pick/mesh after putting the key defender in conflict.  Wasn’t just using motion to id the defense.  Also the choreography shows attention to detail and quality practice habits.  That was elite play design and execution and Brady is using Samuel to confuse the defense throughout the games.  

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yes but the thing I don't get is how the Bills handle the Chiefs in the regular season defensively but completely are inept against them in the playoffs.

Oh I don’t know-  maybe missing 3 of our 4 top Lbers and playing Aj Klein 💯 of the snaps?   No benford, injured Douglas, toasted poyer and Hyde.  

Andy Reid, Mahomes and Kelce are all time greats.  Could possibly go down as the greatest offensive threesome in nfl history and everyone on that offense was healthy.  They beat most teams.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's not just one time last year...it's been all 3 times in the playoffs.

Regular season we hold them to 20, 20 and 17. Playoffs they score 38, 42, 27(only because Hardman fumbles going into the end zone at the 1 yard line).

That's a massive difference.

There’s also been a massive difference of the players on the field.  Losing some of our best players matters?  No?

12 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Hard to believe this one is true with the dominance Brady had over us.  Anyone know if this is actual true?

I don’t know for sure but averaging 3+ TDs is tough over that period of time

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He did in the gameball thread in fairness to him. He acknowledged this was primarily a coaching win.

Good to hear!!  Thanks for the update.  I haven’t opened that thread yet.  

I think Bills fans myself included at times forgets how good McD is as a regular season defensive coach. The Bills regularly hold teams to sub 200 passing yards even better offenses get held down consistently. McD is easily one of the top 3 defensive minds in football especially in the regular season.

Where I think you can criticize McD defensively is his playoff resume but then there’s always the nuance context of injuries and such but I think for the most part McD’s defenses have more consistently struggled in the playoffs.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think you are underrating that play (at least).  Watch the JT O’Sullivan breakdown (it’s in another thread and is beyond my capabilities to post a link to it).  They ran a perfect pick/mesh after putting the key defender in conflict.  Wasn’t just using motion to id the defense.  Also the choreography shows attention to detail and quality practice habits.  That was elite play design and execution and Brady is using Samuel to confuse the defense throughout the games.  

I did underrate that play and I give Brady a ton of credit for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1