Coaching clinic in Miami

Kirby Jackson

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hell of a stat. Sean McDermott is a darn good football coach.

Rewatch this game and look how much cushion our DB’s gave the Bengals . No wonder we never give up 20 yard plays because the defenders are almost 20 yards back . 

Oh and when you are done watching that go watch 13 seconds. 

McD is a good coach against bad teams. He’s terrible in the playoffs when it matters most . 

• Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Rewatch this game and look how much cushion our DB’s gave the Bengals . No wonder we never give up 20 yard plays because the defenders are almost 20 yards back . 

McD is a good coach against bad teams. He’s terrible in the playoffs when it matters most . 

Cool man. That’s a hot take I don’t think anyone here has heard before. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I’ve always thought it was reasonable to allow (and expect) people to get better at their job over time.  He’s a pretty good coach, and he’s getting better. 

Now, having said that, we will lay an egg and the pitchforks will come out! It’s like the sun coming up, it just happens.  🤷‍♂️

19 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Sure. Swing pass to the RB to beat the blitz. That is basic offensive coaching. I'm not saying Brady is outright bad, just serviceable. I don't think he really elevates the offense the way that some of the top coaches do.

You've picked the wrong game to complain about play calling. 

Just now, Augie said:

I’ve always thought it was reasonable to allow (and expect) people to get better at their job over time.  He’s a pretty good coach, and he’s getting better. 

Now, having said that, we will lay an egg and the pitchforks will come out! It’s like the sun coming up, it just happens.  🤷‍♂️

Going from the Dolphins to the Jags is a great case study in the extremes of McD's coaching. He always owns the Dolphins, we always drop bad games in the worst ways to the Jags. Let's see how he does against Pederson next.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Going from the Dolphins to the Jags is a great case study in the extremes of McD's coaching. He always owns the Dolphins, we always drop bad games in the worst ways to the Jags. Let's see how he does against Pederson next.

That may be some recency bias. I landed in London within an hour of the Bills landings, and my take away is that that game was TOTAL BS!

We were the “home team” where they have been cultivating a fan base since 2013. They arrive a week earlier than us. We lost key players to serious injuries on their crappy field. 

I’d like to see us take it out on them!!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Too bad this doesn't translate to the playoffs.

One baffling beat down by the Bengals, and the rest of the league struggles with the Chiefs. 

I prefer looking forward. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

One baffling beat down by the Bengals, and the rest of the league struggles with the Chiefs. 

I prefer looking forward. 

Yes but the thing I don't get is how the Bills handle the Chiefs in the regular season defensively but completely are inept against them in the playoffs.

20 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed on McDermott, masterclass from his defense tonight. He has McDaniel's number.

I will be a wet blanket about Brady though. Thought it was a middling night from him. I still see very little creativity from his offense. Too vanilla for my liking, a lot of times he is asking the players to just win their matchups without using the scheme to help them. He continues to not use play action appropriately. I see a large gap between him and the top offensive coaches in this league.

I am not sure I agree here... but will acknowledge those thoughts crossed my mind. I am pretty sure Josh did not run by design with his hand. So I think they were focused on the running game and getting the ball out quick to avoid hits. Game played right into it and it helped us run the clock. That said I would like to see a deep threat emerge wondered what happened to Coleman too 

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes but the thing I don't get is how the Bills handle the Chiefs in the regular season defensively but completely are inept against them in the playoffs.

It may come down to offense.

We got bigger and more physical, and won’t be bullied by no-flag playoff football. It could be that simple. 

EDIT: Injuries causing us to ask retired people to delay a vacation may have been a factor.  So there is also that. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

It may come down to offense.

We got bigger and more physical, and won’t be bullied by no-flag playoff football. It could be that simple. 

EDIT: Injuries causing us to ask retired people to delay a vacation may have been a factor.  So there is also that. 

It's not just one time last year...it's been all 3 times in the playoffs.

Regular season we hold them to 20, 20 and 17. Playoffs they score 38, 42, 27(only because Hardman fumbles going into the end zone at the 1 yard line).

That's a massive difference.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DJB said:

Edwards style will not be missed

30 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Too bad this doesn't translate to the playoffs.

Harsh but true enough

2 hours ago, DJB said:

Held the Chiefs to 20, 20 and 17 points in the 3 regular season meetings. Something changes in the playoffs.

Allowed 38, 42 and 27(not 34 only due to Hardman fumbling at the half yard line) in the 3 playoff games.

Edited by Big Turk

20 minutes ago, JP51 said:

I am not sure I agree here... but will acknowledge those thoughts crossed my mind. I am pretty sure Josh did not run by design with his hand. So I think they were focused on the running game and getting the ball out quick to avoid hits. Game played right into it and it helped us run the clock. That said I would like to see a deep threat emerge wondered what happened to Coleman too 

its a long season

Never show what you have up your sleeve until necessary

teams study each other of course, the more vanilla you can play early on the better.

And its not like the Bills needed to pass yet !

Keep running till they can stop it

Heck even the run game was basic.

Going to be a helluva season me thinks !

• Like (+1) 1