Coaching clinic in Miami

Kirby Jackson

I completely agree that it was a coaching master class.

For the Bills defense to do what it did last night, without arguably its three best players in Taron, Milano, and Bernard, was incredible.

The Bills played great team defense, were fundamentally sound, committed only one accepted penalty, were generally mistake free, and played smart, efficient, mistake-free football.

I thought the defense improved leaps and bounds from game one to game two. I am encouraged about that unit going forward, even with the injuries.

Offensively, what has stood out to me is very few clunky or disjointed looking drives. Very few three-and-outs. Generally, they're moving the ball well and efficiently and with diverse looks, and then when they get to the red zone, they're scoring touchdowns at a good rate and not settling for field goals. With the caveat that Brady's offense is new and that eventually opposing defenses are gonna have more tape on it, and he's gonna need to have counter-punches, I still must say: so far, so good. Averaging 32 points a game. Running the ball well, spreading it around in the passing game, and not getting too cute.

Well coached game on both sides. Well executed by the players. Very impressive night, in my opinion, from both an Xs and Os and Jimmies and Joes standpoint.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Supposedly smoot was someone they were using in that sub package as well, so should be interesting to see him when he returns.  

Yea he is a more traditional bigger end who slides inside on passing downs. I also wonder though if AJE's height and length against two shorter Quarterbacks the first two weeks have been a part of the plan?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm sorry man but he is acting like using motion to identify man coverage and using pick routes are novel concepts that nobody has ever thought of before. This is football 101 stuff. Of course there's nothing wrong with using fundamental concepts to create successful plays.

Anyways obviously I'm the lone voice on this side of the argument so I'll give it a rest. Kind of like last week I get that it is hard to find fault when the team is putting up 30+ points. But I have some nagging concerns about Brady's ability to go toe to toe with the true elite offensive minds across the league.

I guess my next question would be what type of innovative play design are you seeking if this is football 101?

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been a critic of McDermott for the last few years. Today was his best game IMO. That holds for his coordinators as well. That team was so prepared!! The game plan was perfect and executed at an elite level. They deserve their flowers for this masterful effort. 

They always seem super prepared vs Miami especially. It makes us appreciate McD and his coaching style here and the culture he’s created.  Great stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Logic said:

I completely agree that it was a coaching master class.

For the Bills defense to do what it did last night, without arguably its three best players in Taron, Milano, and Bernard, was incredible.

The Bills played great team defense, were fundamentally sound, committed only one accepted penalty, were generally mistake free, and played smart, efficient, mistake-free football.

I thought the defense improved leaps and bounds from game one to game two. I am encouraged about that unit going forward, even with the injuries.

Offensively, what has stood out to me is very few clunky or disjointed looking drives. Very few three-and-outs. Generally, they're moving the ball well and efficiently and with diverse looks, and then when they get to the red zone, they're scoring touchdowns at a good rate and not settling for field goals. With the caveat that Brady's offense is new and that eventually opposing defenses are gonna have more tape on it, and he's gonna need to have counter-punches, I still must say: so far, so good. Averaging 32 points a game. Running the ball well, spreading it around in the passing game, and not getting too cute.

Well coached game on both sides. Well executed by the players. Very impressive night, in my opinion, from both an Xs and Os and Jimmies and Joes standpoint.

You can see the players confidence and trust in the coaching and systems grow with each half of football.  Can’t wait until game 6-7 when the players are fully bought in and the coaches have a better understanding of what each guy can and cannot do.

Brady’s ability to change the offense from week 1 to short week 2 was impressive.  In week 1, 12 personnel was run most of the game.  Last night, it was mostly 11 personnel and they still ran the ball often and well.  They also set out to feature Shakir and Kincaid.  My guess is Brady will have another new wrinkle for Jacksonville.  By the time we get to week 6, DCs’ will literally have no idea what the Bills tendencies are, because there aren’t any.  We can run down your throat, go heavy, go 5 wide, feature a running Josh or feature throwing Josh.  We have the personnel to run just about anything and the key is the Oline that keeps Josh clean and opens holes for Cook and Co.  It’s just fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 2

Whether Brady is vanilla or not, the results have been a lot more pleasing to the eye than Dorsey's offense.

The combination of Dorsey + Allen was like taking a kid with ADHD and tossing him 40 Pixie Stix and a list of 10 shot plays scribbled on a napkin and calling it an offense.

Brady + Allen is carrot sticks and celery stalks and a copy of The 7 Habits of Hall of Fame Quarterbacks.

This offense has been methodical and highly efficient. We stay on script, rarely getting behind in down and distance.  Allen is playing within the confines of the scheme and can always dial up flashes of brilliance when things matter most or when a play breaks down.  Like that throw to Ty Johnson on 3rd down to setup a TD, or rifling the ball into Shakir in triple coverage when we absolutely needed a 1st down.  He's not trying to produce magic on every single play.  For two weeks straight hes looked like the guy who played a perfect game against New England in negative 50 degree weather.   

Is this what Low Positive was supposed to be?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Just to follow up on the "swing pass to the RB to beat the blitz was a basic call" discussion...I thought it was brilliantly designed, with the motions, misdirection, and built in rub/pick action. Anything but basic.

• Like (+1) 8

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed on McDermott, masterclass from his defense tonight. He has McDaniel's number.

I will be a wet blanket about Brady though. Thought it was a middling night from him. I still see very little creativity from his offense. Too vanilla for my liking, a lot of times he is asking the players to just win their matchups without using the scheme to help them. He continues to not use play action appropriately. I see a large gap between him and the top offensive coaches in this league.

You know, I think there is some room to ask for more from Brady. I don’t think you’re way off base.

What I will give him credit for is:

Keeping Josh out of harms way in a game where we didn’t need him to be Superman. I personally suspect his left hand is actually broken.

Clearly adjusting from Week 1 to get Kincaid more involved by using him as a screen guy behind the LOS. You can debate if this is a very effective way to use him or not, but there was a clear effort to get him more involved and he turned a couple 3-4 yard passes in longer gains.

18 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Whether Brady is vanilla or not, the results have been a lot more pleasing to the eye than Dorsey's offense.

The combination of Dorsey + Allen was like taking a kid with ADHD and tossing him 40 Pixie Stix and a list of 10 shot plays scribbled on a napkin and calling it an offense.

Brady + Allen is carrot sticks and celery stalks and a copy of The 7 Habits of Hall of Fame Quarterbacks.

This offense has been methodical and highly efficient. We stay on script, rarely getting behind in down and distance.  Allen is playing within the confines of the scheme and can always dial up flashes of brilliance when things matter most or when a play breaks down.  Like that throw to Ty Johnson on 3rd down to setup a TD, or rifling the ball into Shakir in triple coverage when we absolutely needed a 1st down.  He's not trying to produce magic on every single play.  For two weeks straight hes looked like the guy who played a perfect game against New England in negative 50 degree weather.   

Exactly right.

Allen has made exactly one “mistake” in 2 games, a fumble from a blindside hit. He is playing almost perfect ball right now.

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone who wants McDermott replaced should mind the phrase "careful what you wish for."  He's clearly one of the better coaches in the league.  He gameplans well, we made great adjustments in last week's game, and I think his in-game decisions have improved over time.

You see other coaches around the league and realize we have it pretty good. Of course there are some better coaches, but even McDaniel last night - what was that before the end of the 1st half?  And no urgency in the 4th quarter.  Miami was a mess last night. I get that Tua's injury knocked them off balance, but you see this kind of stuff every Sunday from many teams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Beast said:

Good God. They didn’t need to get fancy tonight. The gameplan was perfect. And no creativity? Did you see the first TD? 

Or the “disguised pick” Wheel route to Cook. That was a thing of beauty and the WRs who set it up sold it nicely. The zone run block has been creative and also set up a long run TD for Cook. Idk what this guy sees? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

People have complained that we don't scheme guys open as well as Andy Reid's offense.  On that 1st TD, Cook catches the ball at the 17 yard line or so and isn't touched until he hits the pylon.  On the endzone view, no Dolphin is in the frame until he hits the goaline.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

This I 100% agree with. He's done a good job actually game planning for the opponent and using his players' strengths appropriately. Dorsey on the other hand appeared to be pulling random plays out of a hat. The floor has been raised significantly since Brady took over.

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been a critic of McDermott for the last few years. Today was his best game IMO. That holds for his coordinators as well. That team was so prepared!! The game plan was perfect and executed at an elite level. They deserve their flowers for this masterful effort. 

I will also pile on.  As an outspoken critic of our HC, I've been pleasantly surprised by the discipline he's showing so far this season.  Rallied against the Cards after halftime, and put together a master class against the Fish.  Well done.  Do this in the playoffs and all will be forgiven.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

just watching the pick six again..... 3rd down, obvious passing situation NASCAR package on the field: Von, Ed, AJE, Groot and it was AJE from that interior position that flushed Tua out and forced the throw away. 

We have seen a ton of that NASCAR style look through two games compared to how much Frazier and even McDermott went to it. I do wonder if part of it is we don't have a natural backup 3T to Ed. Carter is there on the depth chart but he isn't really a penetrator he is more a 1T/3T tweener. So in previous years where they maybe felt Ed and Phillips was enough interior pass rush on 3rd and long they'd rather bump AJ inside. I like it though. They are our four best pass rushers. On critical obvious passing downs why not use all four of them?

What is NASCAR?

4 hours ago, DJB said:

McD always looks good against crap teams  which we played in Arz and Miami

He needs to get it done vs good teams when it matters most 

So basically dont talk about it until divisional round of playoffs.  Maybe we should wait till the superbowl.  This team has been a top team for the last 4+ years.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1