Coaching clinic in Miami

Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed on McDermott, masterclass from his defense tonight. He has McDaniel's number.

I will be a wet blanket about Brady though. Thought it was a middling night from him. I still see very little creativity from his offense. Too vanilla for my liking, a lot of times he is asking the players to just win their matchups without using the scheme to help them. He continues to not use play action appropriately. I see a large gap between him and the top offensive coaches in this league.

That first TD pass to a wide open Cook wasn't schemed up? The LB got caught in the traffic by the guys inside running picks. Cook had about an easy a TD as you'll see, just outrun your guy for a TD.

Honestly it's hard to really say much else. The game situation being what it was never really called for Brady to be going deep into the playbook tonight. The game plan all second half after the pick 6 essentially was getting a few first downs when you have the ball, make sure you throw short safe passes that get completed and run clock to shorten the game.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That may as be but Shanahan or Reid ain't walking through the door. I think through two weeks the offense has been creative, mutli-faceted and cleverly designed. I'm still wanting to see a bit better pass to run balance on 1st down. Think it was 7 runs 5 passes while the game was "live" tonight and the offense hasn't really been fully tested yet but man give me this over the vanilla ***** Dorsey was running last year. Like a 1990s rookie Peyton Manning redux offense.

Yeah I don't think he needed the show anything tonight 

But the 4th down call where he couldn't just run up the gut

It was a nice creative play call where we needed it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I guess we got more from former Dolphin Mike White running our scout team then the Fish got from Poyer and Neal knowing our playbook inside and out. 

Great job by the Bills coaches and players tonight.  What a pleasure that was to watch.  Anyone still want to get rid of Babich and Brady?  Didn't think so. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He is missing elite weapons, notably outside, and I'm not expecting him to work miracles with that caliber of talent. But nor do I see the usage of motions as a "coaching clinic." That is just solid above-water offensive coaching in the year 2024.

We had a chance to put the game away coming out of halftime and instead we stalled out with a series of poor play calls. It's easy to forget about those kinds of things when Allen makes magic happen on 3rd and 13 and when the defense puts points on the scoreboard. In real time though I notice these things and they bother me. They don't hurt you when Tua throws multiple dumb interceptions that quickly put the game out of reach. They will hurt on January 19 in Arrowhead.

I did not see any schemed wide open throws. The easy button stuff is just the same quick pass to Kincaid over and over. We aren't getting the ball downfield to our TEs. Samuel is a non factor. Our big passing plays are mostly Allen being a unicorn or Shakir creating YAC in congested areas.

Like I said Brady is not a bad coach. I just don't have the same level of confidence in him that other fans do. I'm comparing him to the upper echelon of the NFL because that should be our standard.

Brady's best attribute by far is that he has taken game changing mistakes out of the passing offense. That goes back to last year too. And I don't discount that. Dorsey's offense was way too boom or bust down the stretch. I'll take the steadier road even if it means less explosive plays.

Criminy….its early….but they are one of the top scoring offenses in the nfl. …and you want to hone in on one series ?

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been a critic of McDermott for the last few years. Today was his best game IMO. That holds for his coordinators as well. That team was so prepared!! The game plan was perfect and executed at an elite level. They deserve their flowers for this masterful effort. 

Spot on! I too, thought the same.

• Like (+1) 1

We always dominate McDaniel and the Dolphins. I'll give McDermott credit for that. Very important to show up against a division rival like that.

However... Let's see how prepared and disciplined we look next Monday against the Jags which seem to be on the opposite end of McD's coaching spectrum...

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed on McDermott, masterclass from his defense tonight. He has McDaniel's number.

I will be a wet blanket about Brady though. Thought it was a middling night from him. I still see very little creativity from his offense. Too vanilla for my liking, a lot of times he is asking the players to just win their matchups without using the scheme to help them. He continues to not use play action appropriately. I see a large gap between him and the top offensive coaches in this league.

Bro, what? His offense was as creative as we've seen. That TD to James Cook was a play call, not a Josh Allen play. He knew if they did X with the formation, Miami would blitz off the edge and leave Cook wide open. Watch the play, Josh doesn't even look.. drops back to looks right turns and throws. 

They are getting to the line with 18-20 seconds left, they are using motion, they were running the ball and pounded it. Did you want him to run cool trick plays up 21? 

Look, I'm holding my breath as we've seen Dorsey explode early season and then teams catch on and we can't move the ball but to call this offense boring after they eviscerated a team(and essentially did the same the week before) with new looks, motions, Josh's new pocket movement, great protections, etc is asinine. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm of the mind that Brady's not trying to show too much early in the season, if he doesn't have to.

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Bro, what? His offense was as creative as we've seen. That TD to James Cook was a play call, not a Josh Allen play. He knew if they did X with the formation, Miami would blitz off the edge and leave Cook wide open. Watch the play, Josh doesn't even look.. drops back to looks right turns and throws. 

They are getting to the line with 18-20 seconds left, they are using motion, they were running the ball and pounded it. Did you want him to run cool trick plays up 21? 

Look, I'm holding my breath as we've seen Dorsey explode early season and then teams catch on and we can't move the ball but to call this offense boring after they eviscerated a team(and essentially did the same the week before) with new looks, motions, Josh's new pocket movement, great protections, etc is asinine. 

We only ran 45 plays and gained about 5.5 Yards per play. Thats just outside the top 10 for the league last year in a per play average.  The thing i liked is how much of what they did was just taking what they gave.  Play 2 high off coverage?  Ball is out to kincaid immediately for what felt like 8 yards per clip.  They had no pass rush without a blitz, and they don't have the players capable of locking buffalo up in man.  Buffalo's physicality just overwhelmed their defense.  Consider this - 59 yards in the 2nd half for the bills offense, they passed 6x for 31 yards and just ran right into 8/9 man boxes.  

Miami ran 73 plays and gained 4.8 yards per play, which would've ranked 28th.  Factor in losing turnover battle by 3, 1/5 on 4th down, and penalties - they were just... an absolute mess on offense.  They usually play far better at home because they can use jet motion to manipulate the defense more effectively, and they definitely stressed buffalo horizontally, but they couldn't keep the edge in the 2nd half.  You also invite more offensive penalties due to formation issues and just generally your offensive line has to get outside and its a lot easier to get caught.  

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm of the mind that Brady's not trying to show too much early in the season, if he doesn't have to.

After the pick 6 i knew it was going to be the same few plays in different formations.  The ability to open it up is there, but they needed to make it two scores before I consider changing much of what I'm doing.  

• Like (+1) 1

He is missing elite weapons, notably outside, and I'm not expecting him to work miracles with that caliber of talent. But nor do I see the usage of motions as a "coaching clinic." That is just solid above-water offensive coaching in the year 2024.

We had a chance to put the game away coming out of halftime and instead we stalled out with a series of poor play calls. It's easy to forget about those kinds of things when Allen makes magic happen on 3rd and 13 and when the defense puts points on the scoreboard. In real time though I notice these things and they bother me. They don't hurt you when Tua throws multiple dumb interceptions that quickly put the game out of reach. They will hurt on January 19 in Arrowhead.

I did not see any schemed wide open throws. The easy button stuff is just the same quick pass to Kincaid over and over. We aren't getting the ball downfield to our TEs. Samuel is a non factor. Our big passing plays are mostly Allen being a unicorn or Shakir creating YAC in congested areas.

Like I said Brady is not a bad coach. I just don't have the same level of confidence in him that other fans do. I'm comparing him to the upper echelon of the NFL because that should be our standard.

Brady's best attribute by far is that he has taken game changing mistakes out of the passing offense. That goes back to last year too. And I don't discount that. Dorsey's offense was way too boom or bust down the stretch. I'll take the steadier road even if it means less explosive plays.

Brady spent the entire offseason retooling the offense.   We now have two games of data.  Not even a full two games because after Tua's injury the offense was  more interested in running down the clock than scoring.  To me, that's just not enough information.  The sample size is too small.

But it's hard to be critical when the Bills have scored 65 points in two games (including a defensive score) and probably could have scored more against the Fins.  

If I was forced to make some general guesses how Brady will perform going forward, I think he's going to prove himself as a good run game coordinator and an average pass game coordinator.   But I want to see more and look forward to the rest of the seaon with tremendous curiosity.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sorry man but he is acting like using motion to identify man coverage and using pick routes are novel concepts that nobody has ever thought of before. This is football 101 stuff. Of course there's nothing wrong with using fundamental concepts to create successful plays.

Anyways obviously I'm the lone voice on this side of the argument so I'll give it a rest. Kind of like last week I get that it is hard to find fault when the team is putting up 30+ points. But I have some nagging concerns about Brady's ability to go toe to toe with the true elite offensive minds across the league.

Ahem - he just did last night. toe-to-toe with McDaniels who is the puppy saviour in the NFL. Mastermind Offensive play caller. Brady just showed him who his daddy is. What game did you watch?!?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been a critic of McDermott for the last few years. Today was his best game IMO. That holds for his coordinators as well. That team was so prepared!! The game plan was perfect and executed at an elite level. They deserve their flowers for this masterful effort. 

It was a great game plan and the team looked very disciplined. 

It was nice to see and yes - McDermott deserves credit. 

For the first time ever, the Bills have the best head coach in the division. 

I’m still not a McDermott fan and I hold him responsible for 13 seconds, for giving up against the Bengals, and for every crappy in-game coaching decision. 

But he was the better coach last night and I’ll take it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gugny said:

It was a great game plan and the team looked very disciplined. 

It was nice to see and yes - McDermott deserves credit. 

For the first time ever, the Bills have the best head coach in the division. 

I’m still not a McDermott fan and I hold him responsible for 13 seconds, for giving up against the Bengals, and for every crappy in-game coaching decision. 

But he was the better coach last night and I’ll take it. 

One team showed up on the road with a run game, a mean offensive line, and a physical defense.

The other team showed up.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s nice seeing McDermott play the young depth guys on defense instead of re-treads.  They have chance to get better and make winning plays instead of the AJ Kleins  and the Sirhan Neal’s of the world.  

The scary thing is that they're only going to get better.  I really have no idea how McDermott gets so much out of his secondaries . Every. Single. Season.  Add a healthy Von Miller, Greg Rousseau and Epeneza.... oh boy!

just watching the pick six again..... 3rd down, obvious passing situation NASCAR package on the field: Von, Ed, AJE, Groot and it was AJE from that interior position that flushed Tua out and forced the throw away. 

We have seen a ton of that NASCAR style look through two games compared to how much Frazier and even McDermott went to it. I do wonder if part of it is we don't have a natural backup 3T to Ed. Carter is there on the depth chart but he isn't really a penetrator he is more a 1T/3T tweener. So in previous years where they maybe felt Ed and Phillips was enough interior pass rush on 3rd and long they'd rather bump AJ inside. I like it though. They are our four best pass rushers. On critical obvious passing downs why not use all four of them?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

just watching the pick six again..... 3rd down, obvious passing situation NASCAR package on the field: Von, Ed, AJE, Groot and it was AJE from that interior position that flushed Tua out and forced the throw away. 

We have seen a ton of that NASCAR style look through two games compared to how much Frazier and even McDermott went to it. I do wonder if part of it is we don't have a natural backup 3T to Ed. Carter is there on the depth chart but he isn't really a penetrator he is more a 1T/3T tweener. So in previous years where they maybe felt Ed and Phillips was enough interior pass rush on 3rd and long they'd rather bump AJ inside. I like it though. They are our four best pass rushers. On critical obvious passing downs why not use all four of them?

Supposedly smoot was someone they were using in that sub package as well, so should be interesting to see him when he returns.  

• Agree 1