Coaching clinic in Miami

Kirby Jackson

I was telling everyone that would listen that the Bills Defense isn't bad. Pointing to Arizona with 28 without exclusing the 8 from the Kick return I though the Murray hit gave the Cardinals 4 and after their 2nd TD the Defense figured them out and shut them down. 

I will say I'm concerned about the LBs though. Bills knew the Dolphins were going to hit them with a lot of screen passes to the RB and they didn't seem to have an answer after James Conner had a good day catching. Also the Run Defense may come back and bite them in the butt later.

That said: Hill and Waddle were completely invisible today. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

are you missing the formations, motions and creating of matchups? 

for a guy without elite weapons I think seeing backfield alignments and backfield personnel packages vary like they do has been the initial flashes of maximizing what we do have.

He also didn’t have to progress into the early plays setting up later plays this week with the game in hand early. He was efficient with short fields and guys were winning head to head so you only go so deep in the bag of tricks 

He is missing elite weapons, notably outside, and I'm not expecting him to work miracles with that caliber of talent. But nor do I see the usage of motions as a "coaching clinic." That is just solid above-water offensive coaching in the year 2024.

We had a chance to put the game away coming out of halftime and instead we stalled out with a series of poor play calls. It's easy to forget about those kinds of things when Allen makes magic happen on 3rd and 13 and when the defense puts points on the scoreboard. In real time though I notice these things and they bother me. They don't hurt you when Tua throws multiple dumb interceptions that quickly put the game out of reach. They will hurt on January 19 in Arrowhead.

I did not see any schemed wide open throws. The easy button stuff is just the same quick pass to Kincaid over and over. We aren't getting the ball downfield to our TEs. Samuel is a non factor. Our big passing plays are mostly Allen being a unicorn or Shakir creating YAC in congested areas.

Like I said Brady is not a bad coach. I just don't have the same level of confidence in him that other fans do. I'm comparing him to the upper echelon of the NFL because that should be our standard.

27 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Also he has gotten Josh to take a lot of underneath stuff.

Brady's best attribute by far is that he has taken game changing mistakes out of the passing offense. That goes back to last year too. And I don't discount that. Dorsey's offense was way too boom or bust down the stretch. I'll take the steadier road even if it means less explosive plays.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

He is missing elite weapons, notably outside, and I'm not expecting him to work miracles with that caliber of talent. But nor do I see the usage of motions as a "coaching clinic." That is just solid above-water offensive coaching in the year 2024.

We had a chance to put the game away coming out of halftime and instead we stalled out with a series of poor play calls. It's easy to forget about those kinds of things when Allen makes magic happen on 3rd and 13 and when the defense puts points on the scoreboard. In real time though I notice these things and they bother me. They don't hurt you when Tua throws multiple dumb interceptions that quickly put the game out of reach. They will hurt on January 19 in Arrowhead.

I did not see any schemed wide open throws. The easy button stuff is just the same quick pass to Kincaid over and over. We aren't getting the ball downfield to our TEs. Samuel is a non factor. Our big passing plays are mostly Allen being a unicorn or Shakir creating YAC in congested areas.

Like I said Brady is not a bad coach. I just don't have the same level of confidence in him that other fans do. I'm comparing him to the upper echelon of the NFL because that should be our standard.

im often guilty of overthinking and that’s why I sometimes like to dumb down things to the level of the starting running back averaging 3.5 points per touch in the first half 

I will say that I agree that we need to see more before crowning him - but qualify it with the fact that tonight wasn’t necessarily the place to show that. Simple things like motion and spacing were enough to win most, albeit not every, matchup, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed on McDermott, masterclass from his defense tonight. He has McDaniel's number.

I will be a wet blanket about Brady though. Thought it was a middling night from him. I still see very little creativity from his offense. Too vanilla for my liking, a lot of times he is asking the players to just win their matchups without using the scheme to help them. He continues to not use play action appropriately. I see a large gap between him and the top offensive coaches in this league.

That weed was pretty strong wasn’t it?

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s nice seeing McDermott play the young depth guys on defense instead of re-treads.  They have chance to get better and make winning plays instead of the AJ Kleins  and the Sirhan Neal’s of the world.  

Siren Neal is not a retread lol

He was drafted and developed by Buffalo and turned into one of the best special teams players in the league 

I don't know why you have to hate on him even though he's not on the bills

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed on McDermott, masterclass from his defense tonight. He has McDaniel's number.

I will be a wet blanket about Brady though. Thought it was a middling night from him. I still see very little creativity from his offense. Too vanilla for my liking, a lot of times he is asking the players to just win their matchups without using the scheme to help them. He continues to not use play action appropriately. I see a large gap between him and the top offensive coaches in this league.

Chalk it up to complimentary football and minimizing the exposure of Allen to risk of injury to the left hand. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

im often guilty of overthinking and that’s why I sometimes like to dumb down things to the level of the starting running back averaging 3.5 points per touch in the first half 

Kromer deserves some flowers too. He might be the best OL coach in the league right now. Under his watch everyone on the line is playing their best football. That extends even to a depth player like Grable, or Van Demark last year.

The run scheme to my eyes also looks pretty basic, especially when you compare it to the opposing offense tonight, but it doesn't matter much when your guys are creating displacement and the RB is running hard and decisive and fast. Vanilla offense works when the execution is perfect or when individual players go above and beyond. Still I'm going to call it as I see it. As a counterexample the defense tonight was much more about scheme than individual talent.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Kromer deserves some flowers too. He might be the best OL coach in the league right now. Under his watch everyone on the line is playing their best football. That extends even to a depth player like Grable, or Van Demark last year.

The run scheme to my eyes also looks pretty basic, especially when you compare it to the opposing offense tonight, but it doesn't matter much when your guys are creating displacement and the RB is running hard and decisive and fast. Vanilla offense works when the execution is perfect or when individual players go above and beyond. Still I'm going to call it as I see it. As a counterexample the defense tonight was much more about scheme than individual talent.

Acho calls it brilliant….

Im definitely not calling you out but these are the nuances that you don’t understand.  I don’t either until its pointed out to me but I don’t see it live.  

I feel you are being negative on Brady when you’re not understanding the depth of the scheme.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Felt like McDaniel's solution to McDermot/our defense taking away Hill and Waddle was to use them on those sweeps so he was able to get the ball to his fast guys anyway. Which it got them some yards for sure, but it also felt like it gassed the hell out of them.

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Acho calls it brilliant….

I'm sorry man but he is acting like using motion to identify man coverage and using pick routes are novel concepts that nobody has ever thought of before. This is football 101 stuff. Of course there's nothing wrong with using fundamental concepts to create successful plays.

Anyways obviously I'm the lone voice on this side of the argument so I'll give it a rest. Kind of like last week I get that it is hard to find fault when the team is putting up 30+ points. But I have some nagging concerns about Brady's ability to go toe to toe with the true elite offensive minds across the league.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm sorry man but he is acting like using motion to identify man coverage and using pick routes are novel concepts that nobody has ever thought of before. This is football 101 stuff. Of course there's nothing wrong with using fundamental concepts to create successful plays.

Anyways obviously I'm the lone voice on this side of the argument so I'll give it a rest. Kind of like last week I get that it is hard to find fault when the team is putting up 30+ points. But I have some nagging concerns about Brady's ability to go toe to toe with the true elite offensive minds across the league.

Seems like you’re not having a ‘Happy Day’ even with the win. Why are you so concerned 2 weeks in 2-0?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Everything is football 101.  Its why Baker Mayfield was able to win a game with the Rams after being there 4 days.

The point is he is organizing this offense and they are executing.  That’s coaching.  If its so basic, why was Cook wide open?  Wouldn’t that be easy to stop.

Its seems like you’re valuing style over production.

• Agree 7

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been a critic of McDermott for the last few years. Today was his best game IMO. That holds for his coordinators as well. That team was so prepared!! The game plan was perfect and executed at an elite level. They deserve their flowers for this masterful effort. 

There was a play on Miami's first drive where Tua had to triple-clutch, before finally deciding he was seeing what he thought he was seeing and throwing to Jonnu Smith in some traffic who unfortunately gained about 15 and a first down, but it was definitely an indicator that as usual, McD's defense was confusing the guy, and for an offense that's predicated on throwing to spots it's extremely disconcerting when there's opposing jerseys already standing there.

31 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Chalk it up to complimentary football 

Congratulations, football! Very well done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

There was a play on Miami's first drive where Tua had to triple-clutch, before finally deciding he was seeing what he thought he was seeing and throwing to Jonnu Smith

I thought he was about to throw a pic when he finally let go of it.

Wasn't the last time he did it either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Sure. Swing pass to the RB to beat the blitz. That is basic offensive coaching. I'm not saying Brady is outright bad, just serviceable. I don't think he really elevates the offense the way that some of the top coaches do.

I think it's too early to say.  

This isn't figure skating.  Creativity doesn't matter if we're getting points on the board and we are. 

Tonight, the O stopped trying in the 3rd quarter.  After Tua got hurt, the primary objective was to run out the clock.  I want to see more of Brady's offense before making up my mind.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Sure. Swing pass to the RB to beat the blitz. That is basic offensive coaching. I'm not saying Brady is outright bad, just serviceable. I don't think he really elevates the offense the way that some of the top coaches do.

You know what? You're right. Our offense is NOT as innovative as the Dolphins', who we just held to 10 points on the road. Their offense has SO MANY MORE MOVING PARTS and MOTIONS and WAYS TO COVER UP FUNDAMENTAL FLAWS than ours does. They rack up yards (and often points) by putting 2nd level defenders in conflict against supremely fast weapons. Between the 20s the Dolphins are SCARY. 

And yet, here we are. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will have to watch the a22 of tonight but I didn't think that at all of Sunday. I thought he was creative and there were receivers open. All day. Maybe the Cardinals just suck, that's possible. But the Bills schemed up very nicely against them. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But I have some nagging concerns about Brady's ability to go toe to toe with the true elite offensive minds across the league.

That may as be but Shanahan or Reid ain't walking through the door. I think through two weeks the offense has been creative, mutli-faceted and cleverly designed. I'm still wanting to see a bit better pass to run balance on 1st down. Think it was 7 runs 5 passes while the game was "live" tonight and the offense hasn't really been fully tested yet but man give me this over the vanilla ***** Dorsey was running last year. Like a 1990s rookie Peyton Manning redux offense.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1