Coaching clinic in Miami

Kirby Jackson

I’ve been a critic of McDermott for the last few years. Today was his best game IMO. That holds for his coordinators as well. That team was so prepared!! The game plan was perfect and executed at an elite level. They deserve their flowers for this masterful effort. 

• Like (+1) 27
  • Agree 44
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

Agreed on McDermott, masterclass from his defense tonight. He has McDaniel's number.

I will be a wet blanket about Brady though. Thought it was a middling night from him. I still see very little creativity from his offense. Too vanilla for my liking, a lot of times he is asking the players to just win their matchups without using the scheme to help them. He continues to not use play action appropriately. I see a large gap between him and the top offensive coaches in this league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 14
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 4

The team was sharp. Players looked confident, play calls consistently good conceptually. got the good bounces - good all around 

I think if you go back there was some weird body language on the dolphins side very early. I caught myself commenting on Tua after the first pick. We are definitely in their heads in a meaningful way at this point and that’s real currency that goes beyond tonight’s preparation 

last up though - if being nitpicky- a blocked fg continues the special teams woes. They must get that unit under control or it will continue to cost in major moments. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed on McDermott, masterclass from his defense tonight. He has McDaniel's number.

I will be a wet blanket about Brady though. Thought it was a middling night from him. I still see very little creativity from his offense. Too vanilla for my liking, a lot of times he is asking the players to just win their matchups without using the scheme to help them. He continues to not use play action appropriately. I see a large gap between him and the top offensive coaches in this league.

That first TD call was PERFECT. They ran on 3rd down, knowing that 4th down was live. So I was frustrated with the 3rd down run that got stuffed, thinking they'd just kick the FG, but then VERY pleased with the 4th down pass to the RB that took advantage of the defense's leverage. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Good God. They didn’t need to get fancy tonight. The gameplan was perfect. And no creativity? Did you see the first TD? 

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 8

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

That first TD call was PERFECT.

Sure. Swing pass to the RB to beat the blitz. That is basic offensive coaching. I'm not saying Brady is outright bad, just serviceable. I don't think he really elevates the offense the way that some of the top coaches do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

are you missing the formations, motions and creating of matchups? 

for a guy without elite weapons I think seeing backfield alignments and backfield personnel packages vary like they do has been the initial flashes of maximizing what we do have.

He also didn’t have to progress into the early plays setting up later plays this week with the game in hand early. He was efficient with short fields and guys were winning head to head so you only go so deep in the bag of tricks 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

He was efficient with short fields and guys were winning head to head so you only go so deep in the bag of tricks 

That's what it looked like to me as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Disagree about the creativity.  He's had a lot of nice plays these two games.  Agree about playaction. Guy never takes a shot on 2nd down. Also he has gotten Josh to take a lot of underneath stuff.

Edited by Scott7975

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sure. Swing pass to the RB to beat the blitz. That is basic offensive coaching. I'm not saying Brady is outright bad, just serviceable. I don't think he really elevates the offense the way that some of the top coaches do.

They motioned two separate guys to properly diagnose and then align that play. Allen double-thumbs-upped his guys after the first motion. It was a perfect call.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

That's what it looked like to me as well.

At one point our RB1 had 6 touches but was only stopped by Miami 3 times. 

Our rb was averaging 3.5 points per carry, not 3.5 yards. 

im not sure what else you do with to scheme that up more as a coordinator 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That was a lot more creative than you are giving it credit for.  If KC ran that on us everyone would be freaking out about why can’t we run plays like that.  Maybe one of the best play designs from a creative standpoint we have seen from him, and it worked perfectly. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Him and Babich straight up put on a masterclass.

And I'm like you, I have been critical of McD in the past.

But got to call a spade a spade here. He was great tonight 

There are teams and schemes where McDermott has not, historically, "had their number"

However, with McDaniel (and if I'm not mistaken, other Shanahan tree coaches), McDermott seems to be channeling a little "Tommy TuTone"

I think what impressed me the most was how many mistakes and miscues I saw (yeah, even me) from the defense on broadcast TV and yet....

• Like (+1) 1