Question: Home v visitor records for TNF

Utah John

Generally home teams in the NFL have an advantage for multiple reasons, but I think this is magnified for Thursday Night Football.  An extra travel day is important when everyone plans on Sunday, but the extra travel day on a short week is much more of the percentage of available prep days, for the visiting team.

Does anyone know whether the NFL has statistics on home field advantage specifically for TNF, and whether that is significantly different than for Sunday afternoon, Sunday night or Monday night games?  I don't recall every seeing this reported.  It wouldn't be all that hard to go back and figure the stats myself but why re-invent the wheel if someone else has done it already.

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

So, you want someone else to do all the work for you?........what cubicle are you in cause you must work in the same office as me with those work ethics.

Geez; the OP said he could do the calculation himself but was just asking if someone had it handy. 

As of 2022:

Since 2019, TNF home teams own a record of 26-22 SU and 18-29-1 ATS (38.3%). Fittingly, totals have gone 19 to the Over, 29 to the Under (60.4%).

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/2022/10/13/nfl-betting-trends-for-thursday-night-football/ 

5 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Geez; the OP said he could do the calculation himself but was just asking if someone had it handy. 

As of 2022:

Since 2019, TNF home teams own a record of 26-22 SU and 18-29-1 ATS (38.3%). Fittingly, totals have gone 19 to the Over, 29 to the Under (60.4%).

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/2022/10/13/nfl-betting-trends-for-thursday-night-football/ 

So, you did all the work for the OP.........You see, now you remind me of the people in my office........some do no work, some do all the work and some just pretend to do some work.

You looking for a raise?

19 minutes ago, Sweats said:

So, you want someone else to do all the work for you?........what cubicle are you in cause you must work in the same office as me with those work ethics.

He’s the guy who messes with your stuff. I’m just sayin’……..

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sweats said:

So, you did all the work for the OP.........You see, now you remind me of the people in my office........some do no work, some do all the work and some just pretend to do some work.

You looking for a raise?

You must be a popular guy in the office. 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

This is probably the best read from a player's POV on TNF. great read and it still holds

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/richard-sherman-seahawks-thursday-night-football

That was a great read thank you.  People often forget not only the toll that football takes on these players bodies but how much worse a Thursday night game is for them.

• Like (+1) 2

Guessing that TNF where visitor does not need to travel as far where direct flights are easy are less of an impact than those where teams need to cross country.

The playing a different time of day likely is a large impact on MNF, TuesNF (rare), TNF, FNF (rare) and SNF.

Is it more of an impact for teams going West Coast to East Coast playing at night with time zone changes or from East  Coast to West Coast I do not know but if I was a GM whose own was willing to spend money I'd likely want team to fly day before and do a walkthrough at a college which had good field and significant security to prevent spies on practices.

26 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

That was a great read thank you.  People often forget not only the toll that football takes on these players bodies but how much worse a Thursday night game is for them.

No surprise he calls it a poopfest and Goodfornothingell's picture is on it.

I do not care if he is from WNY - his decisions are as bad for WNY as votes from downstate legislators.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Generally home teams in the NFL have an advantage for multiple reasons, but I think this is magnified for Thursday Night Football.  An extra travel day is important when everyone plans on Sunday, but the extra travel day on a short week is much more of the percentage of available prep days, for the visiting team.

Does anyone know whether the NFL has statistics on home field advantage specifically for TNF, and whether that is significantly different than for Sunday afternoon, Sunday night or Monday night games?  I don't recall every seeing this reported.  It wouldn't be all that hard to go back and figure the stats myself but why re-invent the wheel if someone else has done it already.

Are you the guy who messes with all my stuff?.......

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

As of 2022:

Thanks.  So as of 2022, not that big an advantage for TNF, about what I'd expect for home field advantage across the board.