Week 2 - Bills at Fins - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

There were 2 plays that are still in my head. Josh took a couple of shots:

one to MVS, where he was past the single defender but the throw was off and underthrown. If on target it was a sure TD.

the other was to Coleman who was one on one but “covered” it was a jump ball / contested catch that Keon did not make. This was what we were hoping that we would see continue from training camp - that he would out wrestle/ block out defenders and make catches.

was sorry to see that both of those didn’t work out.

maybe in the all 22, some more analysis of the passing game could reveal some more “almost” plays that could have turned the deep passing into more

39 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Thanks for this.

Btw, I rewatched most of the game and read FinHeaven GDT at the same time. They claimed that this was illegal pick play.

Anybody can comment on that? I don't know exact rules but Hollins does seem to quite intentionally interfere with Long.

It's a pick play (not necessarily illegal) - which is the perfect call in a 0 blitz scenario.  You left your linebacker in man coverage with cook, no safety help, and he was caught in the wash.  Nobody ran him over, and the WRs looked at the QB.  You basically left it to the refs to bail you out of a poor call coming out of a timeout.  Allen said after the game, we called timeout and i said "they're going 0 blitz". 

1 minute ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

one to MVS, where he was past the single defender but the throw was off and underthrown. If on target it was a sure TD.

the other was to Coleman who was one on one but “covered” it was a jump ball / contested catch that Keon did not make. This was what we were hoping that we would see continue from training camp - that he would out wrestle/ block out defenders and make catches.

maybe in the all 22, some more analysis of the passing game could reveal some more “almost” plays that could have turned the deep passing into more

It looked to me like it was thrown to the outside shoulder and MVS looked inside after ball was in the air.  Right read since it looked like he was behind the defender in a cover 3, but inside shoulder invites another player to the party.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, stevewin said:

There were a couple comments earlier in this thread about if the Tua injury would overshadow Bills highlights today.  On Get Up over an hour in: First segment Tua (no highlight/comment on actual game), Second segment Bengals comments on Worthy, Third segment Tua (no highlight/comment on actual game), Fourth segment Who Wins Jets at Titans, and Premiere Lacrosse League (?).  Fifth segment Tua (no highlight/comment on actual game).  Not a single highlight from the Thurs night game.

I get that Tua is the major story - but I've never seen there being literally no highlight or conversation on the actual Thurs night game before

They did return to it at the top of the second hour and focused on the game itself. I was thinking the same as you after the first hour.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I almost feel bad for the Dolphin fans...all 50 of them.

I mean it's not even a rivalry anymore. To be a rivalry you actually have to win games against the other team. They are 1-12 against us in their last 13. The one game they won we out gained them by almost 300 yards and lost because half the team was injured/out with heat stroke by the 4th quarter and still almost won. Average margin of victory during that streak is 15 points for the Bills so the games typically aren't close either.

It's like I always say...they are Little Brother...we whip their asses, they go beat up on their friends for a while then come back talking tough about how they are going to kick out ass and then we beat them down again to put them back in their place and let them know who is still the Beasts of the AFC East

Sleeping on the Bills then you way off...

Talk is cheap, meet us in the playoffs.

Endless, humiliating payback for the entire 1970s is perfectly fine with me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Thanks for this.

Btw, I rewatched most of the game and read FinHeaven GDT at the same time. They claimed that this was illegal pick play.

Anybody can comment on that? I don't know exact rules but Hollins does seem to quite intentionally interfere with Long.

The routes were designed to disrupt defenders… that’s just good scheming. 

The Dolphins run this ***** every play, Fins fans are delusional. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

The one to Coleman wasn't his fault, at least by my eye. Josh didn't put the ball up high enough for it to really be a jump ball. It was too low and in front of him, and the defender could easily come over the top to make the play. I don't fault Coleman for that one.

• Agree 1

On the one to MVS, Josh was under heavy pressure & had it let it go early. If he had another half second, it could've been a big hitter. He put it where the only 2 outcomes were MVS might have a chance or it's incomplete, I'm OK with it.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

If I'm thinking of the same plays you are...

The MVS throw could have been a stop/comeback ball, but I remember Josh patting himself on the chest after like "That's on me". I'll give him a couple off target throws. He's earned it.

The Coleman one was where Josh scrambled and then ran all the way to the sideline before chucking it towards Coleman. Low percentage ball. Especially because it wasnt a jump ball as much as it was a wild throw that Coleman had to come back to and the defender played it well in hitting him from behind and knocking the whole thing down.

Some stuff to work on, but if those are our worst plays, I'll take it every time.

16 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Looked to me Allen threw more to the sideline away from the saftey.  Looked to me Coleman had a guy on his back that was close to POI. Would have been a great catch but not that big of a deal.  Short fields, pick 6 the second half the game was basically over not alot of substance to be taken from it.  Oline and run game dominated thats about it.  MVS is going to look like the last 2 games alot.  Then he will have 2 50 plus plays and all is forgotten.   

48 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agree - The strength of this Defense, given the injuries, is very clearly top tier cornerback play and a strong defensive line. 

Just have to make it work at linebacker and safety.

Would love to see if Bishop can push for a bigger role during this semi-bye.  

Think he needs to be the starter by at least the Texans game vs CJ Stroud. We should be fine until then 

We went from playing at Miami a team that this Buffalo organization have supreme confidence against to a monday night game vs a jacksonville team that has beat buffalo the last two times and both games were miserable for The Bills.

The jags have some injuries for this weeks game vs the browns and the browns were embarrassed by Dallas last week so Buffalo may be playing an 0-2 desperate Jags team on MNF.  

Hopefully bernard is only a few weeks.

44 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

The MVS throw IMO was actually perfect. Outside shoulder away from the defender and it was not underthrown. MVS is not good at tracking the ball and really hasn't been in his career. He has good wheels and had a nice playoffs last year, but there is a reason he was available.

40 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

It looked to me like it was thrown to the outside shoulder and MVS looked inside after ball was in the air.  Right read since it looked like he was behind the defender in a cover 3, but inside shoulder invites another player to the party.  

Agreed.  It looked to me like QB/WR not being on the same page, rather than a missed throw.  Without knowing how they're being coached, there's no way for us to know if it was someone making the wrong read or just two equally valid but different reads.  A missed opportunity to be sure, but not shocking considering the lack of preseason time and MVS being new to the team.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It was so off target I understand why people thought it was tipped. 

I just watched a replay and it was 100% not tipped. Bass shanked the F out of it 

I took a pledge to not be snarky or complain on the GDT. Bass tested me last night with that miss. But I will say it now. That kick from that spot is not a kick an NFL kicker should miss looking like that

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

We went from playing at Miami a team that this Buffalo organization have supreme confidence against to a monday night game vs a jacksonville team that has beat buffalo the last two times and both games were miserable for The Bills.

The jags have some injuries for this weeks game vs the browns and the browns were embarrassed by Dallas last week so Buffalo may be playing an 0-2 desperate Jags team on MNF.  

Hopefully bernard is only a few weeks.

Come on. Can we be happy for a day before we start inventing all the reasons that the Jags will surely beat us on NEXT Monday night?

• Agree 1

Just now, Low Positive said:

Come on. Can we be happy for a day before we start inventing all the reasons that the Jags will surely beat us on NEXT Monday night?

I am extremely happy, was just looking at this weeks matchups and noticed the Jags have some guys in their secondary hurt.  

I feel good about Buffalo vs Jax at home on a monday night also.  Knowing they did not play well against them last year and the whole travel issue thing last year should be something annoying they have to listen to all week.

the jags play physical and if the bills hold up vs the run they should be in good shape in this game.  I love that this team has this running game they do.  

anyway I am pretty damn excited this morning.  

• Like (+1) 1