Week 2 - Bills at Fins - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

32 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You are dating yourself.  This generation of players and workers craves leaders who view them as colleagues and teammates.  McDaniel’s players absolutely love him and he’s a good coach.

Maybe they should start playing like it. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You are dating yourself.  This generation of players and workers craves leaders who view them as colleagues and teammates.  McDaniel’s players absolutely love him and he’s a good coach.

Good coaches don’t go 1-6 against a division rival at a similar talent level with the games growing more lopsided over time…that’s a huge red flag 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

His post game presser was brutal! He was lost, somber, searching for words. Not a very good coach at all.

I think McDaniel is the type of guy to believe his own hype. I think in his head he was really expecting last night to be a turning point for them to overtake the division, like most of the pundits did.

Instead the Bills pulled down his paints in a nationally televised game for the fifth or the sixth time. And his season may or may not have gone completely down the drain with his QB’s career. 

It’s got to be a tough pill to swallow. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

This was one of the most complete performances from the team that I have seen. The defense and rushing played well enough where we could have won with Trubisky or White playing at QB. That is very rare in the last few years.

Don't get me wrong, Josh Allen is the franchise and the team's success goes hand in hand with his, but it is nice to see that we can win in more than one way.

Honestly the game was almost boring...in a good way. Bills were just in the driver's seat from start to finish and at no point did you ever really feel threatened by Miami...the second half was mostly about just running the clock and avoiding injuries after the pick 6.

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I just listened to it. One thing he kept doing that irked me was he kept referring to Tua as his "teammate". And that's been what a major part of the issue in Miami has been.

If this guy doesn't even see himself as "the boss" or being in charge I HIGHLY doubt those players do, either. The ship is rudderless in Miami. They don't have a coach, they have a buddy that's likely more concerned about being "one of the guys" for the first time in his life than being a "leader of men". 

In short, he's exactly the type of fella that they put a chair next to the bed in hotel rooms for. 

If you watch the in-season Hard Knocks from last year - to me it wasn't as much that he wanted to be a "buddy", but more that he just awkwardly didn't fit in at all.  Not someone who the players repected by commanding authority, not someone who actually fit in with the players - but rather just this awkward guy who players put up with as the quirky guy when things were OK, and when things got bad and he tried to rally them it was truly cringe worthy.  

All this love for the guy bc he is 'different' and 'quirky' and has incomprehensible word salad answers to everything I just don't get - that doesn't make you a good head coach, in a lot of ways it contributes to making you a bad one.

Edited by stevewin
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Of course today's players want to have a coach that doesn't feel like a "boss". They want coaches that treat them with respect and take an interest in them. There also needs to be a line that says "I'm in charge here."

Do you honestly think Andy Reid walks into the Chiefs locker room and says "Hello, fellow employees! Here's to another day of being equals?" Absolutely freaking not. You can be the boss without being a hard ass Bill Parcels type. But in order to do that, it needs to be earned through results.

As far as McDaniel, I don't think he's a very good coach at all. I think he's a great play designer. But the last 2 seasons have shown what kind of a coach and leader he is. He's a coach that has his team spiral late in the season. He's a coach that has trouble beating good teams. It's all fun and games when they can beat up on poor teams. But come crunch time he is what I said...a guy that can't coach his team to wins when it matters. 

This is where McDermott is his best IMO.  He walks the line of immense respect for players, putting their lives and families first and foremost (that seems genuine).... but also has a scary business side that commands respect and motivates players to prepare and compete.  Almost 4 years of not losing a regular season game by a touchdown is pretty insane.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

There were a couple comments earlier in this thread about if the Tua injury would overshadow Bills highlights today.  On Get Up over an hour in: First segment Tua (no highlight/comment on actual game), Second segment Bengals comments on Worthy, Third segment Tua (no highlight/comment on actual game), Fourth segment Who Wins Jets at Titans, and Premiere Lacrosse League (?).  Fifth segment Tua (no highlight/comment on actual game).  Not a single highlight from the Thurs night game.

I get that Tua is the major story - but I've never seen there being literally no highlight or conversation on the actual Thurs night game before

Edited by stevewin
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Thanks for this.

Btw, I rewatched most of the game and read FinHeaven GDT at the same time. They claimed that this was illegal pick play.

Anybody can comment on that? I don't know exact rules but Hollins does seem to quite intentionally interfere with Long.

If I'm the Dolphins I'm firing the GM, coach and liquidating whatever they have that is valuable. Maybe that has to wait until next offseason, but it's what I would do. They peaked last year, and they still barely beat any teams with a winning record.

I love these Thursday night wins. I get to be not "football-nervous" for more than an entire calendar week. 

Just now, DapperCam said:

If I'm the Dolphins I'm firing the GM, coach and liquidating whatever they have that is valuable. Maybe that has to wait until next offseason, but it's what I would do. They peaked last year, and they still barely beat any teams with a winning record.

But they do fun roller coaster TD celebrations. 

• Like (+1) 2

SWAG, including Bills and Wyoming Cowboy Polos:                                                                             $297.97

Hotel night, Marriott Harbor Beach, Fort Lauderdale:                                                                            $547.67

Club Seats, Hardrock Section 220, Row 1:                                                                                              $610.00

Reading Fin Heaven with coffee on a balcony overlooking the Atlantic:                                              Priceless.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Thanks for this.

Btw, I rewatched most of the game and read FinHeaven GDT at the same time. They claimed that this was illegal pick play.

Anybody can comment on that? I don't know exact rules but Hollins does seem to quite intentionally interfere with Long.

I thought it was run perfectly - saw both guys just initially be in his path which slows him down and then kind of slide away without any major forcible contact. Great execution 

Edited by Jukester

Bills Conerbacks:

Douglas

Benford

Ingram

Elam

Johnson

Lewis

Legitimately two deep at each position

If/when we get our Safety situation sorted out, this Secondary could be something else.

Hamlin & Rapp look solid through two games, we know Edwards is a dependable player from his time in KC and Bishop showed off some serious athleticism at the end of the game breaking up that corner end zone pass. 

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bills Conerbacks:

Douglas

Benford

Ingram

Elam

Johnson

Lewis

Legitimately two deep at each position

If/when we get our Safety situation sorted out, this Secondary could be something else.

Hamlin & Rapp look solid through two games, we know Edwards is a dependable player from his time in KC and Bishop showed off some serious athleticism at the end of the game breaking up that corner end zone pass. 

I love our cornerback depth I agree, but our safeties are still a liability. Thankfully they were not put in vulnerable situations coverage wise this game. The Dolphins didn’t attack the middle of the field like they should have and I’m thankful for that. I definitely think Bishop needs to be out there sooner rather than later when we play actual quarterbacks like CJ Stroud in a couple weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I think McDaniel is the type of guy to believe his own hype. I think in his head he was really expecting last night to be a turning point for them to overtake the division, like most of the pundits did.

Instead the Bills pulled down his paints in a nationally televised game for the fifth or the sixth time. And his season may or may not have gone completely down the drain with his QB’s career. 

It’s got to be a tough pill to swallow. 

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I love our cornerback depth I agree, but our safeties are still a liability. Thankfully they were not put in vulnerable situations coverage wise this game. The Dolphins didn’t attack the middle of the field like they should have and I’m thankful for that. I definitely think Bishop needs to be out there sooner rather than later when we play actual quarterbacks like CJ Stroud in a couple weeks. 

Agree - The strength of this Defense, given the injuries, is very clearly top tier cornerback play and a strong defensive line. 

Just have to make it work at linebacker and safety.

Would love to see if Bishop can push for a bigger role during this semi-bye.  

• Like (+1) 1