Week 2 - Bills at Fins - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Just a general statement here. As a Bills fan, that was a fun game to watch. There is a lot to be excited about. 

Only downer is the Bernard injury. Need him not to be out for the season. A few weeks and I think the Bills will be fine. 

Agreed and Bass being utterly incapable as a competent nfl killer he must go

1 hour ago, Mojo44 said:

Is everybody happy!

That's a relative term.  I'm happy with the record.  I'm a little concerned that Buffalo has manage to lose two key starters on defenses in two successive weeks.  It sounds a little too much like last season.  I hope it doesn't become an ongoing trend.  The good news is that we had a Cole Bishop sighting.  That bodes well for safety depth at least.  I thought Buffalo's offense was kind of boring to be honest.  I would like to have seen a little more passing, and maybe and intermediate throw or even a deep pass attempt or two.  I can't believe Maimi was able to take that away completely.  I think Buffalo just didn't try.  Maybe it has something to do with a short week of preparation.

1 minute ago, Billznut said:

If Tua is done, McDaniel’s head coaching days in Miami will be numbered as well. They will start losing a lot of games and he will inevitably be fired. He already knows what’s coming. Hence the look on his face tonight. 

Just got extended through like 2028 I think. 

With the way Skylar Thompson has generally looked (not bad until tonight), I'd argue McDaniel can run a successful offense even without the questionable talents of Tua. Thompson gave the Bills all they could handle at home in the playoffs. 

Something was way off tonight for them. Was it facing a Bills defense who FULLY understands how to "contain" them? Or was it facing a Bills defense who fully understands how to "contain" and frustrate Tua, specifically?

(Separately, I'm still not seeing the relentless "arms up" postures I need to see from our condor EDGE guys as they rush and contain, tbh.) Rousseau and Epenesa need to be practicing pass rush moves with their arms up and out like basketball players defending an inbound play. Those dudes are a million feet long. They can disrupt tremendously without winning pass rush reps cleanly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JP51 said:

Agreed and Bass being utterly incapable as a competent nfl killer he must go

Truthfully, he was rock solid all game. I was actually thinking maybe the automatic Bass is back. He was confidently drilling everything down the middle. Then that FG attempt. Oh boy was that deflating. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Truthfully, he was rock solid all game. I was actually thinking maybe the automatic Bass is back. He was confidently drilling everything down the middle. Then that FG attempt. Oh boy was that deflating. 

He needs to make 45 yrd fgs I just have zero faith in him next up for me

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Some are saying it was tipped but I’m not 100% sure 

I thought I saw him tap his chest saying "that's on me" afterwards. 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Just got extended through like 2028 I think. 

With the way Skylar Thompson has generally looked (not bad until tonight), I'd argue McDaniel can run a successful offense even without the questionable talents of Tua. Thompson gave the Bills all they could handle at home in the playoffs. 

Something was way off tonight for them. Was it facing a Bills defense who FULLY understands how to "contain" them? Or was it facing a Bills defense who fully understands how to "contain" and frustrate Tua, specifically?

(Separately, I'm still not seeing the relentless "arms up" postures I need to see from our condor EDGE guys as they rush and contain, tbh.) Rousseau and Epenesa need to be practicing pass rush moves with their arms up and out like basketball players defending an inbound play. Those dudes are a million feet long. They can disrupt tremendously without winning pass rush reps cleanly. 

The Bills defense usually matches up well vs Miami. McD has had simply marvelous game plans against them. 

It's the Jets match ups that the Bills struggle with. 

Ten quick points after the game:

1) BILLS WIN!  Can't say anything sweeter than that

2) Happy Birthday To Me (was yesterday, but I'll take this as a nice belated present)

3) Ladies and Gentlemen....tread softly now BUT THE BILLS SEEM TO HAVE A PASS RUSH!  Under pressure dum du da dum da!
4) Let James Cook!!!!
5) Along with that pass rush...WE SEEM TO HAVE A RUN GAME!

Concerns:

6) Allen gave me heart palpitations with a couple of those throws late in the game.   It's hard to argue with 68% completion, but he really does need to throw it away or eat it at times.  We're lucking *****y we didn't have some picks.  Yeah, push it but "know when to say when".  I hope they read him the riot act in the film room....

7) ....though Allen IS a mother*****in' One Man Riot.  OMG the athleticism of that man - elevates right over the Dolphins bench AND the trashcan behind it!  My heart!
8) I saw so many guys reading wrong and miscues on our D (yeah, even me, even on the televised broadcast).  Hopefully we can continue to improve week to week.  And even so, we had enough ..... in part because WE SEEM TO HAVE A PASS RUSH!
9) WTF was it with our players slipping and sliding all over the place out there?  The Dolphins didn't seem to be having as much problem.  I saw Cam Lewis slip and fall on his ass on that Achane TD, other defenders as well.  Do our equipment guys need to go to Cleat School or lay in a different set of cleats, or do we need to spray down our practice field so our players get used to it or what?

And finally:
10) Love Poyer but he's no longer "All Pro Po", made me a bit verklempt even though it's good for our team

8 minutes ago, JP51 said:

I think Bass and 135lbs linebackers other than that what a great a$$ whoopin

I think Bass was kind of a "slip sliding away" victim on that late miss

15 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Two words:  Pass Rush.  They were not expecting what they got from us.  And even so Tua hit the hot read and they broke contain on us what, half a dozen times?  Then we adjusted to that and Tua had to start running, which was.....Not a good idea.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1