Smiley must go

Snowbowl

Where are all the arguments about how keeping people on the 53 who are only good at special teams is a waste of a roster spot?

I thought I read a bunch over the summer how stupid McD every year for overvaluing players based on their special teams abilities.

Edited by Metal Man
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Maybe.  Bass was shaky last year, and Martin kept punting down the middle.  Not quite ready to pull the trigger on Smiley just yet.

Neither has kicking experience and they should hire an assistant kicking coach.

And special teams are partly bad because the only meaningful player they signed was kick returner while Bills lost many of the key special teams players including its captain.

I'm of the mindset that if something goes wrong, then there is a reason for it..........cause and effect, so to speak.

This debacle nonsense excuse that teams don't know how to defend the new KO is lazy, uninspiring and irresponsible. It is the poor man approach to excuses. If your team is in the right position and doing their job, then the run to the endzone doesn't happen.

Oh, but Sweats, somebody was blocked in the back and couldn't make the play......Well, it's not kindergarten out there and the boys aren't at recess with their drink boxes. You put on your big boy pants, and you go out there and make a play, do your job (for most of the ST's, it's the only job they have, i might add) and if you screw up, you own it and cry to your wife/girlfriend after the game.

Also......our ST's blows.

I have spoken.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

I'm of the mindset that if something goes wrong, then there is a reason for it..........cause and effect, so to speak.

This debacle nonsense excuse that teams don't know how to defend the new KO is lazy, uninspiring and irresponsible. It is the poor man approach to excuses. If your team is in the right position and doing their job, then the run to the endzone doesn't happen.

Oh, but Sweats, somebody was blocked in the back and couldn't make the play......Well, it's not kindergarten out there and the boys aren't at recess with their drink boxes. You put on your big boy pants, and you go out there and make a play, do your job (for most of the ST's, it's the only job they have, i might add) and if you screw up, you own it and cry to your wife/girlfriend after the game.

Also......our ST's blows.

I have spoken.

"You're guddam right!"

(It must be your avatar that prompted my response. 😁)

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

While our special teams were pretty bad last year, they were in the top 10 previous 3 years.  I was kind surprised to see this as well. 

According to Rick Gosselin that is. 

I have never seen any ranking scenarios.  There are 5 major components on STs.  I have no idea how they "weigh" their importance.

8 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

His ranking covers 12 categories (he doesn't say what they are) that were compiled by a KC STC from 1980.

Special Teams is still a mystery to most NFL fans.  I for one would like more light on the subject.

It probably is quite interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Then go back to hiring and firing the HC and GM every three years if you dont get a Lombardi..  Let Buffalo slip back into a disaster of a franchise no one want to play for unless they are overpaid (Marrio Willaims) or are drafted here.

That’s because we didn’t have a QB. You think McD is bring JP Losman to the playoffs?

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

That’s because we didn’t have a QB. You think McD is bring JP Losman to the playoffs?

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? I wish I had 20 more years guaranteed then I would jump on the fire everybody bandwagon just to watch you all turn on the next HC after an incomplete pass, not winning a game by more than forty points or a loss! That's all you know - fire everybody!

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? I wish I had 20 more years guaranteed then I would jump on the fire everybody bandwagon just to watch you all turn on the next HC after an incomplete pass, not winning a game by more than forty points or a loss! That's all you know - fire everybody!

Neither of us have 20 years guaranteed that's why I want to win now. McD and Beane did some great things, but the ultimate goal is the Super Bowl and there's now more than enough reasonable speculation to suggest its time to move on. We are 1-0, maybe this is our year

44 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Neither of us have 20 years guaranteed that's why I want to win now. McD and Beane did some great things, but the ultimate goal is the Super Bowl and there's now more than enough reasonable speculation to suggest its time to move on. We are 1-0, maybe this is our year

If you only knew the real consequences of regime change; we are a perrinial playoff team that has a shot at the SB; no temper tantrum changes are needed!

1 hour ago, amprov56 said:

Firing Beane and McDermott right now would make the Bills the biggest laughingstock in the league.

Both would have new jobs by next February.

• Like (+1) 1