Smiley must go

Snowbowl

Special teams is the biggest wild card in terms of team units.  He and Eric Ciano should have been released this last offseason, with new leadership in both ST and Strength Conditioning for the 24-25 season.  

Bringing back both gentlemen for 2024 likely results in 1) another season of wobbly special teams play and 2) nagging leg injuries to the punter and kicker that never quite improve. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

I don't understand why you have any offensive players on the kickoff team. I would think you would want say your backup LBs, CBs and Safeties on the kickoff team.  

Could be a numbers thing and expectations of that, in Ray Davis' case, position. His was the most egregious to me. He just needed to wrap up, looked like he went for the knockout shoulder. That is on coaching for me, the player needs to know you have to get the man down in that case, especially if you're a rookie offensive player. You're not trying to be a hero, just do your job.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, mollymalonesmafia said:

Then whos faults thats?. 

Why does it have to be someone's "fault"?  

Is this some psychological need to blame someone?  You want to pillory them and fire them, will that make you feel better? Do people realize unforeseen things happen?  It doesn't have to be anyone's fault.  There is a large element of luck involved.  

This is exactly why there is the constant "need" to find a scapegoat.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Could be a numbers thing and expectations of that, in Ray Davis' case, position. His , was the most egregious to me. He just needed to wrap uplooked like he went for the knockout shoulder. That is on coaching for me, the player needs to know you have to get the man down in that case, especially if you're a rookie offensive player. You're not trying to be a hero, just do your job.

Now this i can agree with.  Davis is small and expendable, why he is one special teams buyt the knockout shoulder i think is an example of poor coaching.  Davis is on offense and likely doesn't have nearly the skill or coaching of tackling, certaijly at the NFL level.

Lets see if he is on more covering of kickoff returns in the future.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's an issue on Special Teams and one that has plagued our defense for years. These players all learned technique since high school and made it all the way through college ball. Yes, they know how to tackle. But they arent. There is something being missed by the coaches. And at the very least it is on the coaches to fix, whether through different motivation or punishment.

I see your point and do agree that "coaching" is part of the equation.  I just don't see it as the ONLY part.

Same when I hear comments during a GDT after penalties are called and comments are made that it's "all on the coaches".

Are we all for "punishing" Josh for not sliding?  

It's a team sport and I believe it's requiring a team to succeed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not on the fire everyone train, but it is surprising in McDermotts time here, special teams has always been pretty bad, and has never seamed to have been corrected. Part of me wonders if McDermott just thinks it's not that important 

Edited by Steptide

He has 3 years left if what I hear is correct.  Babich the mcds sacrifice this year, then Brady next season, followed by Smiley. The coordinators are only here to take the fall for McD…….get with the program

11 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I see your point and do agree that "coaching" is part of the equation.  I just don't see it as the ONLY part.

Same when I hear comments during a GDT after penalties are called and comments are made that it's "all on the coaches".

Oh dont get me wrong, a good portion is on the players as well. They should absolutely know better at this point of their football careers.

And please dont ever confuse my Wednesday posts with GDT posts. :lol::bag:

But for issues that are so widespread and consistent, the accountability starts with coaching.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But for issues that are so widespread and consistent, the accountability starts with coaching.

Almost sounds like a backhanded argument to bring back the 'old' days of coaching.  Screw up, coach has you running laps.  AND NO WATER!!!

No chance of the NFLPA agreeing to that. 😁

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Almost sounds like a backhanded argument to bring back the 'old' days of coaching.  Screw up, coach has you running laps.  AND NO WATER!!!

No chance of the NFLPA agreeing to that. 😁

Nowadays you gotta be able to make a "dank meme" about tackling in order to get through to the players. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

I blame McDermott for that return more than Smiley. It's a game management issue, not a special teams coaching issue. The only thing we can't do there is give up a quick TD. Literally kicking it sideways out of bounds on purpose would have been better. We did the right strategy on the final kickoff - concede some return yards while ensuring they don't score a TD.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh dont get me wrong, a good portion is on the players as well. They should absolutely know better at this point of their football careers.

And please dont ever confuse my Wednesday posts with GDT posts. :lol::bag:

Now that is FUNNY.  I should have been clearer on that.  NO ONE wants that comparison!

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

At some point the players have to make the plays, catch the ball, etc. 

• Agree 2