Illegal formation penalties

Utah John

During the Chiefs-Ravens game, there were multiple penalties called particularly on the Ravens for an illegal formation, with the OTs lined up too far back from the LOS.  The Ravens finally gave in and had their OTs on the LOS itself, which puts them at a disadvantage.

I wonder if the league saw this and informed the officials to back off.  By the time Sunday's games were played, I saw most OTs back in their normal formation position, with the O line players in a shallow V back from the center.

Did anyone else catch this?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Utah John said:

During the Chiefs-Ravens game, there were multiple penalties called particularly on the Ravens for an illegal formation, with the OTs lined up too far back from the LOS.  The Ravens finally gave in and had their OTs on the LOS itself, which puts them at a disadvantage.

I wonder if the league saw this and informed the officials to back off.  By the time Sunday's games were played, I saw most OTs back in their normal formation position, with the O line players in a shallow V back from the center.

Did anyone else catch this?

They called a few in the Monday night game.

welcome to reality. rules for thee but not for me. and as long as the winners write the history than it will forever be told from their vantage point.

you know why treason doth prosper? because it doth prosper than thou be not treason.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, White Linen said:

What those refs did to the Ravens was obnoxious.

I can't get away from watching the Bills and hoping for the eluded Superbowl win.  However the NFL product stinks and this is one small example.  

Regardless of the officiating...

Every time the Bills win, I think the NFL is the greatest sports product on earth.  

And when they lose, my opinion is more like, "Why did I just voluntarily waste three hours of my life making myself miserable!"  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This is the Juwann Taylor rule.  And I thought he was lined up pretty far off the line in that game without a call.

He got called late in the game but he apparently was doing it all game...kinda like Toney got called for Offside against us late but that was after he was already lined up Offside like 5 times during the game including the very first play he was in for in the 1st quarter.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He got called late in the game but he apparently was doing it all game...kinda like Toney got called for Offside against us late but that was after he was already lined up Offside like 5 times during the game including the very first play he was in for in the 1st quarter.

I saw he got a false start call but must have missed the illegal formation flag.  He is rocking back and forth in his pass sets which should be a false start every play.  He is the most penalized player in the league and still gets away with murder.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This is the Juwann Taylor rule.  And I thought he was lined up pretty far off the line in that game without a call.

This is what drove me nuts. The emphasis on enforcing this rule was largely driven by how egregiously Taylor violated the rule in the past. There he was doing it yet again and getting away with it yet again while the opposing team’s tackle was hammered for the same.

It’s the inequity that drove me mad!

Taylor also leaves early. A lot of tackles do jump the snap by a fraction of a second and, though I saw it called several times throughout the weekend, it was enforced very inconsistently. I didn’t notice any inequity in those calls, however.

Edited by schoolhouserock
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, White Linen said:

What those refs did to the Ravens was obnoxious.

As usual, the league responded to being embarrassed by something the Chiefs did by punishing opponents of the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Either the SNF or the MNF said 22 were called this weekend, which was about double the week 1 number last year. 

I was shocked they called it like four times on ravens then the main dude for KC was not getting any flags thrown it was kinda bs 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

I was shocked they called it like four times on ravens then the main dude for KC was not getting any flags thrown it was kinda bs 

The Bills - Cardinals game was false start central too that went uncalled. The Cards had three blatant false starts on their first two drives and then the Bills had one on their own first scoring drive. I get it, not the same as illegal formation, but the overall consistency on procedural penalties in the NFL is pitiful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'd like to look into the illegal formation thing more. It seems like you are allowed to have one tackle further back, but not two? Does anyone know the alignment rules?

I noticed in the Bills game that Dawkins was lining up on the ball, like further forward even than the guards. And he had a great game, minus the false starts.

Dawkins is watched almost as closely as Jerry Hughes used to be for the Bills.  Not sure if this carried over to the Texans.  Any time he did ANYTHING wrong, or even if he didn't, there'd be a flag.  For some reason Dawkins gets the same treatment.  So he lines up on the O line to take that away.

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills - Cardinals game was false start central too that went uncalled. The Cards had three blatant false starts on their first two drives and then the Bills had one on their own first scoring drive. I get it, not the same as illegal formation, but the overall consistency on procedural penalties in the NFL is pitiful. 

I noticed that as well but I have already chopped that game as just bad refs. It was called poorly all game. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'd like to look into the illegal formation thing more. It seems like you are allowed to have one tackle further back, but not two? Does anyone know the alignment rules?

I noticed in the Bills game that Dawkins was lining up on the ball, like further forward even than the guards. And he had a great game, minus the false starts.

Dawkins is watched almost as closely as Jerry Hughes used to be for the Bills.  Not sure if this carried over to the Texans.  Any time he did ANYTHING wrong, or even if he didn't, there'd be a flag.  For some reason Dawkins gets the same treatment.  So he lines up on the O line to take that away.

I thought they were going to put a stop to the forward motion some of these guys (looking at you, 49ers WR's) subtley make before the snap when they are in motion.

Not even talking about the one where the RB leaves early. But when a WR is motioning pre-snap.

I was disappointed as I thought enforecement of this rule would have a detrimental effect on teams like Miami and SF