Spencer Brown Contract - Per Spotrac

kitchen sink

13 hours ago, H2o said:

Not a huge guarantee and not too terrible. A bit hefty for my liking, but it's  not my $$$. Looks like they can get out of it after next year at little to no serious cap ramifications.

May be the kid wants to stay in Buffalo and play for the Bills and is betting on himself to earn the $18M per year for the four years.  May be he doesn't have a lavish lifestyle 

25 minutes ago, ganesh said:

May be the kid wants to stay in Buffalo and play for the Bills and is betting on himself to earn the $18M per year for the four years.  May be he doesn't have a lavish lifestyle 

He wanted to stay in Buffalo. :thumbsup:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-rt-spencer-brown-signs-four-year-extension

"Buffalo's the city for me," Brown said.

• Like (+1) 2

The numbers of 18 per year seemed like a lot to me, but I didn't realize that teams are paying right tackles so much that it puts him eighth at the position.  If you told me he would end up the eighth highest paid tackle with the extension and an out in year 2, I would say it was a very team friendly deal. 

If he plays all year the way he played the to end last year and how he played in game one, he would have been able to get a lot more in free agency.

I like it!

• Like (+1) 1

Here is how I look at it. 

The top 10 or so RT do make 15-25m per. After that there is a big drop to $5-10m for the next 15 or so guys. 

He is here for two more years. If he proves do be worth $10m more than the next tier of guys maybe he sticks. But I suspect they will be looking for a replacement in the next couple years to prep for when they cut him loose. 

Kind of reminds me of the Knox deal. Paid him like a top 10 TE. Good player but top 10? Would not be shocked to see them draft a RT early this year or next. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In terms of new money the only new money in 2024 is the $6.4m signing bonus. Then there is $19.7m new money next year and $15m in new money in 2026. I make that $41.1m in new money across the first three years (including this one which is technically from the old deal) at about $13.7m per year. While not all of that new money is guaranteed the reality is it will all have to be paid because the structure of the deal means he will be here for the next three seasons. It is then a further $15.5m and $17.65m in new money the final two years, but none of that is guaranteed and it might never be paid because there is an out after 2026 that would leave $12m (that's $12m of the $41.1m that will have been paid but not accounted for) in dead cap but could be spread across two years. 

I used the cash paid out from the OTC link in my post. Bottom of page. 

17 hours ago, MJS said:

Uh, no. It's not resetting anything. This is the 8th highest average per year for right tackles.

At first, I was thinking he would sign for around $17M per and then I saw there was 3 other players all within $500K in the $17M's.

They bumped it up a little more to get him into the top 10.

In 2 years, my hope is Spencer keeps improving and the contract will look very good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

At first, I was thinking he would sign for around $17M per and then I saw there was 3 other players all within $500K in the $17M's.

They bumped it up a little more to get him into the top 10.

In 2 years, my hope is Spencer keeps improving and the contract will look very good.

Interesting, though, that his guarantees are relatively low. Of the 20 highest paid tackles, he has the lowest number of guarantees. The contract is good for Brown but also favorable for the team. I think the low guarantees reflects his injury history.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Interesting, though, that his guarantees are relatively low. Of the 20 highest paid tackles, he has the lowest number of guarantees. The contract is good for Brown but also favorable for the team. I think the low guarantees reflects his injury history.

It's the fair contract from the Bills point of view that I believe Spencer and his agent understand.

Lots of comments from fans saying he only had 1 good healthy season.  Spencer betting on himself and OBD protecting their interests.

I think it's a fair contract for both sides.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, scuba guy said:

Wtf did you say 18mill per year that is reseting the right tackle market.

I say and why

Man they are printing cash.

How much is groot getting

You guys are being ridiculous.  Gregg Tompsett broke this down nicely.  This is essentially a 3 year, $39 million contract that we can easily get out of after the 3rd year.

He's the 17th highest paid tackle in the NFL based on overall AAV and his total guaranteed money ranks 20th among tackles as far as % of total contract value.

Good deal for both sides.  And Brown played well in week 1 so seems like he's picking up where he left off last season.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/11/2024 at 6:48 AM, SoonerBillsFan said:

Its a 2 year deal essentially. Some folks need to calm down.

It's all in the contract. It was a re-sign I wasn't interested in tbh, because I assumed it would be too expensive relative to length of high end play and injury output (and some of our future tackle prospects), but I feel quite good after seeing the contract. I understand why Beane did it for sure. Makes sense.

Edited by NickelCity

On 9/11/2024 at 8:19 AM, kitchen sink said:

Spencer Brown signed a 4 year , $72,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including $6,400,000 signing bonus, $19,855,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $18,000,000. In 2024, Brown will earn a base salary of $1,055,000, a signing bonus of $6,400,000 and a workout bonus of $39,765, while carrying a cap hit of $2,593,801 and a dead cap value of $20,074,036.

Pretty close to what most had thought.

Great move, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/11/2024 at 10:48 PM, SoonerBillsFan said:

Its a 2 year deal essentially. Some folks need to calm down.

Two years is the reasonable minimum potential out, yes, but with those numbers it could very easily last all four years if he's playing well. By '27 and '28 those numbers are likely to seem pretty good for the Bills, again assuming that Brown is playing well.

So far he's playing well.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 9/12/2024 at 2:23 AM, MJS said:

Yeah, I think this is what the Bills got by signing him so early

Sounds like a ton but keep in mind it's extension money... the big dollars don't kick in till 2026, in 2 seasons so who knows where the market will be then.

LIkely overpay a bit for cap flexibility for two years. And maybe the regime thinks he can kick to the left down the road. Just a wild guess.