Spencer Brown Contract - Per Spotrac

kitchen sink

Seems like a lot but factoring in the consistent cap spikes that are going to start next season and keep going up as Brown's contract kicks in. So while it is a bit higher than I would have expected I do think if Brown just continues to be an above average starting RT he's going to justify the contract. 

What I like about this signing is that it keeps the offensive line the same through 2025. The starting 5 is all locked up through 2025 and the group is all fairly young. All starting 5 offensive linemen NEXT season will be 28 years old or younger with the only exception being Dawkins who is the veteran of the group at age 31 next season which while on the older side is not ancient as offensive linemen tend to play well until age 33ish so hopefully Dawkins still has 2-3 more good seasons left after this one. 

I also do like the bench pieces they assembled. Four young players with potential. SVPG in my opinion was the 3rd best center in the draft and Grable is another rookie who while a late round pick showed potential in pre-season/camp. But the other two spots are occupied by Van Denmark and Alec Anderson who are entering in their second seasons and have looked good when called up mostly in camp/preseason. So with four solid prospects on the bench there's a plan to sustain development should Dawkins decline or injury hit. 

Gotta like the direction of the offensive line.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He got his bag, 💰 so many loved it when Tua got his bag, not to mention endless other players not on the Bills, I’m happy for our guy, GO BILLS!!!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Seems way too much because he is not a top 10 right tackle,  these are the kind of signings that hold the Bills back from signing difference making free agents.  I thought 12 -14 million max starting in 2026 season he will have cap hits of 19 mllion and finishing in 2028 at 22 million.  Again it not a team friendly contract and he is no dominant right tackle

Can you name 10 right tackles better than him? Seriously...? As most have said, after this off-season, that'll be a bargain for a guy who is paid right where he deserves. He had a bad season after back injury(may be even surgery??) and people decide to forget his rookie year and last year. Spencer Brown has been very good for us and IMO would be very hard to upgrade him within the next few years while we have Josh in his prime. 

This is a smart move and as others have said, if he sucks, easy contract to get out of. 

2 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I don't think he actually s^*ked.  a little disappointing at times, but we have seen much, much worse.

Isn't every player disappointing at times? 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billl said:

That’s a fair deal.  He’s an average to above average RT when healthy, and that will be below average money for those not on rookie contracts.  He likely could have earned at least 10% more on the open market.

I agree, the possibility of continuing improvement also make the numbers more palatable.

10 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

72 mil with only 20 guaranteed? 

I don't think I have ever seen such a big discrepency between the contract and actual guaranteed money

There was a time with no guaranteed money, but the salaries were a lot less.

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

So it’s really 3 years for 38 million.  

Sort of. He was already on the books at $2.55M for 2024. They added two seasons for $36.3M. 2027 and 2028 are basically team option years for $15.5M and $17.65M. Honestly, that’s not great value at all. I was hoping it was more backloaded.

OTC took down their 2023 valuation of him, but it was about $10.3M. Using that and an 8% yearly increase we don’t get close to his extension’s value - especially considering what his 2024 salary was prior to the extension. 

https://overthecap.com/player/spencer-brown/9557

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Sort of. He was already on the books at $2.55M for 2024. They added two seasons for $36.3M. 2027 and 2028 are basically team option years for $15.5M and $17.65M. Honestly, that’s not great value at all. I was hoping it was more backloaded.

OTC took down their 2023 valuation of him, but it was about $10.3M. Using that and an 8% yearly increase we don’t get close to his extension’s value - especially considering what his 2024 salary was prior to the extension. 

https://overthecap.com/player/spencer-brown/9557

In terms of new money the only new money in 2024 is the $6.4m signing bonus. Then there is $19.7m new money next year and $15m in new money in 2026. I make that $41.1m in new money across the first three years (including this one which is technically from the old deal) at about $13.7m per year. While not all of that new money is guaranteed the reality is it will all have to be paid because the structure of the deal means he will be here for the next three seasons. It is then a further $15.5m and $17.65m in new money the final two years, but none of that is guaranteed and it might never be paid because there is an out after 2026 that would leave $12m (that's $12m of the $41.1m that will have been paid but not accounted for) in dead cap but could be spread across two years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1