Spencer Brown Contract - Per Spotrac

kitchen sink

Spencer Brown signed a 4 year , $72,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including $6,400,000 signing bonus, $19,855,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $18,000,000. In 2024, Brown will earn a base salary of $1,055,000, a signing bonus of $6,400,000 and a workout bonus of $39,765, while carrying a cap hit of $2,593,801 and a dead cap value of $20,074,036.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Per Over the Cap:

Spencer Brown signed a 4 year extension with the Buffalo Bills worth $72 million in new money with $19.855 million fully guaranteed at signing including a $6.4 million signing bonus. Brown is due a $16 million option bonus in 2025, and a $7.1 million roster bonus at the beginning of the 2026 league year. The contract includes per game roster bonuses (up to $510,000) in 2025-2028, and yearly workout bonuses of $250,000 in 2025-2028.

• Vomit 2

15 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Wtf did you say 18mill per year that is reseting the right tackle market.

Except for all the guys who make more per year.. that is 10 mill a year below the top right tackles

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Wtf did you say 18mill per year that is reseting the right tackle market.

I say and why

Man they are printing cash.

How much is groot getting

Uh, no. It's not resetting anything. This is the 8th highest average per year for right tackles.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not a huge guarantee and not too terrible. A bit hefty for my liking, but it's  not my $$$. Looks like they can get out of it after next year at little to no serious cap ramifications.

• Like (+1) 1

I am surprised that many still react to the headline number

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It’s also very little guaranteed 

This is the first big point: only $19.85 million guaranteed.

Other important points (based on numbers at Spotrac):

1. Cap hit in '25 is $8.2 million. That includes the prorated portion of the $16 million option bonus which is $3.2 million. It is over 5 years because the contract includes void years so it is $3.2 million/year for 5 years. At that point all the guaranteed money has been paid out.

2. The dead cap money starting in 2026-28: $3.84, $2.56 and $1.28 million. Injuries or decline in play and they are out.

3. Between high salaries and roster bonus they can either move on or he becomes an extension candidate in '26-28. 

It looks like a smart contract to me. If he continues to improve, it will be worthwhile, if he plateaus, declines or is injured they can get out of it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It’s also very little guaranteed 

Yeah that’s the saving grace-  if he gets hurt or sucks again, we can cut him after the first season of the contract and not suffer too much 

• Agree 2

That’s a fair deal.  He’s an average to above average RT when healthy, and that will be below average money for those not on rookie contracts.  He likely could have earned at least 10% more on the open market.

• Like (+1) 2

Seems way too much because he is not a top 10 right tackle,  these are the kind of signings that hold the Bills back from signing difference making free agents.  I thought 12 -14 million max starting in 2026 season he will have cap hits of 19 mllion and finishing in 2028 at 22 million.  Again it not a team friendly contract and he is no dominant right tackle

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 5