Alpha's Week 1 recap and film review

Alphadawg7

13 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I hear you! 

You are certainly entitled to your own grade, wasn’t trying to dispute what you said.

Was just giving my thoughts on the grades in general based on the NFL at large.

I think we can all agree that week 1 was a promising day for the group. Coleman in particular has a great start to build on and we haven’t even seen Samuel fully healthy/involved yet.

Its all good, I never expected everyone to have the same grading scale.  And I have no issues with your thoughts or how you graded them, was just making clear where the difference is for me (and those that agreed with how I graded it) was beyond just the stat production as it was just continuing to pop back up.  

9 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I agree on everything except one. Allen loses the + in A+ due to holding the ball too long and turning the ball over. Otherwise, nice job.

Totally fair point, and I don't have an issue with that.  The fumble was bad and 100% on him and he was lucky to not fumble again with how poorly he was carrying the ball on his runs holding it like a loaf of bread.  He didn't fumble again, but he was carrying the ball in a way that certainly increased the chances for a fumble, something he needs to reign in.  

In my initial grade though, I gave the fumble less emphasis because it was early in the game and he only played like 4 min in the preseason despite the initial plan to be him playing in all 3 games but weather and injuries scrapped those plans.  Then he followed that up with an excellent performance to end the half and through out the 2nd half scoring 31 points in 31 minutes.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree the ***** outta this. 

Haha that is the most emotion I have ever seen out of you haha, awesome

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks and no problem :)

The RB's also caught passes, including a couple of big ones.  I have yet to see anyone discussing the RB grade to even mention the passes they caught.  Otherwise I would have given them a lower grade.

To avoid repeating the same answer, I will just direct you to my post just above this I just responded to another poster that contains the Shakir TD highlight.  I use that clip because that play has multiple replay angles where you can clearly see the impact our other receivers as well as Dawkins made to make that play happen.  

If we reserve A grades for just the highest statistical games, a lot of great individual efforts are going to get missed.  Perfect example:  Kirby keeps citing the Gabe Davis vs KC game as an A+.  Yet Gabe Davis got the game ball vs Dallas last year when he had 0 targets and no stats because of how much impacted the game to spring open our running game as a blocker.  I would be everything I own in this world that everyone of his teammates, coaches, and the FO would give Gabe Davis an A+ for both games...one was an NFL record playoff game, the other was a game with 0 stats in a game.

When I am reviewing this, I am doing so more from a coaches eye on what I want to see these players do with their assignment each given play.  And for week 1, the receivers execution in all phases of the game were at a high level for me personally.  And when there are only 23 pass attempts, and 9 people caught 18 of the completions, no one person nor the group as a whole are going to have gaudy stats...but that does not also mean they didn't play at a high level either though.  

But, this is also how I am grading them, I fully realize not everyone is going to have the same grading scale, and there is nothing wrong with that or how you want to grade them.  Just answering your question about why I did. 

I don't entirely agree but I understand your logic and appreciate your answer. 

And hope you do these write-ups every week because you notice things I missed when I watched the game live.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't entirely agree but I understand your logic and appreciate your answer. 

And hope you do these write-ups every week because you notice things I missed when I watched the game live.

Thanks!  And hey, I am writing these grades in the moment, which are just really opinions, and putting them out there for discussion and I welcome the feedback and open to using that in how review my own grades too.  

For example, looking back at it now after good discussion with people here, I would probably reconsider my A+ on Allen and maybe use an A.  After thinking about it more off of others comments, his fumble was probably the single worst offensive play of the game, cost us points, and had AZ been able to get a TD there at the end, very well could have been the difference in the game very much like Etienne's fumble was the difference in Jags losing instead of winning vs Miami.  Couple that with how carelessly he held the ball running with it throughout the game, and he probably deserves some ding there on his grade despite his MVP level play putting up 31 points over the final 31 minutes.  

I would be open to small modifications to the RB and TE grades too after further discussion, although I still wouldn't drop below B+ on RB's as do think their play in the passing game is being over looked too much by those who want to go lower.  I feel pretty good about my WR grade though, but hey that is also based on what I am looking for personally when making that grade.

But by no means do I think my grades are "right" or set in stone, they are just my opinons, and I enjoy the discussion that follows. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2024 at 11:46 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Spencer and Dion looked like one of the better tackle tandems in the league this week.  Some early rust with some penalties, 2 on Dawkins who only had 6 all year last year.  But outside of that, both had an outstanding game IMHO.  One of my favorite plays of the whole day was watching Dion road grade in front of Shakir on his TD catch.  It was a thing of beauty, and if you haven't seen it, go watch a replay from the endzone angle.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Give all position groups a participation trophy and time to move on to Miami. 

Gotta admit I admire all of your dedication to your letter grades. I haven’t been that dedicated about them since I took my report card to Super Duper for Crystal Beach ride tickets. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Our WR's were not given an A+ because of production alone.  It is totally ok if you or others want to grade on a different scale where the primary emphasis is on individual statistical production.  I don't expect everyone to have the same grading scale, but it seems pretty pointless to keep disputing the grades over stats with people who factored more into the grade than just the stats.

I am gonna post this play now a third time.  Not to be argumentative, but to illustrate the difference in how some of us graded their performances.  If you can't understand how this is A+ execution from Hollins off the snap, Shakir with the ball, and Coleman wiping out his defender (and Dawkins destroying the safety) then you are not going to understand why my grade was an A+ and why some others agreed with that.  Which is again fine, everyone is free to grade using their own scale and factors, but just illustrating the difference in grading with an emphasis on production vs grading where execution, blocking, etc is as highly valued as production.  There is no TD on this play if any one of those players did not do what they did on this play, and the only one of the 4 that will see this play on a stat sheet is Shakir.  

little details going forward to watch for

shakir never looks upfield which is what triggers the DB...guessing they'll use this exact same look w a fake to Shakir and  then Hollins leaks out for TD later in the season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Give all position groups a participation trophy and time to move on to Miami. 

Gotta admit I admire all of your dedication to your letter grades. I haven’t been that dedicated about them since I took my report card to Super Duper for Crystal Beach ride tickets. 

Ha...Nah, not a dedication, just open discussion cuz it was great to be back week 1.  Squish the fish!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Our WR's were not given an A+ because of production alone.  It is totally ok if you or others want to grade on a different scale where the primary emphasis is on individual statistical production.  I don't expect everyone to have the same grading scale, but it seems pretty pointless to keep disputing the grades over stats with people who factored more into the grade than just the stats.

I am gonna post this play now a third time.  Not to be argumentative, but to illustrate the difference in how some of us graded their performances.  If you can't understand how this is A+ execution from Hollins off the snap, Shakir with the ball, and Coleman wiping out his defender (and Dawkins destroying the safety) then you are not going to understand why my grade was an A+ and why some others agreed with that.  Which is again fine, everyone is free to grade using their own scale and factors, but just illustrating the difference in grading with an emphasis on production vs grading where execution, blocking, etc is as highly valued as production.  There is no TD on this play if any one of those players did not do what they did on this play, and the only one of the 4 that will see this play on a stat sheet is Shakir.  

That play is a perfectly executed play. That is the only A+ play I'd give our receivers from Sunday though. I think Coleman's boundary catch and Hollins route for his TD are B+/A- type plays. I think beneath those 3 plays was just some solid routine receiver play (and not enough of it because we threw the ball to them so little to qualify on volume alone). But sure, there is no argument the Shakir touchdown play from design to execution to effort from Shakir was top drawer all the way around. Nobody should dispute that. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Nothing but A’s and A+’s … a bit of a “homer” grading curve here 😂

Well thats only because I graded the offense that put up 34 points, including 31 over the final 31 minutes.  The grades are not as lovely for the defense and ST units outside a couple individual people like Groot. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

That play is a perfectly executed play. That is the only A+ play I'd give our receivers from Sunday though. I think Coleman's boundary catch and Hollins route for his TD are B+/A- type plays. I think beneath those 3 plays was just some solid routine receiver play (and not enough of it because we threw the ball to them so little to qualify on volume alone). But sure, there is no argument the Shakir touchdown play from design to execution to effort from Shakir was top drawer all the way around. Nobody should dispute that. 

I would grade the Hollins play and Coleman play a half grade higher than you personally, but thats just splitting hairs.  

The only discrepancy I have in what you are saying here is the correlation I bolded above.  The correlation you are implying here that the lack volume is an indicator that the receivers were not turning in enough high quality play is where I disagree.  The lack of volume was related to game flow, not tied to how  

well they were/weren't playing.

First quarter, Bills only had 1 drive and had the ball just 2:23 seconds and they ran 4 plays.  The only pass attempt they had on that play was to Mack Hollins for 14 yards and a first down, a play you already gave Hollins high praise for in your first comment in this thread where you said you majorly agreed with me on Hollins play in the first game.  Then, the next play was the Josh Allen fumble where he had open receivers and made the worst offensive play of the game holding on to the ball and then fumbling.  Guys were open though.  

Second quarter, Bills only had 1 drive before they got the ball back with a little over 2 min left in the half.  And that drive was 9 plays.  First play was a pass where Coleman drew a PI flag (something else that people are overlooking are the flags our receivers were able to draw Sunday too).  Then it was Cook run, Cook run.  Then next play he hits Knox for a big play over the middle.  Then the next 4 plays are all Cook runs again.  Then Josh scores on the next play on a run, but it was overturned by penalty.  Then the only other drop back was the next play in which Allen got sacked on a 3rd and 19 play (well 3rd and goal from the 19) before we kicked a FG.

Allen had just 2 pass attempts through the first 33 minutes of the game, not because guys were not getting open, because Cook was running so well, our defense was allowing long drives by AZ, and Allen fumbled.  Allen would go on to throw 21 more times over the next 33 minutes in which 16 passes were caught by 8 other players including 2 TD's and the offense would score 31 points over that stretch.  

All good, I have no major qualms with your thoughts, just I don't agree that the "low volume" had anything to do with the WR's as it was entirely based on game flow in the first half.

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would grade the Hollins play and Coleman play a half grade higher than you personally, but thats just splitting hairs.  

The only discrepancy I have in what you are saying here is the correlation I bolded above.  The correlation you are implying here that the lack volume is an indicator that the receivers were not turning in enough high quality play is where I disagree.  The lack of volume was related to game flow, not tied to how  

well they were/weren't playing.

No I'm not arguing that. The lack of volume was about what they were asked to do and that is outside of their control. If you have 10 special plays in that 14 low volume doesn't matter. But if its 3 and the rest are routine that isn't a huge volume of doing the routine well to get excited by. So that is why to some it caps the ceiling for performance grading. Whatever system one uses.