Alpha's Week 1 recap and film review

Alphadawg7

What a way to start the season...I won't have time to do one of these every week, but I was just very interested in this first week as we finally got to see the veil removed on a lot of the unknowns.  I spent most of the time reviewing the offense as that was what I was most interested in and excited to see since I have limited time.  Feel free to expand on the defensive stuff for anyone with more insight there...

QB - Grade A++

Its almost a waste of time to write anything here.  He was a beast Sunday and showed why he is an MVP favorite this year.  

OL - Grade A-

This was certainly an area I had high interest coming into this game and was excited to see.  Between life after Morse, Spencer's new deal, O'Cyrus 2nd season, etc it had a lot of interest for me.  

• I have to say 4 out of the 5 guys on the line really had a very good to outstanding game.  The only one who didn't was O'Cyrus, and while it wasn't a disaster, it definitely was a down game for him and is what kept this groups grade from being an A+.  I am still not too concerned, but he also had some struggles in the preseason games, so def something to keep an eye on.  
  • Spencer and Dion looked like one of the better tackle tandems in the league this week.  Some early rust with some penalties, 2 on Dawkins who only had 6 all year last year.  But outside of that, both had an outstanding game IMHO.  One of my favorite plays of the whole day was watching Dion road grade in front of Shakir on his TD catch.  It was a thing of beauty, and if you haven't seen it, go watch a replay from the endzone angle.  
  • Edwards had a very good game as well and McGovern didn't miss a beat replacing Morse out there and had a great debut as our new center.  

WR's - Grade A+

This group looked good this week.  Not only were guys getting open regularly for Allen, but they were flying all over the field blocking for anyone running with the ball on catches, runs, or Allen taking off.  This was a very bad day for the "our WR's suck crowd" because they played excellent team ball and consistently were giving Allen easy looks. 

• Its one game...so despite the stellar showing, it does not yet prove anything.  But for all the disaster and doom and gloom, this group went out and said "Hold my beer" week 1.  
  • Coleman could have had an even bigger game than he did.  Allen had him on an easy slant for a TD on one of Allens TD' runs.  Allen said he should have thrown it to Keon, and he isn't wrong, Keon beat his man for an easy TD on the slant.  But Allen still scored as he saw also the easy run lane to get in as well.   And Keon was getting open and position all game, but more importantly, he was flying to the ball as a blocker when the ball went elsewhere. 
    • My favorite Keon moment was when Shakir scored and he asked Shakir if he wants the ball and he said yes and Keon immediately went to the stands to try and get it for him.  Shakir had to actually call him off of trying to get it as they needed to get off the field.  
  • For the "Hollins is a scrub crowd"...well go watch his film Sunday, if that is what a "scrub" looks like give me more "scrubs".  He ran crisp routes, was open on several other plays where the ball went somewhere else and he was mauling people as a blocker on other plays he was out there.  I said it in preseason...he is our WR5-WR6 essentially as a receiving option (Kincaid, Shakir, Keon, Samuel and then maybe Cook/Davis) probably be end of season.  And I think you will be hard pressed to find a better WR5/6 on most teams.  
  • Shakir - This man is a beast.  He was open all game long, and not only that, despite his size was out there blocking with the best of them when he wasn't getting the ball.  And when he gets the ball, good luck tackling Deebo-Lite.  And he is emerging as a leader for this group, go listen to his Mic'd up for this game.   I can only imagine what he would do with 8-10 targets a game.  

TE's - Grade A

On one hand, it feels weird giving a group an A that had 2 catches, but honestly, they did what was asked of them consistently all game.  AZ focused on Kincaid and he sold his routes that opened up the field for everyone else.  

• This is EXACTLY what I said all offseason to the "but Diggs is gone to draw double teams" crowd.  It was unrealistic to think that no one else was going to attract extra attention just because Diggs is gone.  And I pointed out guys like Kincaid, spying Allen, and trying to defend Keon's size is going to take extra attention.  Literally all 3 of those things were on full display week 1. 
    • DISCLAIMER:  Its just one week, we still need to see what this all looks like as DC's get more film and try to adjust to this new look offense.   But none the less, this is exactly what I and many others expected to see.  

RB's - Grade A-

I wanted to give this group an A, but dinged them a little for the efficiency drop later in the game.  But Cook looked fast and more decisive than he had looked to me in pre-season, and Davis showed why there is so much hype on him.

• Interesting is Ty, he is clearly the passing down RB and Davis right now is the guy who spells Cook.  And that is because Ty is better at pass pro than Cook, and Davis (who will probably prove to be the best at pass pro by seasons end) is a rookie and they aren't ready to trust him in the 2min drill like Ty when he took every snap on the TD before the half.  

Because of my limited time today, I again didn't spend as much time on the defense.  So here are just some quick notes that stood out from watching the game live and skimming through it in review.

• How does Rapp keep hurting teammates?  I can't think of another player who scared me when he was out there of hurting his teammates.  
  • Rousseau was a beast Sunday.  He looked like one of the best DE's in the league for this first week.  Even on Von's sack, it was Groot who made that sack possible IMHO.   
  • Von looks much better than last year, but it still isn't "vintage" Von which I think has always been an unrealistic hope.  But it was encouraging to see that he has some value to this team.  
  • Babich impressed me with how they adjusted in the 2nd half.  To go from what felt like a very scary first half (in terms of the rest of the season), to holding them to just 3 offensive points in the 2nd half is the kind of stuff I want to see from a DC.  
  • Bernard seemed very frustrated early on in that first half, but it was great to see him settle down and help lead the defense back. 
  • Dorian had a so-so game, his second half was better than his first.
  • Did not expect to see so much Ingram this game, and didn't have a lot of expectations coming in, but from what I saw he played a pretty good game.  
Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 21

One major disagreement - I think it actually was pretty close to a disaster for O'Cyrus. 3 pressures, 3 penalties, 2 bad missed assignments on run plays. He was really rough. He looks out of condition to me. Agree though it was otherwise a very strong day for the line. 

And one major agreement - for all the crap I have given him pre-season I thought Mack Hollins had a really good game. In all facets. He ran the route on the touchdown perfectly - he made it look simple but you gotta get the depth of your break just right there to make sure both that a) you are making it to the endzone and b) that you have the right leverage on the DB to box him out. But not only that he found soft spots in zones well even when not targetted and played an important role as a blocker. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 6

Great Job Alphadawg but it seems a lot of grade inflation has seeped into here.  The one I won't  quibble about is Josh Allen, he was MVP  caliber after that careless fumble.  A+ for the receivers seems stupid high and I would like to see more throws high and outside to Coleman, he is exactly as advertised on contested catches.  TEs maybe a B-.

As far as Torrence, it seems he had in incredible rookies season and since then he has been spotty, he deserves a very low grade for Sunday.  The entire secondary and LBers seem out of sync, we got lucky at the end with a dropped pass easily could have lost the game.  Which on a very short travel week, if Miami exploits the secondary for massive gains I wont be shocked.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What a way to start the season...I won't have time to do one of these every week, but I was just very interested in this first week as we finally got to see the veil removed on a lot of the unknowns.  I spent most of the time reviewing the offense as that was what I was most interested in and excited to see since I have limited time.  Feel free to expand on the defensive stuff for anyone with more insight there...

QB - Grade A++

Its almost a waste of time to write anything here.  He was a beast Sunday and showed why he is an MVP favorite this year.  

OL - Grade A-

This was certainly an area I had high interest coming into this game and was excited to see.  Between life after Morse, Spencer's new deal, O'Cyrus 2nd season, etc it had a lot of interest for me.  

• I have to say 4 out of the 5 guys on the line really had a very good to outstanding game.  The only one who didn't was O'Cyrus, and while it wasn't a disaster, it definitely was a down game for him and is what kept this groups grade from being an A+.  I am still not too concerned, but he also had some struggles in the preseason games, so def something to keep an eye on.  
  • Spencer and Dion were mauling people this week.  Some early rust with some penalties, 2 on Dawkins who only had 6 all year last year.  But outside of that, both had an outstanding game IMHO.  One of my favorite plays of the whole day was watching Dion road grade in front of Shakir on his TD catch.  It was a thing of beauty, and if you haven't seen it, go watch a replay from the endzone angle.  
  • Edwards had a very good game as well and McGovern didn't miss a beat replacing Morse out there and had a great debut as our new center.  

WR's - Grade A+

This group looked good this week.  Not only were guys getting open regularly for Allen, but they were flying all over the field blocking for anyone running with the ball on catches, runs, or Allen taking off.  This was a very bad day for the "our WR's suck crowd" because they played excellent team ball and consistently were giving Allen easy looks. 

• Its one game...so despite the stellar showing, it does not yet prove anything.  But for all the disaster and doom and gloom, this group went out and said "Hold my beer" week 1.  
  • Coleman could have had an even bigger game than he did.  Allen had him on an easy slant for a TD on one of Allens TD' runs.  Allen said he should have thrown it to Keon, and he isn't wrong, Keon beat his man for an easy TD on the slant.  But Allen still scored as he saw also the easy run lane to get in as well.   And Keon was getting open and position all game, but more importantly, he was flying to the ball as a blocker when the ball went elsewhere. 
    • My favorite Keon moment was when Shakir scored and he asked Shakir if he wants the ball and he said yes and Keon immediately went to the stands to try and get it for him.  Shakir had to actually call him off of trying to get it as they needed to get off the field.  
  • For the "Hollins is a scrub crowd"...well go watch his film Sunday, if that is what as "scrub" looks like give me more "scrubs".  He ran crisp routes, was open on several other plays where the ball went somewhere else and he was mauling people as a blocker on other plays he was out there.  I said it in preseason...he is our WR5-WR6 essentially as a receiving option (Kincaid, Shakir, Keon, Samuel and then maybe Cook/Davis) probably be end of season.  And I think you will be hard pressed to find a better WR5/6 on most teams.  
  • Shakir - This man is a beast.  He was open all game long, and not only that, despite his size was out there blocking with the best of them when he wasn't getting the ball.  And when he gets the ball, good luck tackling Deebo-Lite.  And he is emerging as a leader for this group, go listen to his Mic'd up for this game.   I can only imagine what he would do with 8-10 targets a game.  

TE's - Grade A

On one hand, it feels weird giving a group an A that had 2 catches, but honestly, they did nothing wrong.  AZ focused on Kincaid and he sold his routes that opened up the field for everyone else.  

• This is EXACTLY what I said all offseason to the "but Diggs is gone to draw double teams" crowd.  It was unrealistic to think that no one else was going to attract extra attention just because Diggs is gone.  And I pointed out guys like Kincaid, spying Allen, and trying to defend Keon's size is going to take extra attention.  Literally all 3 of those things were on full display week 1. 
    • DISCLAIMER:  Its just one week, we still need to see what this all looks like as DC's get more film and try to adjust to this new look offense.   But none the less is exactly what I and many others expected to see.  

RB's - Grade A-

I wanted to give this group an A, but dinged them a little for the efficiency drop later in the game.  But Cook looked fast and more decisive than he had looked to me in pre-season, and Davis showed why there is so much hype on him.

• Interesting is Ty, he is clearly the passing down RB and Davis right now is the guy who spells Cook.  And that is because Ty is better at pass pro than Cook, and Davis (who will probably prove to be the best at pass pro by seasons end) is a rookie and they aren't ready to trust him in the 2min drill like Ty when he took every snap on the TD before the half.  

Because of my limited time today, I again didn't spend as much time on the defense.  So here are just some quick notes that stood out from watching the game live and skimming through it in review.

• How does Rapp keep hurting teammates?  I can't think of another player who scared me when he was out there of hurting his teammates.  
  • Rousseau was a beast Sunday.  He looked like one of the best DE's in the league for this first week.  Even on Von's sack, it was Groot who made that sack possible IMHO.   
  • Von looks much better than last year, but it still isn't "vintage" Von which I think has always been an unrealistic hope.  But it was encouraging to see that he has some value to this team.  
  • Babich impressed me with how they adjusted in the 2nd half.  To go from what felt like a very scary first half (in terms of the rest of the season), to holding them to just 3 offensive points in the 2nd half is the kind of stuff I want to see from a DC.  
  • Bernard seemed very frustrated early on in that first half, but it was great to see him settle down and help lead the defense back. 
  • Dorian had a so-so game, his second half was better than his first.
  • Did not expect to see so much Ingram this game, and didn't have a lot of expectations coming in, but from what I saw he played a pretty good game.  

Great analysis. Thanks for sharing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

WRs got an A+?!? They combined for 151 yards. We all know that you’ve been the most outspoken advocate for how great this group is. That’s a “B” performance if we are being real. They were fine. Can we please not do this all year? Make up fake grades to fit a narrative we are trying to pass through. Can we just agree, they were fine. 

The TEs were in “C” range.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 8
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

One major disagreement - I think it actually was pretty close to a disaster for O'Cyrus. 3 pressures, 3 penalties, 2 bad missed assignments on run plays. He was really rough. He looks out of condition to me. Agree though it was otherwise a very strong day for the line. 

And one major agreement - for all the crap I have given him pre-season I thought Mack Hollins had a really good game. In all facets. He ran the route on the touchdown perfectly - he made it look simple but you gotta get the depth of your break just right there to make sure both that a) you are making it to the endzone and b) that you have the right leverage on the DB to box him out. But not only that he found soft spots in zones well even when not targetted and played an important role as a blocker. 

Torrence's warts are starting to show. I dont know if it has to do with Morse no longer being here or what. I wasn't high on him as a draft pick as this whole board was as I hate heavy guys that have at best average lateral quickness. I was pleasantly surprised by his play last year and shut my mouth about him not being as good as everyone was making him out to be because he never gave up a college sack.

This year my take is starting to show a bit. Hope he can get back to the level of play he was at last year or better.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

WRs got an A+?!? They combined for 151 yards. We all know that you’ve been the most outspoken advocate for how great this group is. That’s a “B” performance if we are being real. They were fine. Can we please not do this all year? Make up fake grades to fit a narrative we are trying to pass through. Can we just agree, they were fine. 

Dude stop.  Did you watch the film?  If you didn't then don't tell me the grade is "fake" because you base your grades solely on your fantasy football stats and are more committed to being right about your negative view than offering an unbiased review.

1. The grade is based on how well they did their job.  Period.
  2. We only threw the ball 23 times - 18 of which were completed, and they caught every pass.
  3. They were getting open all game giving Allen easy looks. 
  4. They blocked about as good as I can recall ever seeing a group block and play so unselfish.
  5. Allen had just 2 pass attempts when we started our final drive before the half.
  6. We still scored 34 points.

So...how about you don't do this all year long where you REFUSE to acknowledge good play because it doesn't fit your bias.  Go watch the film on Hollins, the guy that even after Sunday you refuse to even soften your stance on and insist he is a total scrub who shouldn't be on the field.  He played great, and so much so, other people reviewing this game have specifically pointed him out.

I am going to critique the game based on what they did on the field.  Until you spend the time to review their job performance instead of checking your fantasy stats, please don't come at me with these silly accusations that it was a "fake grade".

• Like (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Torrence's warts are starting to show. I dont know if it has to do with Morse no longer being here or what. I wasn't high on him as a draft pick as this whole board was as I hate heavy guys that have at best average lateral quickness. I was pleasantly surprised by his play last year and shut my mouth about him not being as good as everyone was making him out to be because he never gave up a college sack.

This year my take is starting to show a bit. Hope he can get back to the level of play he was at last year or better.

Yea I wasn't a massive fan either, particularly when people were talking about him as a first round pick. I thought he went about where he should at the end of the 2nd and while I was okay with him there I was surprised the Bills liked him because generally I think their preference has been linemen who are athletic and can move. 

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

WRs got an A+?!? They combined for 151 yards. We all know that you’ve been the most outspoken advocate for how great this group is. That’s a “B” performance if we are being real. They were fine.

Disagree about WRs.  I’m really starting to love that WR room. I may start a thread on it. 

• Haha (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dude stop.  Did you watch the film?  If you didn't then don't tell me the grade is "fake" because you base your grades solely on your fantasy football stats and are more committed to being right about your negative view than offering an unbiased review.

1. The grade is based on how well they did their job.  Period.
  2. We only threw the ball 23 times - 18 of which were completed, and they caught every pass.
  3. They were getting open all game giving Allen easy looks. 
  4. They blocked about as good as I can recall ever seeing a group block and play so unselfish.
  5. Allen had just 2 pass attempts when we started our final drive before the half.
  6. We still scored 34 points.

So...how about you don't do this all year long where you REFUSE to acknowledge good play because it doesn't fit your bias.  Go watch the film on Hollins, the guy that even after Sunday you refuse to even soften your stance on and insist he is a total scrub who shouldn't be on the field.  He played great, and so much so, other people reviewing this game have specifically pointed him out.

I am going to critique the game based on what they did on the field.  Until you spend the time to review their job performance instead of checking your fantasy stats, please don't come at me with these silly accusations that it was a "fake grade".

You can’t have 151 yards and be an A+ 😂😂😂. You can’t have 251 and be an A+. They were fine. They were a “B.” I don’t want to do this all year. They caught a few balls each. We shouldn’t throw a parade for 5 guys combining for 151. They did their job. 

The TEs were not particularly good. They were covered but if we are depending on these guys they can’t have 1 catch. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The TEs were in “C” range.

Trust me, I am very happy with the win and had a great tailgate (I won). But the Cards were a bad team last year with one of the worst defenses in the nfl. I think they should be better but that is not great competition we faced on Sunday. 

love our groups of WRs as guys but I would like to see them against better defenses but I’m sold on them. 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Disagree about WRs.  I’m really starting to love that WR room. I may start a thread on it. 

But an A+?  That is spectacular territory.  Cant get any higher than that, it wawn't like they had incredible "you got mossed" catches.  I would give them B+/A- which is still pretty high, above average.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I won't disagree with your assessment with O'Cyrus actually.  I was not as critical as you are here because the OL play around him covered for him a lot.  But it was a poor outing for sure.  And totally agree he looks out of condition, which is partly why I am not as concerned as I feel I should be.  But his poor preseason now is bleeding into the first week, so something to watch.

And yeah, Hollins popped on film.  He looked like what people hoped Claypool was going to be.  His routes were crisp and hands soft.  And he was flying around as a blocker too that helped spring some of those nice runs.  It is just 1 week, but it was an impressive debut for a depth receiver.  

17 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great Job Alphadawg but it seem a bit of grade inflation has seeped into here.  The one I would quibble about is Josh Allan, he was MVP  caliber after that careless fumble.  A+ for the receivers seems a bit high and I would like to see more throws high and outside to Coleman, he is exactly as advertised on contested catches.

Yeah, Allens fumble was a bad play, but his overall play for the game was MVP level.  He had full command of the offense at all times.  I did not ding him much at all on the fumble because he only played like 4 minutes all preseason with this group.  It felt like he needed a minute to just get more comfortable and given how well he played after I more brushed it off.

BUT...rethinking my grade, I could also ding him a bit for how careless he was carrying the football on his runs.  He didn't fumble again because of it, but it was dangerous and hope he starts holding the ball a little more secure rather than palming it so much on runs where he is taking contact.

And on the WR's, I can only grade them on the job they did.  They did their jobs quite well.  They only had 23 pass attempts, and only 2 before the final drive of the first half.  Can't ding them because we didn't throw more and instead had 33 carries.  When we threw, they were executing and doing their jobs.  And when we ran, they were all over blocking helping spring Cook, Davis, and Allen on those carries.

17 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

As far as Torrence, it seems he had in incredible rookies season and since then he has been spotty, he deserves a very low grade for Sunday.  The entire secondary and LBers seem out of sync, we got lucky at the end with a dropped pass easily could have lost the game.  Which on a very short travel week, if Miami exploits the secondary for massive gains I wont be shocked.

I don't love that Taron is out Thursday.  But, Miami was a mess in the trenches Sunday, so we have proven to limit Tua and that offense by being able to disrupt Tua.  And the way our group played this week, I think Groot is gonna eat again this week and we will keep Tua uncomfortable and limit their offense. 

Each is entitled to their opinion but the Bills did not turn in an “A” performance. Keep in mind they only won by 6 and there was a chance for th Cards to win on some last minute heroics. I am happy for the win and the chance to move on.  

Overall, the Bills at best played a B- game.  Let’s be real, they really did not look that good.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, Allens fumble was a bad play, but his overall play for the game was MVP level.  He had full command of the offense at all times.  I did not ding him much at all on the fumble because he only played like 4 minutes all preseason with this group.  It felt like he needed a minute to just get more comfortable and given how well he played after I more brushed it off.

BUT...rethinking my grade, I could also ding him a bit for how careless he was carrying the football on his runs.  He didn't fumble again because of it, but it was dangerous and hope he starts holding the ball a little more secure rather than palming it so much on runs where he is taking contact.

And on the WR's, I can only grade them on the job they did.  They did their jobs quite well.  They only had 23 pass attempts, and only 2 before the final drive of the first half.  Can't ding them because we didn't throw more and instead had 33 carries.  When we threw, they were executing and doing their jobs.  And when we ran, they were all over blocking helping spring Cook, Davis, and Allen on those carries.

I don't love that Taron is out Thursday.  But, Miami was a mess in the trenches Sunday, so we have proven to limit Tua and that offense by being able to disrupt Tua.  And the way our group played this week, I think Groot is gonna eat again this week and we will keep Tua uncomfortable and limit their offense. 

Hope you are right on us getting to Tua but you have to give the little guy credit, he has super fast receivers that get open quick and he has a very fast to get rid of the ball, a la tom Brady.  He doesnt need a howitzer like Allen, just deliver it quickly and on target.

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

People fell on love with the thought and potential  of Torrance last year. He was average but we was better than the turnstiles that played before him.

He is still average but will grow as he become more experienced.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

Each is entitled to their opinion but the Bills did not turn in an “A” performance. Keep in mind they only won by 6 and there was a chance for th Cards to win on some last minute heroics. I am happy for the win and the chance to move on.  

Overall, the Bills at best played a B- game.  Let’s be real, they really did not look that good.

Keep in mind, he only graded the Offenses and when you score as many points as we did in the NFL, that usually gets you an A or close to it.

Now the defense score and special teams, oh boy.  Only the D Line gets an above average grade imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You can’t have 151 yards and be an A+ 😂😂😂. You can’t have 251 and be an A+. They were fine. They were a “B.” I don’t want to do this all year. They caught a few balls each. We shouldn’t throw a parade for 5 guys combining for 151. They did their job. 

The TEs were not particularly good. They were covered but if we are depending on these guys they can’t have 1 catch. 

The TE's were fine.  See...you need to watch film and not google box scores.  You aren't getting actual context nor are you properly evaluating their jobs on the field.  

Do this all year?  You are the one coming at me here.  You want to stick to your guns about your negative opinion on the group, totally fine, its one game, it proved nothing.  But I watched their film, and I graded based on the film.  You googled a box score and then accused me of issuing a "fake grade" off that fake analysis.  So please, don't tell me "I don't want to do this all year" when you are the one doing this lol.  

I provided my honest opinion on what I saw...you don't have to agree with it.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1