Low key Wr #1

Mat68

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

What really impressed me about the catch is the CB didn't play it poorly. He appropriately attempted to use the sideline as an extra defender. Coleman just didn't let him get away with it. Held his ground, boxed him out, stayed inbounds, and came down with an effortless catch.

That is where his basketball background is a real benefit to him giving him now 2 advantages over the DB in both size and body control.  

FWIW, Randy Moss loves him and thinks he is going to be a star as do some other highly successful past WR's.  And the thing that keeps coming up the most often is that athleticism combined with elite body control.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He has to be careful on the pushing off to get separation.

The refs are going to start calling it

His deep ball catch was 1000% OPI, and that is a great sign.  It’s never called, so having a player who can successfully do it is a huge weapon.  He looked really good.

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Keon Coleman quietly led Wrs in snaps, yards, catches and targets.  He didnt have a breakout game but he looked like a pro.  The ball is going to find him more.   He is going to have a very big game in the next few weeks.  100 plus yards multiple TDs.  He broke open on some of the all 22 ive seen.  He is slowly building a penthouse in Allens trust tree.  Would love to see it vs Miami Thursday but if not then very soon.  Low key Buffalo found their guy.  They will look at the film and see Coleman was open a lot.  

if you can, check the all-22 where Allen tried to hit ray davis late in the game and short hopped it to him.  Apparently Keon beat his guy and was Marvin Harrison Jr. open for the post route (according to Chris Trapasso, not his words but mine)

21 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Keon had a good game. let's hope he does it again this week vs the Phish. Let's goooo Keon. GO BILLS! One game at-a-time.

agreed 1 good game... keep it rolling ... consistency is key. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here's an interesting nugget:

A lot of the offseason discussion around Keon centered on whether he would primarily be an outside or slot WR (paging @GunnerBill). The Bills at least to start off are using him exclusively as an outside WR. He is indeed our starting X.

Although I think they will move him around the formation more as the season goes along, to take advantage of his natural YAC skills by scheming him into free releases.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Here's an interesting nugget:

A lot of the offseason discussion around Keon centered on whether he would primarily be an outside or slot WR (paging @GunnerBill). The Bills at least to start off are using him exclusively as an outside WR. He is indeed our starting X.

Although I think they will move him around the formation more as the season goes along, to take advantage of his natural YAC skills by scheming him into free releases.

My view was less that the Bills would use him as a big slot but that there is where he suits best.

On 9/10/2024 at 10:53 AM, colin said:

to me what stood out is his effortless smoothness.  really similar to dalton kinkaid.  neither have huge speed, but they aren't really slow either.

they just adjust and move and catch naturally.  so many guys, gabe davis being a great (terrible) example, are like rushing and scrambling all the time, really frenetic pace type stuff.  kinkaid and coleman look much more relaxed in the process of getting open and catching the ball.

People seem to confuse being a great athlete with having blazing speed which is not the case at all. It can be, but there’s a lot of different traits a player can have in their arsenal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/10/2024 at 11:00 AM, Sojourner said:

personally, in today’s players, Keon reminds me of Keenan Allen. From years prior? Michael Irvin. 

he’s got a stud throwing him the ball so his production and adjustment to the pros is only going to be helped to become comparable to those 2 mentioned above. 

Michael Irvin is a really good comp!

Hope that Keon don’t have the same nasal problem. 

On 9/10/2024 at 6:24 PM, Billl said:

His deep ball catch was 1000% OPI, and that is a great sign.  It’s never called, so having a player who can successfully do it is a huge weapon.  He looked really good.

It's impossible(as in you should never call it) to call that when the defender is draped all over him like that, how can you call OPI when the defender was clearly already interfering himself. That'd be like arresting someone for assault because they fought off a mugger.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 9/10/2024 at 7:24 PM, Billl said:

OPI?  Dude had Keon by the collar and was pulling him down.  It was 1000% DPI.

• Like (+1) 1

Gabe Davis led the WR's in snap count in 2022 and 2023.  I think Coleman has a skill set that lends itself to being on the field in almost any set.  I still think Hollins is the Gabe replacement but Coleman is a plus receiver who can also do all the dirty work.

On 9/10/2024 at 10:48 AM, Sweats said:

But, but, but, no one wanted him in Buffalo......he's too slow and can't create separation. His 40 time was the worst the combine has ever seen.

We should have thrown the entire draft at MHJ, maybe Mitchell, maybe Worthy......

**** around and find out, boys.

I wish this person "no one" would capitalize his name like normal people.

On 9/10/2024 at 8:00 AM, Sojourner said:

personally, in today’s players, Keon reminds me of Keenan Allen. From years prior? Michael Irvin. 

he’s got a stud throwing him the ball so his production and adjustment to the pros is only going to be helped to become comparable to those 2 mentioned above. 

In what way does Keon Coleman remind you of Keenan Allen.

On 9/11/2024 at 12:24 AM, Billl said:

It was the type of OPI that is never called though. If it was DeAndre Hopkins never has a career. 

On 9/10/2024 at 10:51 AM, Mango said:

That sideline catch was super impressive. Hopefully some exciting stuff to come from the kid. 

He’s a good addition, and no he’s not a burner, but he has stickum on his hands.  Next year, I’m hopeful we pick up a burner and bundle pics to get the best target, and then we have a tandem.  Shakir will be a stud slot WR.  We’ll need to make due this year with numbers.

27 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

He’s a good addition, and no he’s not a burner, but he has stickum on his hands.  Next year, I’m hopeful we pick up a burner and bundle pics to get the best target, and then we have a tandem.  Shakir will be a stud slot WR.  We’ll need to make due this year with numbers.

If by the end of this year Coleman has established himself as at least legitimate #2 outside receiver and Shakir has continued to build on last year in the slot they will feel a bit like they did coming out of 2019 into 2020 where they are just that true #1 stud away from an elite set of weapons. The question then is are you getting that guy the way they got Diggs (trade) or via the draft. And that might depend on how early they are picking. 

• Agree 1

On 9/10/2024 at 11:48 AM, TheBrownBear said:

It was a good first game for a rookie receiver. He doesn't look like a game breaker type, but he's smooth, big and seems to have sure hands.  Looks like he has the ability to develop into a really nice complementary piece/#2 type of guy.  

That’s more what I saw too, but I’m not sure he doesn’t have a higher ceiling.  He’s super athletic, even if he’s 1/10th of a second slower than the really fast guys in the 40.  Larry Fitzgerald did ok as a “slow” guy.  I’m not comparing the two, but I’m really hoping for something along the lines of Brandon Marshall or Plaxico Burress type of play.  A true #1, even if not THE #1 in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It was the type of OPI that is never called though. If it was DeAndre Hopkins never has a career. 

Right….which means it’s not OPI.

just because there is pushing doesn’t mean that it’s OPI (or DPI).  To my eyes, the DB clearly tugged his jersey way after 5 yards and then Keon subsequently pushed him off.  The db initiated the contacted

knowing how to push off to create separation might be the best skill a physical WR can have.  Let’s hope that he can master it