Around the NFL after week 1

zow2

Shocker, but from the eye test after week 1, no one would blink if the Super Bowl is once again:  KC vs San Francisco

The challengers early are Baltimore, Houston in the AFC and Detroit, Dallas in the NFC... Things always change, some of the contenders may fall back due to injuries, etc.. and some of the teams that look mediocre in week 1 will emerge.  

I don't see Miami, Buffalo or certainly not the Jets contending as of yet.  The Bills O could be really good, but the D needs to button up or they are not going anywhere in January (if they even make it).

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Shocker, but from the eye test after week 1, no one would blink if the Super Bowl is once again:  KC vs San Francisco

The challengers early are Baltimore, Houston in the AFC and Detroit, Dallas in the NFC... Things always change, some of the contenders may fall back due to injuries, etc.. and some of the teams that look mediocre in week 1 will emerge.  

I don't see Miami, Buffalo or certainly not the Jets contending as of yet.  The Bills O could be really good, but the D needs to button up or they are not going anywhere in January (if they even make it).

Take the first few weeks with a grain of salt last year the Chiefs lost to the Lions at home on opening night we know how that worked out. 
The season to me doesn’t really mean much till October 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the Bills want to be in that conversation, they have to get some discipline.  Wasn't McD supposed to be a disciplinarian?  I'd hate to see us fall short again because we are getting a dozen penalties a game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Not sure what to take from the BUF/AZ game..  Our Offense looked dominant against a bad defense and our defense was as bad as it's ever looked for one half and then dominated the other half.  

Chiefs look like the class of the AFC at this point, shocking, I know.  BAL was outplayed most of the game and while they almost stole it at the end, their OL looks like a massive liability and Lamar can't play like that every game.. he won't make it to Week 10.

CIN is a bad vibes team.  I'm not exactly sure how good Joe Burrow really is and there's a lot of "me first" going on in that WR room. 

I didn't watch any of the Dolphins game, but I think they're probably a similar team to us and JAX is who they are.. an ok team that just can't get it together. 

Jets looked bad... and they'll probably get to our game at 4-1 or 3-2 at worst, but Aaron Rodgers arm still looks 30, but his body looks old.. get him off his spot and/or hit him a few times and he looks washed.   Their defense lacks pass rush without a Bryce Huff/Hassan Reddick out there to compliment Quinnen Williams and I have no idea what happened to their run defense but that was a mess.  I expected them to lose.. I didn't expect the game to be over at halftime. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Jets looked bad... and they'll probably get to our game at 4-1 or 3-2 at worst, but Aaron Rodgers arm still looks 30, but his body looks old.. get him off his spot and/or hit him a few times and he looks washed.   Their defense lacks pass rush without a Bryce Huff/Hassan Reddick out there to compliment Quinnen Williams and I have no idea what happened to their run defense but that was a mess.  I expected them to lose.. I didn't expect the game to be over at halftime. 

I thought the Jets looked completely outclassed by the 49ers last night.  Interestingly enough, Vegas still has them essentially tied with Buffalo in terms of their odds to win the division.  Miami is +165, Buffalo is +195, and NY is +200.  I can’t imagine who is lining up today to put their money on the Jets after witnessing that mess.  From where I sit, they’ve got a better chance of firing Saleh mid-season than they do of winning the division.

KC and SF look like the clear favorites.  In the AFC, I think Houston looks like the biggest threat followed closely by Baltimore.  Then it’s Buffalo/Miami in either order and a big gap after that followed by a bunch of trash.

I really don’t see anyone who can hang with SF in the NFC.  The Cowboys looked great, but they always do this time of year.  Philly has the most talent of the challengers, so I guess they’re probably the most likely to make the NFCCG as long as Sirianni doesn’t do something stupid.  Detroit is right therewith them.  After that, I just don’t see any real threats.  LA’s line is awful and is going to get Stafford killed.  GB could still make a run if they can tread water until Love gets back, but that’s a big if.  It’s hard for me to see anyone else making the title game.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

I thought the Jets looked completely outclassed by the 49ers last night.  Interestingly enough, Vegas still has them essentially tied with Buffalo in terms of their odds to win the division.  Miami is +165, Buffalo is +195, and NY is +200.  I can’t imagine who is lining up today to put their money on the Jets after witnessing that mess.  From where I sit, they’ve got a better chance of firing Saleh mid-season than they do of winning the division.

KC and SF look like the clear favorites.  In the AFC, I think Houston looks like the biggest threat followed closely by Baltimore.  Then it’s Buffalo/Miami in either order and a big gap after that followed by a bunch of trash.

I really don’t see anyone who can hang with SF in the NFC.  The Cowboys looked great, but they always do this time of year.  Philly has the most talent of the challengers, so I guess they’re probably the most likely to make the NFCCG as long as Sirianni doesn’t do something stupid.  Detroit is right therewith them.  After that, I just don’t see any real threats.  LA’s line is awful and is going to get Stafford killed.  GB could still make a run if they can tread water until Love gets back, but that’s a big if.  It’s hard for me to see anyone else making the title game.

Biggest difference in our division is the non-common opponents.  

We play Ravens and Chiefs, whereas the Dolphins play Raiders and Browns, Jets have Steelers and Broncos. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1

Just now, SCBills said:

We play Ravens and Chiefs, whereas the Dolphins play Raiders and Browns, Jets have Steelers and Broncos. 

That makes sense.  I just think the gap between the two is wider than what a schedule can make up for.

8 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We won't know anything Until about December.

Great point, September has become the real Pre Season they just count for real now, unfortunately. Way too much football to be played with many surprises to come yet we keep getting doom and gloom based on one game ha ha!.

Edited by amprov56
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

If the Bills want to be in that conversation, they have to get some discipline.  Wasn't McD supposed to be a disciplinarian?  I'd hate to see us fall short again because we are getting a dozen penalties a game

McD talks the big discipline montra yet never implements it.

41 minutes ago, SCBills said:

There is one good thing about playing the Chiefs and Ravens... those are the contenders. So if we happen to beat them then we would have a leg up on them in the seeding race.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

We need to split w Balt/KC.  

2 hours ago, amprov56 said:

Great point, September has become the real Pre Season they just count for real now, unfortunately. Way too much football to be played with many surprises to come yet we keep getting doom and gloom based on one game ha ha!.

I think one thing will not change, as I said at the beginning, even in December the Chiefs and 49ers will be favored to win it all.

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

We need to split w Balt/KC.  

I think one thing will not change, as I said at the beginning, even in December the Chiefs and 49ers will be favored to win it all.

Still have to play the games and you just never know, but great assumption!! As the season rolls on through October and November many surprises!!