Von Miller proves the doubters wrong

Von Miller was far from dominant, but he looked improved compared to last season.  I think he'll probably end up with some sacks this season.   I doubt he makes us forget Floyd.  The Bills need Groot to have a huge season and for Solomon to provide at least a mild upside surprise.  They will not get many notable stats from Epenesa.

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. The rep is as I said. Murray trips up and Von taps him. He doesn't sack him in a traditional sense. 

You are talking nonsense. Haven't listened to Joe yet this week. I will. I respect his opinion. But unless he shows me stuff I missed in the game I disagree with him on Von. He was meh. 

It's the first game of the year and the Bills won, so obviously Von is a DPOY candidate now. 

Don't mind them.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. The rep is as I said. Murray trips up and Von taps him. He doesn't sack him in a traditional sense. 

You are talking nonsense. Haven't listened to Joe yet this week. I will. I respect his opinion. But unless he shows me stuff I missed in the game I disagree with him on Von. He was meh. 

The Cover_1 crew also gave Von credit for that sack on their film room episode yesterday.  They also noted pressure he put on Kyler on the final 4th down play.

You're wrong.  And that's okay.  It happens.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The Cover_1 crew also gave Von credit for that sack on their film room episode yesterday.  They also noted pressure he put on Kyler on the final 4th down play.

Oh well. If the Cover 1 team said so... I mean they have a history of always being right.... oh hang on, no they don't.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh well. If the Cover 1 team said so... I mean they have a history of always being right.... oh hang on, no they don't.

Okay... you might not trust them... doesn't change you being wrong.  Even your initial assessment of the sack was wrong.  And it's so obviously wrong when you actually watch the clip.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

Miller hasn't proven anything. However, Sunday was mildly encouraging.

I think it's just semantics, but I agree with half of this.  Sunday was mildly encouraging.  I thought that Miller DID prove that a) he's better than last year; and b) he is at a level where he can be on the field and make a contribution to the pass rush.  I agree that he did not prove that he's worth $20M per season or that he's going to play at his former Hall of Fame level, but he did prove something.

• Agree 2

It’s definitely amazing that we have a no questions asked, first ballot hall of famer in this team and nobody ever even talks about him. Even in a later career stage, it’s very rare to have that caliper of player on your roster. Literally nobody ever even talks about Von. I love having him here. Im expecting him to help a lot. Losing him really hurt us

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah the sack where Ed and Groot won their reps forced Kyler up and he tripped over and Von was the one who ran round to play tag? That sack?

Okay Gunner... look at this play again

How on Earth are you looking at this as Kyler being forced up because of Groot and Ed and not Von?  Kyler is clearly seeing the pressure from Von who's overpowering the Tackle and pushing him directly towards him. THAT'S the primary reason Murray moves up in the pocket and Miller's force of the Tackle into the pocket is what causes the QB to trip.

I don't even understand why you bring up Oliver as a factor when he's 5 yards away from Murray as he hits his back foot and never even really comes close to the QB.  Groot may have won his rep and we can all acknowledge that 11 guys play on both sides of the football and a successful play is usually a testament to more than just one player, but it's quite obvious it's Von's pressure that causes Kyler to step up in the pocket and Miller's force on the Tackle that causes the Tackle to trip.

How old are you Gunner?  Maybe it's that age that you need glasses.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

Miller made it onto the stat sheet at least.   The one sack he got was a system sack, he was just there to touch the Qb so he got the stat.  He is not what he once was, and the Bills made a bad investment in him.   LEts hope he can do a little this year, and will be gone next year.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that everyone in the building really likes and respects Epenesa.  Total class act.  They want guys like him around. 

Well that's "marvy" but it doesn't amount to squat if he can't get to the qb?

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

How on Earth are you looking at this as Kyler being forced up because of Groot and Ed and not Von?  Kyler is clearly seeing the pressure from Von who's overpowering the Tackle and pushing him directly towards him. THAT'S the primary reason Murray moves up in the pocket and Miller's force of the Tackle into the pocket is what causes the QB to trip.

I don't even understand why you bring up Oliver as a factor when he's 5 yards away from Murray as he hits his back foot and never even really comes close to the QB.  Groot may have won his rep and we can all acknowledge that 11 guys play on both sides of the football and a successful play is usually a testament to more than just one player, but it's quite obvious it's Von's pressure that causes Kyler to step up in the pocket and Miller's force on the Tackle that causes the Tackle to trip.

For what it's worth, I've watched the clip several times and it sure looks to me like Miller pushed the tackle back into Murray, which is what caused Murray to go down.  After he hits the ground, Miller taps him to finish out the play.  It was an excellent rep by Miller at a critical point in the game.  Miller deserves the sack.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

4 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

You don’t think they’ll have AJE play out the second year of his deal?

They're probably stuck next year because his dead cap hit on his foolish extension I think is 6M.  So we probably can't get out till after next season. AJE's ceiling is around 5-6 sacks.  Groot deserves someone substantially better than the reincarnation of Chris Kelsay.

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Throw your pom poms in the bin. They are useless. The fact is that is a gimme sack. 3 players won their assignment, including Von (never disputed) and then he was the one who benefitted from the QB tripping over and touched him down. The rest is just pom pom waving and to try and take a victory lap on the back of it is royally ***** ridiculous. But you do you.

• Vomit 2

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They're probably stuck next year because his dead cap hit on his foolish extension I think is 6M.  So we probably can't get out till after next season. AJE's ceiling is around 5-6 sacks.  Groot deserves someone substantially better than the reincarnation of Chris Kelsay.

Laughing at the Kelsey comment 😂, when I think drought, that’s who I think of

Von had two good snaps that I saw. The bull rush and another where he got pressure. i still need to see A LOT more for me to want him to be anything more than a 5th/6th DE.

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Odd, because I have thought of Groot as a Kelsay type player thus far - very good against the run and a run of the mill pass rusher. He had an awesome game that included 15% of his career sacks. He hasn't exactly been DeMarcus Ware. If he gets 7 more sacks across the next 16 games do you want to pay him like a top 10 DE?

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Throw your pom poms in the bin. They are useless. The fact is that is a gimme sack. 3 players won their assignment, including Von (never disputed) and then he was the one who benefitted from the QB tripping over and touched him down. The rest is just pom pom waving and to try and take a victory lap on the back of it is royally ***** ridiculous. But you do you.

Dude shutup 

anybody watching can clearly see Vons power rush pushed the lineman into the qb 

watching live I was like damn Von finally showed something your just a hater and will sit in your corner blabbing your point because you can’t be wrong 

idiot take that was a key play on a key third down and you just want to hate 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I think it's just semantics, but I agree with half of this.  Sunday was mildly encouraging.  I thought that Miller DID prove that a) he's better than last year; and b) he is at a level where he can be on the field and make a contribution to the pass rush.  I agree that he did not prove that he's worth $20M per season or that he's going to play at his former Hall of Fame level, but he did prove something.

He had a few good plays against the run as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

well technically he "downed" Murray, who was already lying on the ground after falling. 

18 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Groot gets all the attention and deservedly so, but he already basically exceeded what he did for the entire season last year in one game.

When Von was on the field, you noticed him. 1 sack and 1 TFL as his impact plays aside, he was consistently a menace in the backfield. And anyone who doesn't want to give him credit for that sack should go watch the play again because he bull rushed the Tackle right into Murray, which caused it.

I was pretty confused at the amount of people saying things like "he has something like a 5% chance to do anything this season." :flirt:

Who knows what his sack production is for the rest of the season, but barring injury, he clearly looks like he'll be a net positive for our DL.

Hope the Von doubters find that Crow tasty  :beer:

I felt positive about his game - But It's One Game.  We need him to string together 16 more regular season, and then hopefully Playoffs