Von Miller proves the doubters wrong

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It is absolutely wild to me that some people want to pretend like Von Miller dog walking the Tackle back into Kyler Murray shouldn't count as a sack. 

Some of y'all gotta let that hate in your heart go.. not able to see things rationally. 

We saw last year how putting a tackle on roller skates can affect a throw.  But for Frank Clark we’re up by 3 or 4 heading into the waning moments of the KC playoff game.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. The rep is as I said. Murray trips up and Von taps him. He doesn't sack him in a traditional sense. 

You are talking nonsense. Haven't listened to Joe yet this week. I will. I respect his opinion. But unless he shows me stuff I missed in the game I disagree with him on Von. He was meh. 

How in the world are you giving Ed credit over Von for that sack? I mean…it’s obvious you have an agenda, but beyond that, it was a good play from Von. You can dispute the rest of the OP’s claim, but you cannot logically dispute the fact that it was a good play from Von.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't know that he proved anything yesterday other than he's able to suit up and do something other than run the long way around the line.

Yes he made a nice play shoving the tackle back into Murray. Murray did trip which allowed Miller to get the sack, without that trip he had escaped.

He also didn't show a lot of speed or quickness or the bend that made him Von Miller.

This week with a running QB a lot of focus was on containing the QB which makes sense. This coming week Miami prioritizes getting the ball out on time so I don't anticipate seeing a lot from Miller either.

Basically, a lot remains to be seen as to how far back he has come or he can come.

The running QB thing is where I’m at in the performance of the ends last week.  They were really disciplined.  No need to see bend or speed or dips from miller (or anyone else) last week.  

6 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Yup, that is the way I saw it as well.

Von was a non-factor until the 2nd half.

Groot's growth as a pass rusher and setting the edge is undeniable.

Expecting BIG things from him this year -- over 15 sacks.

Ed Oliver really needed a BIG 1DT next to him this year so Oliver could be the penetrator he was in college.

He is at the stage of his career where can do that if there is a BIG guy next to him to sop up 2 blockers.

Was there a defensive player who wasn't a non-factor until the second half?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The important thing is we all saw improvement from last year. He actually got a sack which will help his confidence.  Is he the shoulder dropping pass rusher from 5 years ago...of course not. But considering his contract and what we've had to endure these last 2 years, I'll take any kind of win involving Von's progress. I just want him to line up opposite Groot 70% of the time.  Less of AJE is a good thing. I'm sure we'll invest some of that extra cap $ on another pass rusher next season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This will be his last year as a Bill. He just never developed. He and Basham will go down as busts.

I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that everyone in the building really likes and respects Epenesa.  Total class act.  They want guys like him around. 

6 hours ago, Avisan said:

Bruh.

He "trips up" over the legs of the dudes getting bull-rushed into him, one of whom was Von's guy.  I presume you have eyes, so just... admit that Von played a significant role in that sack?  And it wasn't "Ed and Groot" winning their reps?

Why does it feel like a solid chunk of this board of "fans" short-circuits when the Bills and their players do well instead of being happy?

Sunken cost fallacy. Once a player has done something they dislike whether it be get injured, off field issues, or high salary they invest a lot of animosity towards that player. When that player ends up doing well, they cant just lose that large investment of hate, so they double down and are blinded to the upside of the player.

People do it with positivity on players too, but at least that is more fun and rooting for your team than the constant negativity.

Edited by What a Tuel

Von played pretty well on Sunday and made a couple of key plays.  While he's not the Von Miller in the prime of his career and never will be again, he was most definitely much better than anything we saw from him last year.  As most suspected, he needed more time to come back from the injury.  He's on the team this year and he took a pay cut, so even though his compensation (still) outweighs his production and likely will for the remainder of the season, that's in the past and nothing can be done about it.  I'd rather focus on the positives from Sunday and see what he can do for the rest of the season.  Unlike last season, where he added nothing and shouldn't have been on the field, he's now adding value to the team.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Von was a non-factor until the 2nd half.

Nah, in the GDT we noted at least two ghost moves that succeeded that made Murray move off his spot, however he bought time and made a play as not every Bill was winning the rep.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Miller hasn't proven anything. However, Sunday was mildly encouraging.

I'm a registered independent on this one... 

I don't agree with transplantbillsfan.  Miller didn't prove anything.  It was one game.  One sack where the QB tripped.  

I don't agree with GB, either.  It was a legit sack.  Von pushed the OL into the QB.  Pretty cool.  He deserves credit.  

If Von can average a sack per game, no matter how pretty the sack may be, we'd all be happy.  But I didn't see enough to be convinced that Von has returned to an elite level.  In fact, I doubt he ever will.  I do have hope, though, he'll prove to be a valuable rotational piece.  

2 hours ago, Radar said:

Agree on Von being meh in the game and with all due respect for Von's  career this was and will be a bad signing by Beane.

Neither of Beane's big FA signings worked out the way any of us hoped. 

I hope he thinks twice before he offers elite money again to a guy with red flags (Von - age; Diggs - attitude).  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Groot gets all the attention and deservedly so, but he already basically exceeded what he did for the entire season last year in one game.

When Von was on the field, you noticed him. 1 sack and 1 TFL as his impact plays aside, he was consistently a menace in the backfield. And anyone who doesn't want to give him credit for that sack should go watch the play again because he bull rushed the Tackle right into Murray, which caused it.

I was pretty confused at the amount of people saying things like "he has something like a 5% chance to do anything this season." :flirt:

Who knows what his sack production is for the rest of the season, but barring injury, he clearly looks like he'll be a net positive for our DL.

Hope the Von doubters find that Crow tasty  :beer:

Yeah, Von looked like he was a rookie again! LOL!

I mean the guy got paid a lot of money and pretty much everything we got was negative. Let’s hope he’s somewhat of a presence this year but he earned everyone of those doubters. 

also is there a better position than pass rusher. You can be invisible all game but if you make 2 or 3 plays, you can make a ton of money. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

If Von looks like he did on Sunday, against Miami, he may very well come down with another 1-2 sacks.  

The only reason he didn't have a multi-sack day on Sunday was due to Kyler escaping, along with us mistakenly slow rushing most of the first half.  Tua is not Kyler in terms of mobility and their OL isn't very good. 

Let's all hope Von, Rousseau, Jones and Oliver play to their abilities, because that will help Dorian, Cam, Rapp & Hamlin immensely. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hsker4life said:

How in the world are you giving Ed credit over Von for that sack? I mean…it’s obvious you have an agenda, but beyond that, it was a good play from Von. You can dispute the rest of the OP’s claim, but you cannot logically dispute the fact that it was a good play from Von.

I didn't give him credit over Von. Nor did I say Von didn't do a decent job on that play. I said it was a freebie sack. Any of them could have been the first to Murray to tag him when on the ground. And it isn't proof of anything.

What is your position? That those guys didn't win their assignments? Or that those guys winning their assignments had no part in reducing Murray's escape routes and that it was all Von Miller? Miller played a part in the pressure. Three Bills defenders closed in. Murray tripped over trying to fashion a way out. Von got a freebie sack.

Edited by GunnerBill

36 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Von looks like he did on Sunday, against Miami, he may very well come down with another 1-2 sacks.  

The only reason he didn't have a multi-sack day on Sunday was due to Kyler escaping, along with us mistakenly slow rushing most of the first half.  Tua is not Kyler in terms of mobility and their OL isn't very good. 

Let's all hope Von, Rousseau, Jones and Oliver play to their abilities, because that will help Dorian, Cam, Rapp & Hamlin immensely. 

I was at the game, sitting in the end zone 200's. I use wide field binoculars the entire game. I wasn't focused on Miller, just on how much pressure Kyler Murray was seeing, which wasn't very much. That Miller sack came when Murray tripped on a teammate. Listening to the postgame talk, I was surprised how upbeat people are on Miller's game. I saw nothing special, but again I didn't focus on his game.