Von Miller proves the doubters wrong

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Groot gets all the attention and deservedly so, but he already basically exceeded what he did for the entire season last year in one game.

When Von was on the field, you noticed him. 1 sack and 1 TFL as his impact plays aside, he was consistently a menace in the backfield. And anyone who doesn't want to give him credit for that sack should go watch the play again because he bull rushed the Tackle right into Murray, which caused it.

I was pretty confused at the amount of people saying things like "he has something like a 5% chance to do anything this season." :flirt:

Who knows what his sack production is for the rest of the season, but barring injury, he clearly looks like he'll be a net positive for our DL.

Hope the Von doubters find that Crow tasty  :beer:

This is why people have gotten rich in the stock market for centuries. 

The public is prone to such absolute emotional swings, you can buy low and sell high. They simply never learn. 

Groot gets all the attention and deservedly so, but he already basically exceeded what he did for the entire season last year in one game.

When Von was on the field, you noticed him. 1 sack and 1 TFL as his impact plays aside, he was consistently a menace in the backfield. And anyone who doesn't want to give him credit for that sack should go watch the play again because he bull rushed the Tackle right into Murray, which caused it.

I was pretty confused at the amount of people saying things like "he has something like a 5% chance to do anything this season." :flirt:

Who knows what his sack production is for the rest of the season, but barring injury, he clearly looks like he'll be a net positive for our DL.

This should not age well...

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Avisan said:

Bruh.

He "trips up" over the legs of the dudes getting bull-rushed into him, one of whom was Von's guy.  I presume you have eyes, so just... admit that Von played a significant role in that sack?  And it wasn't "Ed and Groot" winning their reps?

Why does it feel like a solid chunk of this board of "fans" short-circuits when the Bills and their players do well instead of being happy?

That is not a fair characterisation of me at all. But I say it as I see it with every player. Von was better than last year but that's a low bar. He had a few pressures but that wasn't a sack in more than the stat books. He pushed his guy back, fair, but Murray trips. He gets a freebie sack. 

Nobody would be more delighted than me if Von gets double digit sacks this year and proves me wrong. But I am going to be honest with what I see. 

An example - I have been a big critic of Mack Hollins all summer - he played well Sunday and ran the route for his touchdown perfectly to be in a position where only he could make a play on the ball. I have no issue eating crow where it is deserved. Von's performance on Sunday was not one that should have anyone doing victory laps. He was moving better and he managed to sustain a higher snap count than I'd have guessed. They were the positives for him in my view.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah the sack where Ed and Groot won their reps forced Kyler up and he tripped over and Von was the one who ran round to play tag? That sack?

He looked to be moving better than he did last year. That is fair. Beyond that, no. He did not prove the doubters wrong.

only Von and Groot were there and Von won his rep every bit as good as groot. In fact groot was still engaged in a block while Von already had his guy pushed back into Murray. 

you might want to watch that play again. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

First off Murray is not easy to keep in the pocket because he is small and very quick/fast.  I think Miller looked very good and believe he will get his sacks this season if he can remain healthy

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah the sack where Ed and Groot won their reps forced Kyler up and he tripped over and Von was the one who ran round to play tag? That sack?

He looked to be moving better than he did last year. That is fair. Beyond that, no. He did not prove the doubters wrong.

Terrible assessment 🤦‍♂️

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is not a fair characterisation of me at all. But I say it as I see it with every player. Von was better than last year but that's a low bar. He had a few pressures but that wasn't a sack in more than the stat books. He pushed his guy back, fair, but Murray trips. He gets a freebie sack. 

Nobody would be more delighted than me if Von gets double digit sacks this year and proves me wrong. But I am going to be honest with what I see. 

An example - I have been a big critic of Mack Hollins all summer - he played well Sunday and ran the route for his touchdown perfectly to be in a position where only he could make a play on the ball. I have no issue eating crow where it is deserved. Von's performance on Sunday was not one that should have anyone doing victory laps. He was moving better and he managed to sustain a higher snap count than I'd have guessed. They were the positives for him in my view.

Murray tripped because Von pushed his linemen into his lap. Dunno why this is hard for you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Murray tripped because Von pushed his linemen into his lap. Dunno why this is hard for you. 

I haven't said Von had a bad play. He pushed his guy back. But it was Murray's clumsiness that led to a freebie sack. It isn't hard. It is just the reality of what happened.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don’t really care much about the “proving doubters wrong” aspect of things.  Everyone with an ounce of sense knows Miller was simply not fully recovered from his injury last season but played anyway.  He didn’t suddenly “forget” how to play football and rush the passer, he just wasn’t healthy.

On Sunday Miller looked and played like a legitimate NFL defensive end.  That’s all we can ask for and I hope it continues.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I haven't said Von had a bad play. He pushed his guy back. But it was Murray's clumsiness that led to a freebie sack. It isn't hard. It is just the reality of what happened.

Having 300 pound folks pushed directly into your legs tends to induce clumsiness, yes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, eball said:

On Sunday Miller looked and played like a legitimate NFL defensive end.  That’s all we can ask for and I hope it continues.

Depends what you mean by this. As opposed to someone who had no business being on an NFL field like he did last year? Yes, he did. But as a guy who is going to affect games consistently? No, he needs to do more to demonstrate that. 

6 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

I want to believe but Von did not even start the game.

ESPN did.

The way our D line rotates you’re worried about who started? Everyone is going to play, everyone is going to contribute. Epenesa played DT even.