MNF Thread Jets at 49ers - CMC INACTIVE

Big Blitz

2 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Shhh most people around these parts will say it was all the defense,  tyrod was just a game manager.

I would say the Bengal's and Andy Dalton ended the drought by going into Baltimore and against every reasonable expectation beating the Ravens.

3 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

What other system and situation do you think you could plug purdy into and he would be good? Definitely not ours. I think he could do pretty good in Miami because they run the same system and have insane weapons too. But that might be it. The inverse is true though that there’s lots of QBs that could do what purdy does in this system. Even guys like Brissett could do it.  But that’s the point. He has Shanahan dialing up plays where there are at least 2 elite weapons wide open on every single play. All he has to do is play action, turn around and pick which guy to throw to. Even Jimmy G did it for years. But this is even more insane when CMC is out there. Purdy is just along for the ride. 

Chiefs vs 49ers again. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

I guess I just disagree. I didn’t see receivers running wide open all over the place last night, and Purdy made some throws that had a high degree of difficulty (with his WR actually dropping multiple TDs).

He probably wouldn’t succeed in the same way Allen does here, because that is almost like backyard football. But maybe he would succeed here in a different way (throwing on time to whatever the correct read for the play is).

8 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The funny thing is what is the difference?

The Jets were prepared for CMC but totally rattled when this dude showed up on the field?

I think if CMAC was on the field a couple of those 49 FG drives would have been TD drives and it would have been an even bigger blowout.  The holes that were being opened in the Jet D line were huge and CMAC likley would have also taken one to the house from distance to.  Last night was a bad sign for the Jet's D as they were awful.

15 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I guess I just disagree. I didn’t see receivers running wide open all over the place last night, and Purdy made some throws that had a high degree of difficulty (with his WR actually dropping multiple TDs).

He probably wouldn’t succeed in the same way Allen does here, because that is almost like backyard football. But maybe he would succeed here in a different way (throwing on time to whatever the correct read for the play is).

I guess I’m just jealous of how easy he’s got it. We can’t get Josh 1 elite weapon and he’s got kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC, and the best LT in football. Lots of easy quick throws to guys running open on slants and in routes that go for huge YAC. We never get that. I’m tired of Josh having to do it all and play backyard ball. Just wish he could get paired with a great offfensive mind instead of McDermott and 1st year offensive coordinators. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tuesday morning reflections:

5. And that Jets offense... it's like a set of baubels looking for a Christmas tree. Rodgers had some real nice throws. Wilson had that one drive where he was unguardable, and Hall (while poor tonight) will have some moments over the course of the season. But there is no structure. There is no method. It is like someone has constructed the gameplan by ripping pages out of the gameplans of all 31 other teams then jumbling them together. They will need to find some semblence of an identity to have success and not just rely on "give Rodgers time and he can make every throw."

This sounds a lot like the last few years around here.

28 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

What other system and situation do you think you could plug purdy into and he would be good? Definitely not ours. I think he could do pretty good in Miami because they run the same system and have insane weapons too. But that might be it. The inverse is true though that there’s lots of QBs that could do what purdy does in this system. Even guys like Brissett could do it.  But that’s the point. He has Shanahan dialing up plays where there are at least 2 elite weapons wide open on every single play. All he has to do is play action, turn around and pick which guy to throw to. Even Jimmy G did it for years. But this is even more insane when CMC is out there. Purdy is just along for the ride. 

Well what does he do well? he gets the ball to the playmakers in space and makes quick decisions. That can work in just about any system, including ours. I could see him doing well in Denver with Sean Peyton or Minnesota with OConnell. Miami as you mentioned. He probably be great with Stefanski in Cleveland. I think he is much better than people want to give him credit for. He has the most yards in a season as the 49ers QB in history (Some decent names in that history) He instantly lifted that team from playoff team to SB contender when Jimmy G got hurt and he hasn't slowed down at all.

Teams just missed on him. He's great 

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Even with the loss last night they still have a good chance to be 4-1 heading into the Bills game.

at Titans

Patriots

Broncos

Vikings (London)

Bills

With how they played last night, none of those are gimmies 

Just now, elroy16 said:

This sounds a lot like the last few years around here.

Last year, for sure. I think before that the Bills have had something of an identity. Lots of shotgun passing, only running to keep the D honest, lots of option routes, lots of outbreaking plays and Josh's legs in the endzone. I think last year was a bit of a muddle and so far this year they seem to be going slightly away from what they have been.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

It seemed to me that the Jests defense has spent too much time basking in media adulation and not enough time preparing.   They got butt whooped ... and the offense was so pedestrian, there's no way it could bail them out.  Rodgers certainly didn't look like a super hero.

Very early in the game, I think when the Niners were trailing, one of the announcers actually said that Shanahan said that the way to beat the Jets' defense was to run between the tackles.  Boy, did they run between the tackles ... all game long. 

Which tells me the Bills will run a ton of jet sweeps, off tackle runs an pass the ball 40 times against the Jets.

31 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

I guess I’m just jealous of how easy he’s got it. We can’t get Josh 1 elite weapon and he’s got kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC, and the best LT in football. Lots of easy quick throws to guys running open on slants and in routes that go for huge YAC. We never get that. I’m tired of Josh having to do it all and play backyard ball. Just wish he could get paired with a great offfensive mind instead of McDermott and 1st year offensive coordinators. 

I feel the same way when I watch the Chiefs. Not necessarily the pass catchers but the scheme.

Every drive Mahomes will have at least a couple passes to wide open receivers down the field that have been schemed open in a clever way. It even happens in the red zone where things are supposed to be compressed and tighter for the offense. The Bills have a schemed wide open WR or TE approximately never.

Hate to say it but Rodgers looked pretty good throwing the ball and processing the defense.  His WR’s let him down a couple of times and he’s a sitting duck if you get pressure.   But if he gets time he is still really good.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Hate to say it but Rodgers looked pretty good throwing the ball and processing the defense.  His WR’s let him down a couple of times and he’s a sitting duck if you get pressure.   But if he gets time he is still really good.  

I agree a little bit with this. It was week 1. A lot of teams, including The Bills, looked rusty. Let's talk in a few weeks.

One thing I saw mentioned somewhere on X was that deebo TD where the Jets defender almost punched the ball out at the goalline. That would have been a touchback and no 7 points at a time in the game when the Jets were still in it. Interesting is all.....

Overall, I thought the Jets looked bad. One game at a time but GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Agreed.

There was always a chance the post-injury Rodgers would be a final year Peyton Manning - totally immobile, zip gone off his passes, surviving on smarts/savvy alone. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

He didn't even try to move around much against the Niners. Obviously he'll never have the running ability of the young Rodgers, but if he shows even some mobility I'm afraid they've got themselves a pretty good QB for the first time since ... Vinny Testaverde?

I can't quite get over how good that Niners roster is. Like, we talk about the Bills missing out on the top prize with our players. But for these Niners not to win something with the current set up would be criminal. There's an argument for it being one of the most complete rosters ever assembled IMO. 

Edited by Danger Mouse

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

The 49ers hid McCaffery's injury status which a no no. Some would say for competitive reasons but more likely for the gambling sites. I know it hurt my fantasy team as had I known Friday I could have adjusted my lineup. 

But they didn’t hide his injury. He was questionable. Sometime questionable players don’t play. 

again, the niners have an easy out here saying mason was told he was starting Friday because CMC couldn’t handle the full workload and we ruled out CMc right before the game because he wasn’t good enough. 

1 hour ago, Danger Mouse said:

I can't quite get over how good that Niners roster is. Like, we talk about the Bills missing out on the top prize with our players. But for these Niners not to win something with the current set up would be criminal. There's an argument for it being one of the most complete rosters ever assembled IMO. 

It’s insane and part of my frustration. Nothing haunts them and it drives me crazy. Things that would derail us and the other 30 teams bounces off of them. They dealt 3 1sts for Trey Lance which is supposed to set a franchise back a decade. Nope. Not a problem. Imagine this team with 3 other first rounders. Jimmy G got hurt. Didn’t matter either since Shanahan is so good at scheming guys open that you can plug the last pick in the draft in there and you’re fine. Contract disputes? Holdouts? Who cares. Trent Williams sat out all this preseason holding out then walked right in and played every snap. It’s insane the fortune they’ve had. Helps that every elite qb resides in the other conference for the most part but still. 

KC can’t win every SB. This is the Niners year. No one else has a roster near theirs. 

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

I feel the same way when I watch the Chiefs. Not necessarily the pass catchers but the scheme.

Every drive Mahomes will have at least a couple passes to wide open receivers down the field that have been schemed open in a clever way. It even happens in the red zone where things are supposed to be compressed and tighter for the offense. The Bills have a schemed wide open WR or TE approximately never.

EXACTLY. We just are content with Josh making it up as he goes along. KC has limited weapons but Reid schemes them open and Mahomes does the rest. SF has the leagues best weapons and Shanahan schemes them wide open every play with tons of room for YAC. It’s the deadliest combination. We have limited weapons and don’t bother scheming anything for them. It’s a bad combination and inexcusable when you have the 2nd best qb on planet earth.