Kyler Murray on getting the ball to Harrison, Jr. "It's not my job"

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I am stunned that Kyler made such a ridiculous statement. The coach said that it was because of the Bills defense that Marvin Harrison, Jr. didn't have but 3 targets, but Kyler of course says no, that's not the case, directly contradicting his own coach. Looney tunes!

"“I wouldn’t say (the Bills) were taking him away,” the signal caller added when talking about Harrison’s lack of production. “As a quarterback going through your reads, sometimes the ball goes to him. It’s not my job. Obviously, I have a sense and a feel for the guys when they aren’t getting the ball and when they are getting the ball, but I leave that up to (offensive coordinator Drew Petzing). He tells me, ‘Don’t worry about that type of stuff. Just keep playing your game and get the ball where it’s supposed to go.'”"

https://arizonasports.com/story/3557494/marvin-harrison-jr-nonfactor-bills/

Why is Murray's statement ridiculous?  When did the coach say that and was Murray there when he did so?

It seems Murray is just being honest, stating how he views their offense and his roll in it. You can see that attitude in the way he plays and the offensive philosophy, with lots of parts coming together as one.  Seems similar to Allen and the Bills.  It is whey the Bills were so much better last year once we removed the diva.  This is about getting the ball down the field, not feeding a princess.

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Ummm... So the coordinator tells him where the ball is supposed to go and MHJ is targeted 3 times. Which means the coordinator didn't want to feature their (presumed) studly, high pick WR? 

I am confused 

Feels like tight ends/slot receivers and power running has the most success against mcd defenses and was most of what was featured 

coverage held up well on a lot of plays and Kyler beat us with his legs too.  

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Murray continues to be a horrible leader 🤣 Some things never change.

I don’t understand this logic at all. 

Up to this point he’s caught hell for not taking football seriously enough. But now he answers a question indicating he’s taking it seriously and somehow that’s the wrong answer too?

How is he a bad leader by refusing to force the ball to one player instead of doing his actual job which is making the best decisions based on the gameplan and playcalls, regardless of who’s getting the ball?

Kyler Murray isn’t employed by Marvin Harrison Jr. Aren’t we the fanbase that’s been so excited all summer to not have Diggs’ diva drama? This sounds an awful lot like that…

EDIT: @MJS not trying to call you out specifically, just the most recent on this theme…

Edited by glazeduck
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, glazeduck said:

I don’t understand this logic at all. 

Up to this point he’s caught hell for not taking football seriously enough. But now he answers a question indicating he’s taking it seriously and somehow that’s the wrong answer too?

How is he a bad leader by refusing to force the ball to one player instead of doing his actual job which is making the best decisions based on the gameplan and playcalls, regardless of who’s getting the ball?

Kyler Murray isn’t employed by Marvin Harrison Jr. Aren’t we the fanbase that’s been so excited all summer to not have Diggs’ diva drama? This sounds an awful lot like that…

Because he said "It's not my job". It was a stupid thing to say. Murray just is not a leader. He is all about himself and always has been. When things are going badly, he points to everyone else. He has horrible body language on the field.

Hey, we can't all be good leaders, but as a QB in the NFL you need a baseline of leadership, or at least don't be a distraction, and he always makes himself a distraction somehow. Sorry, I feel strongly about this. He is a sucky leader.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Because he said "It's not my job". It was a stupid thing to say. Murray just is not a leader. He is all about himself and always has been. When things are going badly, he points to everyone else. He has horrible body language on the field.

Hey, we can't all be good leaders, but as a QB in the NFL you need a baseline of leadership, or at least don't be a distraction, and he always makes himself a distraction somehow. Sorry, I feel strongly about this. He is a sucky leader.

I guess  agree to disagree? He’s 100% right, getting the ball to one specific player isn’t his job. To me that sounds like a guy who’s taking what IS his job seriously and putting the team over any one player. That’s… leadership. 

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I am stunned that Kyler made such a ridiculous statement. The coach said that it was because of the Bills defense that Marvin Harrison, Jr. didn't have but 3 targets, but Kyler of course says no, that's not the case, directly contradicting his own coach. Looney tunes!

"“I wouldn’t say (the Bills) were taking him away,” the signal caller added when talking about Harrison’s lack of production. “As a quarterback going through your reads, sometimes the ball goes to him. It’s not my job. Obviously, I have a sense and a feel for the guys when they aren’t getting the ball and when they are getting the ball, but I leave that up to (offensive coordinator Drew Petzing). He tells me, ‘Don’t worry about that type of stuff. Just keep playing your game and get the ball where it’s supposed to go.'”"

https://arizonasports.com/story/3557494/marvin-harrison-jr-nonfactor-bills/

Seeing the coach's explanation for Harrison's lack of targets, it basically means the Bills were making a deliberate effort to take Harrison out of the game.  Kyler doesn't say it in the best way possible, but to force the ball to Harrison under the circumstances could have raised the chances for a turnover.  

7 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Murrays right in it's not his job to feed Harrison if he's not open. Granted we all saw the replay of him wide open late in the game in the end zone but prior to that now open was he? 

He wast really even open. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

He wast really even open. 

The pressure caused him to move off that side of the field. He hangs on one more second and he hits Harrison. By the time he looks back over to the right side the defenders are moving back and he;d have to throw it like 60-65 yards to the back corner of the endzone to get that TD... which is unlikely unless you have a Allen/Baker/Mahomes arm

It wasn't the most elegant statement but it's completely true. If Murray was going through his reads based on The playcall and defensive looks, and it just so happened that MJH wasn't a top read a large portion of the game, then that's what I want my QB to do. It's what i wish Josh would have done more of the last few years instead of always looking for a home run.

8 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I think Kyler could have stated it more elegantly, but the basis of what he is saying is correct. He isn’t out there to force it to Harrison Jr. The wide open Harrison Jr though? Yeah, you screwed that one up Kyler.  

That was the play where Cam Lewis blitzed and leaped into the air just as Murray was about to throw to MHJ.  Murray pulled it down, ran around, got nothing.  Cam didn't get credit for it, but he stopped the easy TD to MHJ there.

• Like (+1) 1

He didnt stop for the back shoulder, and had a ball bounce off his hands for a would be first down.  Those early plays impacted his involvement when the game was on the line late.

The screen shot of him breaking open loses all the context of the play.  Douglas moved off of Harrison after he moved to the otherside of the pocket and looking at the otherside of the field.  With the blitz the expectation was for a 3-5 drop and ball is out.  When that wasnt the case Douglas and safety recovered.  Only way Harrison gets the ball is if Murray threw it to him at the snap before he broke open.  That would have been a 50/50 ball with Douglas which im sure the scouting report was to avoid.  Douglas is top 5 in interceptions since 2021.  

No matter the pedigree, no matter hype.  Harrison is human.  They didnt get him going early and even the broadcast was able to pick up on his nerves before the game.  

8 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

That was the play where Cam Lewis blitzed and leaped into the air just as Murray was about to throw to MHJ.  Murray pulled it down, ran around, got nothing.  Cam didn't get credit for it, but he stopped the easy TD to MHJ there.

I dont think he was going for Harrison.  I think he was looking at the slot who was hot.  Harrison was open because Douglas was watching Murrays eyes and was breaking down to jump the route. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1