Is Josh being asked to do more than ever this year?

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Read again.  I never lack of talent….i said lack of “high-end” talent.  Which WR on the team is WR1 caliber?  

You could say the same about the Chiefs wide receiver room. Talented but no clear number one. I know the response to this so will just say, yes, Kelce makes a huge difference on that offense. But, even if he missed a few games, I think Mahomes and the WR room/remaining TEs would make it work.

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Read again.  I never lack of talent….i said lack of “high-end” talent.  Which WR on the team is WR1 caliber?  

Whoever has the most catches.

And what did you see yesterday that proved your point?

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s one game for god almighty.  Josh chooses some of these plays.  There’s only so much the coaches can hold him back.  Be grateful we have him, but then again, you have almost no posts so we’ll see how you post in the future.  Hopefully it’s not a flurry of doom and gloom.

Right. Some of the Superman-ing he does is self inflicted. McD referenced somebody telling him Hollins was open on a play and Josh didn’t take it. Josh himself mentioned that he had Coleman open on one of his rushing TD’s but decided to run it himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think the best chance would be to try to run the offense through Dalton Kincaid

I had thought this too, but they scored 34 points hardly using him, and it killed my parlay. 

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

You aren’t wrong… We saw this on display yesterday.   They are missing high-end talent at the WR position.   The same complaint I’ve had since moving on from Diggs. I had no problem with the trade but thought they should have done more to replace him. 

The main players Coleman, Shakir, and Samuels are solid complimentary options but not for your primary WR.

I think the best chance would be to try to run the offense through Dalton Kincaid

You know what we were replacing in Diggs was a guy who averaged 8.9 ypc his final 10 games here though right?  And while he got 2 short TD's, he still averaged just 5.5 ypc in his debut with Houston.  

And as far as Kincaid goes, you know we scored 34 points Sunday with Kincaid only getting 1 catch right?  And Coleman led the receivers in snaps, targets, receptions, and yards...plus Allen said he had a TD to him on a slant he didn't throw because he had an easy running lane to run the TD in, otherwise Coleman would have added a TD to his impressive debut.  Shakir now has 3 TD's in his last 3 games going back to the 2 playoff games too.  And Samuel didn't even get involved yet, guessing because of his toe.  

So I am struggling to get to where you are here in this post after Sundays game.  I don't care who is on the field...if we keep putting up high scores is all that matters.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Josh is Josh.  Because he makes insane plays people say its all on him.  Why aren't people asking if Mahomes is being asked to do too much when he puts the team on his back and makes big plays only he could make?  

Josh's weapons all came through all game long for Josh.  But somehow its all on Josh again?  

And for the record, Josh literally said he had Coleman open for a TD on a slant but he elected to run the ball on his first running TD because it was there.  He admitted he should have thrown it to Keon and that because of this play and seeing Keon win all day, he trusted him to throw up that deep shot for him.  

So a lot of this are decisions Josh is making in these moments.  And when you can run the ball in with an insanely high degree of success, its easy for him to just do so.  No risk of a tipped ball or misread of a defender, etc.  Josh is not a running QB, but he will on his own accord take off without hesitation with his legs if he sees a path to a big gain, first down, or TD.  

Spot on with a lot of what you said. As to the bolded yeah he’s not a running qb per se but he does have more trust in his legs than his arms in certain situations. Like the scenario with Coleman in this game.

A good analogy, if you golf, is putting off the greens vs chipping. Some people have more confidence putting off the greens so they prefer to do that vs chipping where a lot of things could go wrong. It’s fine but it stunts their game in the long run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

You aren’t wrong… We saw this on display yesterday.   They are missing high-end talent at the WR position.   The same complaint I’ve had since moving on from Diggs. I had no problem with the trade but thought they should have done more to replace him. 

The main players Coleman, Shakir, and Samuels are solid complimentary options but not for your primary WR.

You're not wrong, but it won't go over well after a win. 

26 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right. Some of the Superman-ing he does is self inflicted. McD referenced somebody telling him Hollins was open on a play and Josh didn’t take it. Josh himself mentioned that he had Coleman open on one of his rushing TD’s but decided to run it himself. 

I love the guy, but you get what you get with Josh.  I still wouldn’t trade him for any AB in the NFL, and not by a long shot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Just seems like it's our franchise QB's 7th year and he's being asked to carry more of a load than ever (which is a lot). I know at a micro level people are excited about the win yesterday but this also seems like a mediocre roster overall that Josh is being asked to carry (as usual).

Thoughts?

The real answer, at this point, is “not sure.”

we have a 1 game sample size. It’s a data point, not a trend.

through the first 6 games of 2020, Josh had 37 rushing attempts. An average of 6 per game, but with a high of 14 on week one. 

Through the first 6 games of 2021, Josh had 44 rushing attempts. An average of 7.3 with a high of 11.

2022 it was 47, with a high of 12

2023, it was 22, with a high of 6.

I think Josh will probably end up somewhere around the 2021-2022 numbers. So really, no more than he’s been asked to before.

Its just who he is. He relishes the role. The ball is snapped and he becomes every kid tossing the ball around in his backyard. I would rather he chose to pass when there are open receivers. I would rather he slid instead of going beast mode. But I much rather he took off a hair too early then sit there and get blown up. So its kind of a delicate balance. Yesterday the team needed him to be superman. Hopefully that becomes less over the season.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I love the guy, but you get what you get with Josh.  I still wouldn’t trade him for any AB in the NFL, and not by a long shot.

Agreed. I wasn’t even complaining. lol. He just is who he is. Nobody forces that out of him. 

• Agree 1

One game is too small a sample size to draw that conclusion.  In the heat of the moment, Josh is going to do what he thinks he needs to do to help the team be successful.  He has the physical talent to make it happen.  Fortunately, he's also been pretty durable. 

Josh is a generational, dual-threat QB. And being a QB means he touches the ball on every offensive play. So, it will always look like Josh is doing everything...because he is just that good at everything he does. 

Even if he had a team of all-stars around him, Josh would still be doing what he's doing. You just wouldn't be able to claim that it was because of a lack of talent around him.

P.S. Our talent-level is fine. Also, it was game one and Josh is still getting comfortable with his new weapons. Remember, Shakir was the only WR who had caught a pass from Josh in a game prior to Sunday. And as Josh said in his post-game interview, Keon was open in the end zone on one of his rushing TDs, but he decided to take it in himself. Maybe his competitive nature made him make that decision, because Keon was a rookie in his first game. But as they all get more comfortable with each other and the WRs keep making plays, Josh will trust his weapons more and more and not feel he has to do as much maybe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1