Is Josh being asked to do more than ever this year?

44 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Just seems like it's our franchise QB's 7th year and he's being asked to carry more of a load than ever (which is a lot). I know at a micro level people are excited about the win yesterday but this also seems like a mediocre roster overall that Josh is being asked to carry (as usual).

Thoughts?

He’s doing the same thing he’s done every year. His desire to win is great.

No difference than any other year.

I’m more concerned about the defensive backfield 

So let me get this straight, for 20 years we've been begging for an elite QB. Now that we have one in his prime, we're complaining he's doing too much?

Boy, I hope we draft Trent Edwards II next year so we don't rely too much on our QB.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Does this include Allen’s runs?

For yesterday:

Total plays = 56

Runs = 33 (59%)

JA runs (included in above) = 9

Stupid calc but if we subtract 9 from each number, the run percent = 24/47 = 51%

Edited by Fan in Chicago

35 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Just seems like it's our franchise QB's 7th year and he's being asked to carry more of a load than ever (which is a lot). I know at a micro level people are excited about the win yesterday but this also seems like a mediocre roster overall that Josh is being asked to carry (as usual).

Thoughts?

You aren’t wrong… We saw this on display yesterday.   They are missing high-end talent at the WR position.   The same complaint I’ve had since moving on from Diggs. I had no problem with the trade but thought they should have done more to replace him. 

The main players Coleman, Shakir, and Samuels are solid complimentary options but not for your primary WR.

I think the best chance would be to try to run the offense through Dalton Kincaid

37 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

For yesterday:

Total plays = 56

Runs = 33 (59%)

JA runs (included in above) = 9

Stupid calc but if we subtract 9 from each number run percent = 24/47 = 51%

Also Allen runs plus passes = 32/56 = 57% which is not high usage 

1 hour ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Thoughts?

Josh is Josh.  Because he makes insane plays people say its all on him.  Why aren't people asking if Mahomes is being asked to do too much when he puts the team on his back and makes big plays only he could make?  

Josh's weapons all came through all game long for Josh.  But somehow its all on Josh again?  

And for the record, Josh literally said he had Coleman open for a TD on a slant but he elected to run the ball on his first running TD because it was there.  He admitted he should have thrown it to Keon and that because of this play and seeing Keon win all day, he trusted him to throw up that deep shot for him.  

So a lot of this are decisions Josh is making in these moments.  And when you can run the ball in with an insanely high degree of success, its easy for him to just do so.  No risk of a tipped ball or misread of a defender, etc.  Josh is not a running QB, but he will on his own accord take off without hesitation with his legs if he sees a path to a big gain, first down, or TD.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

You aren’t wrong… We saw this on display yesterday.   They are missing high-end talent at the WR position.

I can't wait to hear how you saw the lack of talent at WR on display yesterday :lol:

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The offense better get used to scoring 35 - 40 per game

or it'll be a long season 

I’m not so sure yet…pretty good effort in the second half against an offense that’s a tough matchup.  A lot of those plays the secondary held up well but Kyler broke contain too.  Defense held them to 80 total yards and 3 points in the second half 

they also got absolutely giftwrapped 4 points by the refs early so in total the defense really only gave up 17

i think over the course of the season the defense probably finishes above average in the measurable stats but just misses the top 10

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I can't wait to hear how you saw the lack of talent at WR on display yesterday :lol:

Read again.  I never lack of talent….i said lack of “high-end” talent.  Which WR on the team is WR1 caliber?  

Josh should probably hold onto the ball longer and run more. 

I’m sure that’s what Daboll … and Dorsey … and Brady … have all been asking him to do for his entire career. 

38 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Agree w the OP, Josh can’t be expected to sack the opposing QB 3 times every game.

Rousseau only had a few plays in preseason, and he seemed to dominate most of them. Here’s to hoping he is the next guy we put in the “elite” category for Beane draft picks. He can be a serious BEAST! 

• Like (+1) 1

With the D having the possibility of giving up more points per drive, it is all the more important to keep the drives down to a minimum.

So, this hatred of "complimentary" football might be a little contradictory.

I would love nothing more than seeing what we presume Brady's offense to be succeed.  It's the best of all worlds.

I am more than willing to see the Bills capitalize on 7-minute TD drives.  Miami game will tell A LOT.

It's only been 1 game.  Let's see some more games as to what is happening and what is done in response.