4th Down Decision

newcam2012

21 minutes ago, T.E. said:

We won because Murray inexplicably missed a wide-open Harrison for a sure TD and because Ingraham thankfully wasn't called for PI on the last Arizona play. It's not like McDermott's strategy over the last three minutes was integral to success.

Partly true and valid. However, a TD to Harrison still would have left the Bills time to get into position and kick a game winning FG. I don't think you can assume the Bills lose at that point. Also, no guarantee the Cards get a TD even if PI is called. 

14 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Woookay, dream on, stay mad, why are guys like you so angry and negative!!!! Go Bills!!!! I am intrigued by you people, Oh ya, the Bills won and that drives you crazy!

I don't see or feel anyone mad or negative. Just a healthy football discussion I believe. Even the "new Newcam" can appreciate that. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Partly true and valid. However, a TD to Harrison still would have left the Bills time to get into position and kick a game winning FG. I don't think you can assume the Bills lose at that point. Also, no guarantee the Cards get a TD even if PI is called. 

I don't see or feel anyone mad or negative. Just a healthy football discussion I believe. Even the "new Newcam" can appreciate that. 

Come on, read these posts and tell me that, too many just cant celebrate a Bills win, too much emotion tied up in the "fire everybody" gang!

The 3rd down call and execution was the worst part of the sequence. 

To go up by 6 is a reasonable choice.  If they only need a FG to tie going with the wind, that would have been a tough ask of the defense.  

I said in the moment to kick it.  I also said to myself if McD goes for it and he doesn't make it I would not rip him for that decision.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Come on, read these posts and tell me that, too many just cant celebrate a Bills win, too much emotion tied up in the "fire everybody" gang!

Well, I would respectfully disagree. The coaches are being fairly critiqued. I think it’s not unreasonable to suggest the Bills could have called TO before the play Josh was rushed on. The very predictable calls on 2nd and 3. Some fairly suggested it had to do with Josh’s hand. That is very possible.
But I think it’s not unreasonable to hold SM accountable for all of it because its his team.  Having said that the team won and other threads have pointed out some very positive things from the game. This is about the 4th and 3 80% agree that was the right call. But how did we get there after 2nd and 3, that’s all. I would like to see SM better in close game decisions. That’s all 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I thoughts Sean McDermott's explanation of it was well stated. It was clear he had a really tough time with the decision. He even said if it was 4th and 2 they would've gone for it, but 4th and 3 was a bridge too far. He rightly pointed out that even if they Bills had gone for it and converted, it wouldn't have necessarily put the game away, as the Cardinals still had all three timeouts. 

All in all, I was okay with the decision, because putting the opposing offense in a situation where they need a TD instead of a FG adds a SIGNIFICANT amount of stress and difficulty. Also, without that extra three points, that game was likely headed to overtime yesterday, as the Cards were already in field goal position at the end of the game.

I don't fault anyone who would've preferred to go for it, but I thought it was the right call in the moment.

4th and 1, absolutely go for it but beyond that it was the right call by McD.  Take the points...give Bass a little confidence...and pin your ears back and force AZ to score a td.  I didn't see DHop anywhere on the field.  There's going to come a day when McD has an epiphany and realizes trying not to lose is worse than trying to win. His lifelong conservative nature will never cut it with the upper echelon teams.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

With the "Brotherly shove" mechanics 1 yard plays are now gimmies. Ol fires out low and takes down the DL. The LBs and safties need to commit immediately and the QB go straight ahead aided by the RBs push.  Of course, it's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the essence of the play.