9 Receivers Catch A Pass! Bills record?

GASabresIUFan

It's cool to spread the ball out but this isn't that uncommon. Teams usually dress at least...

5 WR

3 TE

3 RB

It's probably happened at least once a year since Josh has been here.

Just spot-checked two games last year...

week 1 loss to NYJ Josh hit 8 receivers

week 2 win against LV Josh hit 9 receviers

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Somehow I think our team catch rate will be up this year. Spread the wealth 17.

INTs will go down too without Gabe Davis, who in my opinion was notorious for both. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Big picture, I think the Bills expected to defeat the Cardinals, and did not want to show Miami anything prior to the game Thursday night.  All the short to medium throws will not get the job done over the course of the season, so I suspect the Bills have a lot of plays in their arsenal we haven't seen.  And throwing to 10 receivers, 9 of whom caught passes, should make it hard for Miami to game plan against just a couple.

Looking for Kincaid to have a breakout game on national TV on Thursday.

• Agree 3

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Surprised by the low snap count for Shakir, and really surprised by the even lower snap count for Samuel. 

The Bills had 62 offensive plays.  Kincaid was on the field for 52 and Knox for 36.  By my math that means there were at least 26 plays where the Bills were in 12.  42% of the time.  This was about what we expected, maybe even a little higher.  I think Brady is still tinkering and will be for while, but it's encouraging he's trying out new stuff.  OTOH this might mean none of the WRs except apparently Coleman were making a strong case to be on the field.

All this might be moot.  Brady and the rest of the coaches might have been trying not to show the Miami coaches all the tricks in their bag.  

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Turf toe not 100%

Does anyone have any idea on whether the 9 receivers is a Bills record?

I can’t answer the question (although it’s posted above that there was at least a tie), but it does remind me of the way the other Brady (Tom) used to piss me off. He’d have 11 completions in the first quarter to 8-9 different guys. You never knew where he’d go next and you have to try to cover it all. There’s a lot to be said for that. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Big picture, I think the Bills expected to defeat the Cardinals, and did not want to show Miami anything prior to the game Thursday night.  All the short to medium throws will not get the job done over the course of the season, so I suspect the Bills have a lot of plays in their arsenal we haven't seen.  And throwing to 10 receivers, 9 of whom caught passes, should make it hard for Miami to game plan against just a couple.

Looking for Kincaid to have a breakout game on national TV on Thursday.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling we do this all the time.  As in a lot is saved for playoffs.  

I think it’s best if we put “is it a record” to the side. The point should be that we spread the ball around. We are looking for games to see where we’ve done more, but what if we look at all the games where we did less. 

It’s one game. Let’s stay healthy, keep piling up wins and see what it looks like with a bigger sample size. 

Dump it short to medium throws and let the WR make a play and earn some YAC......something Diggs could never do. He'd make a catch and drop, sometimes trip over the yard markers as well.

I agree with the O philosophy going on.....we don't need one great guy; we need a bunch of mediocre to good guys that can actually catch a pass when it matters.

Well I answered my own question pretty quickly.  I went to https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201809160buf.htm  and found that Josh actually completed passes to 10 different receivers in his 2nd NFL game and 1st start.  We lost 31-20 to LAC, but Josh was 18/33 for 245 1 TD and 2 Ints.   The receivers were McCoy (4/4 29 yds), Chris Ivory (1/2 30 yds), Marcus Murphy (1/5 7 yds), Zay Jones (2/3 63 yds), Robert Foster (2/3 30 yds), Clay (2/3 29 yds), Pat DiMarco (1/1 24 yds), Benjamin (2/3 19 yds & a TD), Logan Thomas (1/1 7 yds) and Jason Croom (2/4 7 yds).  Honestly I have no memory of Marcus Murphy and Pat DiMarco.