A Few Thoughts about the Cardinals Game, in no particular order

Virgil

3 hours ago, dlonce said:

Nice observations.

Regarding Ed Oliver, you’ll see he was double teamed for much of the game.

I’ll take you at your word.   I didn’t notice, but also wasn’t focusing on it.  I was watch the edge and safeties most of the time 

10 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Please keep writing these this season. I always look forward to reading them. Thank you. 

Yeah, who needs the Buffalo News or any other pay site when we have Virgil!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, mannc said:

Allen averaged 10 yards per passing attempt yesterday and the Bills had 14 plays that gained more than 10 yards.  McDermott/Brady kept the Cards in the game with "play not to lose" football on the last couple of possessions.  It was as if they thought Tyrod Taylor was still their quarterback.  

I was very happy with ball distribution and the overall game plan on both sides of the ball.

I do however agree with you here and it almost cost Buffalo the football game. Bills needed a TD on the last possession to seal the deal. Murray in the last minute of a football game vs Buffalo? We have seen this highlight reel before... 

Thanks Virgil, much appreciated. You see the response.

We like your unorganized thoughts.

Edited by Figster

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

6 - Groot - I can't help but feel pessimistic when I write this, but I just watched this monster earn 20+ a year this game.  Groot was a game wrecker in so many ways today and, while I loved it, couldn't help but think about yet another cap hit coming up.  But seriously, he impacted so many plays and was easily the defensive MVP out there.

First, I look forward to your posts and am grateful for your efforts on our behalf.

Second, I am an Oxford comma man and Pluto will always be a planet in my house.

Third, you’ve created circumstance where the ubiquitous and clumsy “impacted” is preferred to the disappearing and capable “affected.”

Carry on.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Neo said:

First, I look forward to your posts and am grateful for your efforts on our behalf.

Second, I am an Oxford comma man and Pluto will always be a planet in my house.

Third, you’ve created circumstance where the ubiquitous and clumsy “impacted” is preferred to the disappearing and capable “affected.”

Carry on.

A certain former UK Government minister I once worked for used to say "impacted is a word for use by people who don't know whether they should use affected or effected and cop out." :D 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

A certain former UK Government minister I once worked for used to say "impacted is a word for use by people who don't know whether they should use affected or effected and cop out." :D 

Awesome!

18 hours ago, Big Turk said:

There was a ball or two that looked like it sailed on Allen from the wind, but other than that he was on point. Besides the overthrow on the TD to MVS.

Watching it in the stadium I thought MVS slowed up a bit.  That wasn’t a bad ball at all given the wind.  

17 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Re: Groot, I said last year he would be a $100M man on defense and that hasn't changed for me.  He is putting it all together and I've been high on him since he was drafted, just like I was high on Oliver.  He is going to get a MASSIVE contract and it'll be worth it.  There are a few notable posters on this board who routinely criticize Groot, Oliver and Allen - those posters are idiots.

If this keeps up Groot might be a $150m guy.  He’s young, he’s growing into his body, and his game is built on power. He’s a “first guy off the bus” body and his game is sustainable. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Watching it in the stadium I thought MVS slowed up a bit.  That wasn’t a bad ball at all given the wind.  

Watched it back on the all22. MVS doesn't slow up. If anything he trips himself a bit at the very end trying to speed up. The wind definitely affected the throw.

I want to see Josh start to hit those deep balls because it will help back defenses off and allow the Bills underneath guys (which is most of their skill players) more room to work. But I give him a bit of a pass on that one. The wind was blowing left to right for those of us watching on tv and I think it did just enough to take the ball beyond where MVS could have got to.

• Like (+1) 5

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

5 - Von Miller - While I have to give credit where it is due, as he did push the lineman into Murray at the end of the game that led to him tripping for a sack, I was concerned about his lack of impact and playing time in this game.  I don't know if Von is still being conditioned back into playing shape or if it's all part of the rotation, but AJ seemed to be taking more snaps by a bit.  I know it's not my money, but I just see millions of dollars going to waste with him on the bench.  But if this is his output level, then oh well.

Von will be playing lesser snaps all season. It may ramp up towards the end of the season but basically the Bills want Von staying healthy and save his legs for a late season playoff run

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

6 - Groot - I can't help but feel pessimistic when I write this, but I just watched this monster earn 20+ a year this game.  Groot was a game wrecker in so many ways today and, while I loved it, couldn't help but think about yet another cap hit coming up.  But seriously, he impacted so many plays and was easily the defensive MVP out there.

this is a lovely problem to have

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Watched it back on the all22. MVS doesn't slow up. If anything he trips himself a bit at the very end trying to speed up. The wind definitely affected the throw.

I want to see Josh start to hit those deep balls because it will help back defenses off and allow the Bills underneath guys (which is most of their skill players) more room to work. But I give him a bit of a pass on that one. The wind was blowing left to right for those of us watching on tv and I think it did just enough to take the ball beyond where MVS could have got to.

My eyes must have gotten there after the stumble.  I wasn’t looking downfield because neither team could throw the ball downfield with arc with the wind.  The only direction to really throw it well and accurately was the direction of the last ball to Dortch that they missed.  In the MVS ball, I still field like he lost speed as the ball neared him based on the live watch and tracking the ball downfield.  Very well could have been a stumble like you said.  

Edited by SectionC3

I like your input, Virgil. It's always nice to  see differing views and opinions. However, overall i think you are being a bit overly pessimistic. I see this game as the 1st of the season and never really expected a juggernaut out of the gate. To me there seemed to be an inevitableness to the outcome  of the game when the Bills scored just before the half and then again after. Both the offense and defense cleaned up their mistakes and began to dominate an inferior team. To me, it just seems you've picked a few negative things to comment on while ignoring the positive things. Not saying that you don't have some good insights. Just take a moment to see both good and bad. Keep up the effort though. You'll get there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Gilliam has basically ONE job that keeps him on this roster, and he whiffed.

Gilliam actually has like four jobs on the roster, which is why he is a perennial roster lock. People that dislike overinvesting in special teams should like that he's on the roster because he prevents us from having to keep even MORE special teams players.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I like your input, Virgil. It's always nice to  see differing views and opinions. However, overall i think you are being a bit overly pessimistic. I see this game as the 1st of the season and never really expected a juggernaut out of the gate. To me there seemed to be an inevitableness to the outcome  of the game when the Bills scored just before the half and then again after. Both the offense and defense cleaned up their mistakes and began to dominate an inferior team. To me, it just seems you've picked a few negative things to comment on while ignoring the positive things. Not saying that you don't have some good insights. Just take a moment to see both good and bad. Keep up the effort though. You'll get there.

You're not wrong.  And I honestly realized it as I was writing it to the point that I thought about switching up the order a bit.  But, then I realized that I was writing it in the order of how I felt during the game, which was frustrated, happier, and then finally scared 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yeah, who needs the Buffalo News or any other pay site when we have Virgil!

Right on, great time of year to visit or move to Tennessee and the Vols are looking good! Keep in touch when you get ready!

Edited by amprov56

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You're not wrong.  And I honestly realized it as I was writing it to the point that I thought about switching up the order a bit.  But, then I realized that I was writing it in the order of how I felt during the game, which was frustrated, happier, and then finally scared 

Great descrition of the highs. lows, and apprehension Virgil!

1 hour ago, Rockinon said:

I like your input, Virgil. It's always nice to  see differing views and opinions. However, overall i think you are being a bit overly pessimistic. I see this game as the 1st of the season and never really expected a juggernaut out of the gate

I usually really love your take and all too, but I can't stand points #3 and #8. Stop this "Billsy" and doom nonsense. Watch Youtube video of crushing losses, of snatching defeats from the jaws of victory. Many many teams have suffered this, but of course we emotionally connect only with our team's losses. And the other teams come to win too!

Oliver and Kincaid were indeed invisible, but one game is never any indication. Strangely, most big name TEs have had uneventful games. Kelce, Andrews, Laporta, etc.   

I too have been mostly disappointed in the Von Miller effort overall. We'll see. Not like Epenesa killed it either. Hopefully Torrence has the bad game out of his system.