A Few Thoughts about the Cardinals Game, in no particular order

Virgil

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Thank you for mentioning him.  I meant to mention that I did not like how transparent we were on some of our run plays.  Gilly needs to be used on more passing plays, if only to create some misdirection

He was only on the field for 4 plays and I think those were all on the final drive. Pretty sure he lined up wide as an HBack and blocked a guy that wasn't near the play on two of them.

I'd prefer he wasn't on the roster. I'm sorry but paying a midlling at best FB when you are in cap hell is egregious.  A fourth true TE or a big bruiser RB would be better use of the money. They routinely played an extra linemen #70 all game as an eligible TE for run heavy formations. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He was only on the field for 4 plays and I think those were all on the final drive. Pretty sure he lined up wide as an HBack and blocked a guy that wasn't near the play on two of them.

I'd prefer he wasn't on the roster. I'm sorry but paying a midlling at best FB when you are in cap hell is egregious.  A fourth true TE or a big bruiser RB would be better use of the money. They routinely played an extra linemen #70 all game as an eligible TE for run heavy formations. 

Are the snap counts released yet?  I'm actually really looking forward to seeing it.  On the second Josh TD run, they showed the sideline reactions and many starters were on the sideline.  I also really want to see the D-Line snaps

9 minutes ago, Success said:

I heard that from a few others yesterday too.

It's half accurate.  We have as good a running game as we've had in the JA era, and a lot of guys were involved in the offense yesterday.  But when a big play needed to be made, it was generally Josh being superman.  

Half his rushing TDs,,, he can probably throw them in, and maybe he will in the later half of his career.  The guy just lives for making some plays w his legs and several are so spectacular that you think he's running 15 times a game.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You always tell us these thoughts are in no particular order...and then you number them which places them in a VERY particular order. 

Madness. 

But great job as usual. A few things tho...

I believe we should have an update on TJ in a few hours after McD speaks to media. 

The DL rotation was pretty unrealized yesterday. Look at the snap counts for Oliver, Groot ect and you'll see our starting DL played a rather high percentage. They have really moved away from the rotation over the last couple years. 

Kincaid was likely the #1 focus of the Cards defense yesterday. With no target monster (Diggs) it allows defenders to focus on him. Shakir and Coleman benefit. In a few weeks when teams say "hey we need to stop these WRs", Kincaid will eat plenty.

Blame @Bill from NYC

• Haha (+1) 3

Im gonna go against the grain here. Allen had a great game as usual. 

but. He’s still too “up and down.” We need more up and no play. I don’t want him running throwing his body around this much. We and He need to be able to  execute goaline O better as a passer. Hes already hurt. 

And it’s still a trend. We seem to have a late drive in the 4th q to ENd the game on O (chiefs playoffs, eagles , @pats , ect)  And instead we’re leaving it up to special teams kicker) and our D. I don’t want bass and our McD and defense involved AT All At the end of games. I have had enough of that movie. Not particularly on josh (thot a lot of play calls were conservative and garbage )- here other than he dirted an easy 3rd throw to Ty for a potential first down. 

Just need more CLeAN games from him. On the fumble. Just dirt at Samuel feet if he’s that worried about the “robber”

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

My mistake #22, the rookie rb Davis, not Benford.

Davis looked really good with the ball in his hands though.  He is quick.  I really liked him as a compliment to cook.  I can see us put up some big rushing numbers if we get ahead in games and need to run some clock

• Agree 1

Hoping Brady utilizes more play action in the running game, pitches, sweeps and screens. If the Bills truly spread the ball around, their offense will be difficult to stop and mitigate the added burden on Josh.

As far as DL rotation, Toohill doesn’t look like he belongs on the roster. Good to see Von contributing and looks like he’s trusting his knees more. 

If the lightbulb has come on for Groot, I’m more than happy to extend him. Now he needs to show it consistently and become a pure game changer. Our cap situation is much better next year and it’s good to hit on the players you drafted. 

I’m most concerned/nervous about our Safeties. Hoping Edwards and Bishop are on the field soon. 

I’m hopeful Dorian Williams gets more comfortable with more game experience.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

One other thing that bothers me about Brady:  Every time we have second and short, he calls a running play to try to pick up the first down instead of dialing up play action or some other throw down the field, as if he's terrified of facing a third and one.  It makes zero sense, especially when you have Josh Allen, who can covert third and short (or fourth and short, for that matter) in his sleep.    

I think this is a fair criticism. I don't have facts to back up your point, but it did feel like Brady passed up some kill shot opportunities. 

With two very good TEs we should be seeing 10-12 play action passes a game and killing them in the deep middle. 

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Cowherd just said the Bills are too Josh Allen-centric again.  He knows Allen is great but asks where's his help?  I guess he doesn't watch Cook, Knox, Shakir, Keon, Hollins, Kincaid, Samuel, etc...

That will always be the talking point. Guess what? That’s Josh Allen’s game. Allen is a multidimensional weapon.

I imagine someday he will get hurt and miss some time. It happens to all QB’s but the narrative will be, “see, I told you he would get hurt!” Whatever. 

If other QB’s had the ability Allen had they’d be doing the same things…..but they don’t.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TFBillsfan said:

Hoping Brady utilizes more play action in the running game, pitches, sweeps and screens. If the Bills truly spread the ball around, their offense will be difficult to stop and mitigate the added burden on Josh.

As far as DL rotation, Toohill doesn’t look like he belongs on the roster. Good to see Von contributing and looks like he’s trusting his knees more. 

If the lightbulb has come on for Groot, I’m more than happy to extend him. Now he needs to show it consistently and become a pure game changer. Our cap situation is much better next year and it’s good to hit on the players you drafted. 

I’m most concerned/nervous about our Safeties. Hoping Edwards and Bishop are on the field soon. 

I’m hopeful Dorian Williams gets more comfortable with more game experience.

Next week will be a great test for our safeties.  Win or lose, if we don't give up a deep ball because Hamlin was out of position, I'll take that as a win

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Source?  Not that I don't believe you, just that I would like to read more about that

Sorry, technically not win rate, but one of the highest pass rush to pressure stats in the league.

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Cowherd just said the Bills are too Josh Allen-centric again.  He knows Allen is great but asks where's his help?  I guess he doesn't watch Cook, Knox, Shakir, Keon, Hollins, Kincaid, Samuel, etc...

At the same time, if Allen had Mahomes or Jackson's or Purdy's or Hurts or Goff's surrounding cast, we probably win the Super Bowl last year.....

Edited by ProcessImproverMan

23 minutes ago, Success said:

Groot has to be a Bill for the long-term. It will hurt cap-wise, but he is so disruptive.

It won't hurt as much when we get off the Von contract.  We need another stud pass rusher to replace AJE.  I've always hated the DL rotation. Play your best 4 DLine 60% of the game. Josh should finally get his mvp if he can reduce the ints.  The D & ST still need work.  Don't panic about Kincaid,  he'll eventually eat.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Virgil said:

5 - Von Miller - While I have to give credit where it is due, as he did push the lineman into Murray at the end of the game that led to him tripping for a sack, I was concerned about his lack of impact and playing time in this game.  I don't know if Von is still being conditioned back into playing shape or if it's all part of the rotation, but AJ seemed to be taking more snaps by a bit.  I know it's not my money, but I just see millions of dollars going to waste with him on the bench.  But if this is his output level, then oh well.

According to this, Miller finished in the top for opening day games with 5 pressures. More than Rousseau, actually: 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks Virgil!  Always a enjoyable read.

5-  Von Miller-  when we paid Von Miller- we weren’t paying a 35 year old coming off his 2nd torn acl.  We were lucky that he took a pay cut for the sake of the team.  The dead cap in cutting him would’ve been much more than his salary. Keeping him at a reduced rate was the best choice.  

I’d never play him over 50% of the snaps, until the playoffs.  

I thought he looked pretty good out there.  I saw at least 3 pressures and that’s without really keeping an eye on him.  He smoked his guy on the final 4th down-  Murray got rid of it quickly- throwing a jump ball to a 5’7 WR.  

40 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agree. That is such a lazy take. Yes one guy didn't go off for 125 yards but Allen and Brady spread the ball all over.

I've heard a number of commentators with similar takes.  "The offense seemed out of sync" "needed Josh Allen to put on his cape," etc. etc.  Yes, Josh made some great throws and runs, but not only did we only have 3 points with two minutes in the half (because we never had the ball) as Virgil pointed out, but Josh only threw the ball 23 times.  Think about that production.  23 throws and about 40 yards rushing (a lot for a QB but we have certainly seen more from Josh) and score 34 points.  If Josh doesn't feel the need to hurdle and land on his own hand this is actually a good recipe to preserve a QB and NOT over use him.