A Few Thoughts about the Cardinals Game, in no particular order

Virgil

The Bills allow under 200 yards passing in about half of the games over the past 4 years...there seems to be a consistent disconnect between how well the defense is compared to league average...I don't know if it's because we see a play for like 20 yards and then are like "oh crap! He shouldn't have let that happen!" and then remember that more than the other 3 and 4 yard catches they allow, but it seems to happen a LOT.

But for the Bills, 200 yards passing allowed is almost like their standard.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Allen averaged 10 yards per passing attempt yesterday and the Bills had 14 plays that gained more than 10 yards.  McDermott/Brady kept the Cards in the game with "play not to lose" football on the last couple of possessions.  It was as if they thought Tyrod Taylor was still their quarterback.  

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Thanks Virgil, you do a great job on this.

One comment, you mentioned he threw it at someone feet, when I saw that particular play i think he was more or less just throwing it away,  He he very very few balls which were simply poorly thrown.

Totally agree on the J Allen MVP, I though he played an extraordinary game, especially in the second half when he, more or less, appeared to not be denied a victory, especially with those TD runs and a few key first down runs.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

2 - The damn rotation - Let's get my first potential fact check gone wrong out of the way now.  Is it me, or on the first two Cardinal touchdowns occur when we had 3 out of 4 backups playing on the defensive line?  I understand that the Cards had long drives and our guys were getting tired, but c'mon McD/Babich, we can't commit to the rotation THAT much.  One of my biggest concerns about our team going into this year is the lack of depth at key defensive positions and I felt like that showed up in moments today.  However, when the game was on the line, it looks like our main guys were in and you could see a difference.  

Well Virgil, that one one pessimistic reading overall. I like these but this one feels weird to me.

EDIT: Just to clarify, for example your comment re Groot is really strange. Guy gets 3 sacks and your main idea is that it is a bad thing since now we have to pay him? I dunno man

Anyway, as for the rotation, here are the snap counts. I wouldn't call this "damn rotation" :)

Oliver 50, Jones 45, Johnson 13, Carter 7

Rousseau 48, Epenesa 38, Miller 29, Toohill 11

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Allen averaged 10 yards per passing attempt yesterday and the Bills had 14 plays that gained more than 10 yards.  McDermott/Brady kept the Cards in the game with "play not to lose" football on the last couple of possessions.  It was as if they thought Tyrod Taylor was still their quarterback.  

To be fair to Brady Allen threw a bad ball to Johnson on 3rd down. 

The QB run on 3rd down on the last drive was weak though. Bills have two very good TEs surely you could scheme one of them open for a 4yd curl

• Like (+1) 1

Cowherd just said the Bills are too Josh Allen-centric again.  He knows Allen is great but asks where's his help?  I guess he doesn't watch Cook, Knox, Shakir, Keon, Hollins, Kincaid, Samuel, etc...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Bills allow under 200 yards passing in about half of the games over the past 4 years...there seems to be a consistent disconnect between how well the defense is compared to league average...I don't know if it's because we see a play for like 20 yards and then are like "oh crap! He shouldn't have let that happen!" and then remember that more than the other 3 and 4 yard catches they allow, but it seems to happen a LOT.

But for the Bills, 200 yards passing allowed is almost like their standard.

Agreed.  The stat line for the Cards at the end of the game did not reflect what I thought I was watching.  It was strange

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, zow2 said:

Cowherd just said the Bills are too Josh Allen-centric again.  He knows Allen is great but asks where's his help?  I guess he doesn't watch Cook, Knox, Shakir, Keon, Hollins, Kincaid, Samuel, etc...

Agree. That is such a lazy take. Yes one guy didn't go off for 125 yards but Allen and Brady spread the ball all over.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

One comment, you mentioned he threw it at someone feet, when I saw that particular play i think he was more or less just throwing it away,  He he very very few balls which were simply poorly thrown.

Totally agree on the J Allen MVP, I though he played an extraordinary game, especially in the second half when he, more or less, appeared to not be denied a victory, especially with those TD runs and a few key first down runs.

I'll have to watch the play again.  I thought both Josh and the receiver had time and it was just a poor throw.  I think I remember Josh reacting after the throw as if he messed up as well.  I really don't remember much beyond that

6 minutes ago, Success said:

Groot has to be a Bill for the long-term. It will hurt cap-wise, but he is so disruptive.

Oh, we absolutely have to bring him back, I just feel like with Josh getting a new deal as well, our days of making a FA splash might be gone for a while.  

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Kaiir Elam missed the tackle on KO return. IJS

Didn't he bounce of the returned as he collided with one of our own?  I only saw the replay once

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

To be fair to Brady Allen threw a bad ball to Johnson on 3rd down. 

The QB run on 3rd down on the last drive was weak though. Bills have two very good TEs surely you could scheme one of them open for a 4yd curl

The Cardinals were selling out to stop the run the last two possessions of the fourth quarter...a play action call or two would have absolutely killed them.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Completely lazy take by him.  The run/pass balance was strong and we don't utilize a number one.  I think Shakir, Cook, and Coleman all had solid moments

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

There was a ball or two that looked like it sailed on Allen from the wind, but other than that he was on point. Besides the overthrow on the TD to MVS.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the write up once again. I always enjoy hearing what other intelligent fans saw/felt about the game!

Von Miller: I was not impressed again. For the $$ invested his performance is now elevated to JAG. I was hoping to see less of him as the game went on.

too many times he was pushed upfield beyond the QB or RB and the Cards just ran right where he was supposed to be.

Kincaid: I agree too quiet of a day from him.

the Oline: too many penalties! but I thought performance wise they looked good - albeit against a bad defense. 

Defense: Groot is the new star on D. Overall mediocre. Second half they prevented scoring but felt typical bend don’t break because our players are mostly mediocre… this may be good enough if the offense ramps up.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1