Harris / Trump Debate.

Harris looked like a prosecutor. Trump was too reactionary. the general consensus is she won. that said, i don't think the debate will make much of a difference in polls.

BUT i do think it may affect voter turnout ie people who wanted to see if Harris could "take Trump down" got to see exactly that and may reward her with a vote. if Harris had sh*t the bed, more people stay home.

of course, only time will tell. maybe debates don't mean anything anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Conventional wisdom doesn’t matter with Trump.  It’s insane.  

We watch a debate, think he lost.  

Nobody cares.  Focus groups show people leaning more to him now after that. 

His clips dominate social media.  

The viral Gen Z TikTok trend right now is people dancing to an EDM edit of “they’re eating the cats” and making jokes about Haitian migrants in Springfield.  

• Agree 1

The Democrats built their party around click-bait headlines and tik tok clips; hoping that no one does the research.

Now, the headlines are saying "they're eating cats," and it's the left that's begging people to do their research, only for people to find the Dems have been lying about everything.

😆

• Haha (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We’re two days out.  There’s a Trafalgar poll showing no movement post-debate but I highly doubt you care about that one ha. 

All we know so far if that general consensus amongst commentators is that she won.  I agree. 

Focus groups don’t show that translating to winning them over.   Some focus groups have 6/10 undecided now Harris and some have 6/10 undecided now Trump. 

We do know from those focus groups that a big issue is that they still don’t know who she is or where she stands on the issues. 

And we know the Harris camp wants another debate, whereas the Trump camp does not.  I certainly thought it would be the other way around after Tuesday Night.  

And we know from reporting that Harris advisers have privately told her she needs to establish herself more on the big issues, namely the economy and border, where undecided still, post-debate, trust Trump more.  Which lines us with public focus groups.. and we know both campaigns also have private focus groups as well.  

Maybe polling comes out next week and the debate made a difference.  Maybe not.  We don’t know yet.  All we can do is read the current tea leaves.  

Or mostly debates don’t have any effect.

so talking about her “great” performance or his “terrible” performance don’t really matter to anyone but pundits and broadcasters.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

Or mostly debates don’t have any effect.

so talking about her “great” performance or his “terrible” performance don’t really matter to anyone but pundits and broadcasters.

Agreed.   It’s basically a football game for people who care about politics.  

You root for Kamala.  I root for Trump.  

We both watched the debate.  Trump kept fumbling and missing opportunities to score.   Harris didn’t do much, but was able to capitalize on Trump’s mistakes and home field advantage. 

Kamala wins. 

Nothing changes.  We all move on. 

We’re far too polarized of a society for these debates to mean a ton anymore.

The only people who matter are the sliver of undecideds in seven states.  That’s it.  The rest of us.. it’s just about getting us excited about our team. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

new survey

https://jewishdems.org/jdca-polling-home-page/current-jewish-electorate-research/

ago

GBAO Strategies / Jewish Democratic Council of America (D) - Poll of Jewish Voters

800 RV | 8/27-9/1 | MOE: 3.5%

🔵 Harris: 72% (+47)

🔴 Trump: 25%

In April, they had Biden 67-26 among Jewish voters.

Netanyahu Favorability

🔵 Favorable: 30% (-33)

🔴 Unfavorable: 63%

92% believe someone can be both pro-Israel and critical of the Israeli government.

87% support Biden and Harris’s efforts towards a ceasefire and hostage release.

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Conventional wisdom doesn’t matter with Trump.  It’s insane.  

We watch a debate, think he lost.  

Nobody cares.  Focus groups show people leaning more to him now after that. 

His clips dominate social media.  

The viral Gen Z TikTok trend right now is people dancing to an EDM edit of “they’re eating the cats” and making jokes about Haitian migrants in Springfield.  

You keep saying the focus groups are turning towards Trump. Every focus group I saw has overwhelmingly started gone Harris.

Edited by Backintheday544
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We both watched the debate.  Trump kept fumbling and missing opportunities to score.   Harris didn’t do much, but was able to capitalize on Trump’s mistakes and home field advantage. 

Kamala wins. 

The only people who matter are the sliver of undecideds in seven states.  That’s it.  The rest of us.. it’s just about getting us excited about our team. 

More reasonable. 

that said if we want to get past this polarization we as a nation need to stop giving Trump oxygen. Vote in Kamala and start over in 4 years with a reasonable republican candidate. It’s a win win for the country.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Backintheday544 said:

Says the guy who loves the Republican leaning polls.

Lmao.  Actual polls.  Not self reporting to a PAC.  You even know or care who owns the propaganda you are peddling?  Bain Capital?  

https://www.opensecrets.org/political-action-committees-pacs/jewish-democratic-council-of-america/C00684969/donors/2024

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Aw.  it doesn't grasp a scientific poll vs a self-reporting. or the fact its source is just a Tax shelter for some shady billionaires.

Like a lot of topics.  the most ignorant tend to be experts and scream talking points but lack knowledge of the topic beyond the headline.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Kamala wins. 

I always said that Trump is just for entertainment. 

No one cared this much about politics before. No one will again. Unless...

What other celebrity can we dig up to amuse the masses?

58 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I always said that Trump is just for entertainment. 

That's at the core of it.

It was boring. 2016. Debates would have featured Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio arguing about who is just slightly more anti-abortion or slightly more in favor of school choice. And along comes Trump, saying outrageous things, insulting his opponent, etc. It made politics interesting.

The act is getting tired.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

The Democrats built their party around click-bait headlines and tik tok clips; hoping that no one does the research.

Now, the headlines are saying "they're eating cats," and it's the left that's begging people to do their research, only for people to find the Dems have been lying about everything.

😆

Prove to us that Haitians are eating cats in Springfield, Ohio. If you cannot, I’ll simply assume you submitted to the racist right wing propaganda like all the others.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Kamala wins. 

The first debate knocked the presumptive Democratic candidate off the ticket.  Saying "debates don't matter" is rather dubious.

13 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Which is kind making fun of how stupid Trump sounds.

Eh.. you underestimate how much he resonates with a certain segment of young people. 

We’re a Kamala Harris Presidency away from young people potentially driving the far right movement like we’re seeing in Nordic countries. (If she continues the economic & border policies that we’ve had for 3 years). 

Keep your eyes on fraternities and sororities around the country… they no longer care about being openly known conservative. 

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

What did she say to win over undecided voters?

That seems to be the growing question coming out of the debate as focus groups don’t seem to match general consensus that she won the debate, therefore she won over voters.  

Everyone knows who, and what, Trump is.  Trump fighting with Kamala and both moderators all night, going off about very online stories of Haitians eating pets and talking about mafia tactics against the Taliban is who he is. 

Optics-wise, Kamala controlled the debate, but what she didn’t do was tell anyone who she is and/or what she stands for.  Trump doesn’t need to do that, we all know.  She does.  And she didn’t. 

Also, the moderators were way too over the top and due to that, we’re now seeing a Streisand Effect where research on the Haitian pet stories, research on late term abortion etc are skyrocketing in google searches and social media shares.  

Trump’s clips are the ones being shared on IG, X and TikTok.   Kamala had a polished, corporate speak night, which seems to be fading into obscurity.  

Nobody remembers anything about her night, because she said nothing. 

My snap reaction was that Trump was a disaster.. but that doesn’t seem to be reflected anywhere outside the political class, in real America. 

Nothing.  Everyone knows she's been part of the Biden-Harris Administration for 3-1/2 years now and owns their failures.  And she said nothing about what she is  going to do to rectify things and how she is "not Joe Biden."  They also didn't hear what she will do in the next 4 months that she's (still) in power and the de facto President to alleviate people's suffering right now.

And she looked/acted like Trump with her silly facial expressions and that head on her hand move.   I guess that was her plan after having mics turned on didn't work.