Listening to the Extra Point Show on WGR---how do callers get worse every year?

Big Turk

12 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

oh...little different. Believe he was the host of the weekend HS sports show on WGR as his first crack at WGR. rose from there (and his online show I guess).

Back when there was a thing called Ustream, he did a weekly Bills show from his basement. Even took calls. He'd get a couple hundred people watching, then more on demand. He was teaching and coaching high school down near Englewood. Took those videos and showed them to WGR program director Alan Roth at WGR. They offered part time, and God bless his wife for going along, they moved to Buffalo for nothing more than part time. fill-in work. The guy just kept grinding to get where he is. It's pretty inspiring to me actually having worked in media. Sometimes you can set a life goal and achieve it.

https://cusecommunity.syr.edu/s/1632/17/interior.aspx?sid=1632&gid=2&pgid=4007&cid=7469&ecid=7469&crid=0&calpgid=2223&calcid=4492

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's mind numbing listening to some of these callers. There always have been bad callers that harp on nonsensical stuff or are so far off base from reality that it boggles the mind...but there seem to be more and more of them every passing year and less and less good calls with solid talking points...

What are we doing here people? What is happening to general football IQ in this area?  It seems to be heading down a dumpster slide faster and faster with every passing year.

Yikes...I had to turn it off...can't even listen to anymore of this.

does that give you you’re answer my friend Turk.  I can tell you more times than not on Movin the Chains the callers seem a little more well informed on their teams.

32 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

you're joking me.....he was a caller? god that explains a lot.

That's how long time WFAN host and Jest fan Joe Benigno got his start. He used to call into the station as 'Joe from Saddle River'. He retired to Florida to golf but still makes cameos with douchey Evan Roberts & Tiki Barber.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Back when there was a thing called Ustream, he did a weekly Bills show from his basement. Even took calls. He'd get a couple hundred people watching, then more on demand. He was teaching and coaching high school down near Englewood. Took those videos and showed them to WGR program director Alan Roth at WGR. They offered part time, and God bless his wife for going along, they moved to Buffalo for nothing more than part time. fill-in work. The guy just kept grinding to get where he is. It's pretty inspiring to me actually having worked in media. Sometimes you can set a life goal and achieve it.

https://cusecommunity.syr.edu/s/1632/17/interior.aspx?sid=1632&gid=2&pgid=4007&cid=7469&ecid=7469&crid=0&calpgid=2223&calcid=4492

If I remember correctly didnt he win a contest on the station to be a part time host for a year?    Then after the year they brought him on full time?  

I feel like I remember listening to that a long ways back. 

Edited by thenorthremembers

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

If I remember correctly didnt he win a contest on the station to be a part time host for a year?    Then after the year they brought him on full time?  

I feel like I remember listening to that a long ways back. 

I don't know every detail of Sal's career, but I don't think he won a contest. He had hours of video of his web show and reached out to Alan Roth who gave him a part-time shot WGR. I'm not even sure he's an employee of WGR anymore. I think he works for the Bills and might do WGR as a contractor. I think he also has his own media production company on the side doing high school games and such.

The more popular a team gets the more it brings in the casual fans. They team stays successful and gains even more popularity, and even MORE fans who never followed football want to join the party.

I lived in Boston from the late 1990's through the middle-late 2000s and I saw this there. Listen to WEEI and the Pats talk (when they were bad or average) had some good callers and bad callers, but overall more good than bad. As the Pats got better, more and more of the bandwagon fans started to participate, and, nothing against more people becoming fans, but, those bandwagon fans weren't exactly that schooled in the sport...hence you got a lot of bad callers.

I see this here with the Bills the past 5 years.  I see it on this very FORUM over the last 5 years.

I don't think its more complicated than that.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

What do you expect considering the state of our society as a whole?  

Yup, think about the median IQ, and then remember that half the population is below that number…, and they are allowed to vote…, 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know every detail of Sal's career, but I don't think he won a contest. He had hours of video of his web show and reached out to Alan Roth who gave him a part-time shot WGR. I'm not even sure he's an employee of WGR anymore. I think he works for the Bills and might do WGR as a contractor. I think he also has his own media production company on the side doing high school games and such.

Dude put in the work on his own and moved to Buffalo for part time work at WGR from Florida. He earned every opportunity he got.

Edited by Big Turk

2 hours ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

I never ever listen to sports radio and have no idea why I clicked on this, but it's absolutely priceless.

It might be one of the funniest things ever posted in this forum and it's totally worth your 45 seconds :lol: 

The callers (otherwise known as sheep) take their cue from the hosts and the roster of hosts is the worst it’s ever been.       

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Dude put in the work on his own and moved to Buffalo for part time work at WGR from Florida. He earned every opportunity he got.

He is actually the best they have, although that is not a ringing endorsement.  

I listened to some of the show.  Callers can be dumb, but Sal seemed to have extremely thin skin and low patience, and unnecessarily confrontational.

It made for bad, uncomfortable radio and I turned it off.

It feels like as years go by, Sal feels like he is on a higher pedestal than he is.