Why the personal foul on Kyler Murray Slide happened.

47 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

In the era of instant (and I mean INSTANT) replays that seems like a poor excuse for the officiating staff. 

The refs were awful, both teams have a lot to complain about. 

what exactly does instant replay have to do with it? Unless there’s a rule change I’m not aware of this Isn’t a reviewable play. 

how is instant replay supposed to help the officials on the field when they can’t use it?

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, you're not wrong, but I thought we got some "make up" non-calls as well

The difference is what I would call the danger of penalizing a virtuous cycle.  The other calls you mention broke both ways (on the play before the Allen fumble there was a clear hands to the face by Cards DT on a Bills O lineman that was not called) and involved the usual subjective issue with calling late hits on the QB, holding & PI.

What makes the screw up on the Murray "hit" different is that the NFL has elevated this to a special status as a way to prevent injury.  College & High School football have done the same.  This is the one penalty they have to get right or as others have noted you might as well nail the guy. College football employs a replay for this one penalty and the NFL should also.

As I said anytime you get away from rewarding (no call) virtuous behavior and penalize it instead you introduce a rot to whatever system you're trying to run.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

what exactly does instant replay have to do with it? Unless there’s a rule change I’m not aware of this Isn’t a reviewable play. 

how is instant replay supposed to help the officials on the field when they can’t use it?

I'm guessing you're being obtuse, but I'm clamoring for the NFL to use instant replay/sky judges in these instances to quickly overturn obviously wrong calls. 

There were definitely some crappy calls and non-calls. 

But one positive from yesterday’s officiating is that they let the receivers/DBs get physical - almost like playoff football. 

If they were flag happy with contested balls, Bills would have lost the game. 

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm guessing you're being obtuse, but I'm clamoring for the NFL to use instant replay/sky judges in these instances to quickly overturn obviously wrong calls. 

that would be a nice rule change. I’m simply pointing out that the officials on the field do not have that luxury.

so not having an instant replay is in fact an excuse for those officials on the field for bang bang plays like this.

I fear that, if they haven’t already, teams/QBs will be perfecting the ‘instant slide’ in desperation situations in an attempt to get a gift 15 yards and first down. 
IMO, the rule needs to be revised to give officials some leeway if they believe the defender’s momentum was already going towards the QB before the QB committed to the slide, and the defender made an effort  to avoid direct contact. 
Also, it should be a reviewable call. 

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think it was a different one. There is no face guarding in the NFL. Rapp made no contact with the WR when it him him in the back. If the WR turned and came back to the ball it would have been an easy PI call.

See I thought he ran into him maybe it was just the receiver momentum... either way I am glad it was a no call. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

that would be a nice rule change. I’m simply pointing out that the officials on the field do not have that luxury.

so not having an instant replay is in fact an excuse for those officials on the field for bang bang plays like this.

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

What made that call so bad is that in the future coaching clinics are going to use it to show how DB's should react to a last minute slide by a QB.  Even though Ingram had very little warning he used great athleticism to avoid hitting Murray.  That call needed to be overturned by NY in the moment.  Instead the gross incompetents penalized a player for doing the right thing. 

Tbh Ingram put himself at risk. It looked like he fell awkwardly trying to avoid the hit while at the same time Murray went into his knee. Glad he didn’t get hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

It's possible, but OTOH the refs used to let teams beat the crap out of Cam Newton (another big strong QB) regularly as well. 🤷‍♂️

This.  When you got a guy who will stiff-arm onrushing defenders and turn into a runner (then hurdle defenders), the refs keep their laundry to themselves.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It would've taken 10 seconds for a booth review to call down and reverse the call.  The shield has the technology,  they're just too lazy to implement it.  

Yes, it's pitiful they haven't addressed some of these things.  You're correct - literally 10 seconds and someone in the booth could be telling the ref there was no penalty to be assessed against the Bills on that play.  10 seconds that cost the Bills four points.  

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

This.  When you got a guy who will stiff-arm onrushing defenders and turn into a runner (then hurdle defenders), the refs keep their laundry to themselves.

But I think sometimes they go too far the other way. No matter how big and strong you are, getting smacked in the head is still bad, and having a 300lb guy drop his full weight onto your legs/ankles is still bad.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don't dispute this, but if the big guy gives himself up, he should be afforded the same protections as any other sliding QB.

6 hours ago, JP51 said:

See I thought he ran into him maybe it was just the receiver momentum... either way I am glad it was a no call. 

He may have made contact but I'm not sure it was before the ball hit him, and if it was, whether it significantly hindered his ability to catch the ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

In the era of instant (and I mean INSTANT) replays that seems like a poor excuse for the officiating staff. 

The refs were awful, both teams have a lot to complain about. 

You're not wrong at all.  The thing that most NFL fans hate more than bad calls is reviews though.  Every fans sees the review over and over in slow-mo as soon as the play is over.  If they don't see the review, they can just go by what they think they saw giving them plausible deniability.  It would be good if they could review these types of things but would be bad for the game.

I'm sure they will watch the film afterwards and realize they were wrong but nothing official will every be stated about it.  Just a "teaching experience" for the refs.

9 hours ago, JP51 said:

There was a lot of questionable calls and non calls... at the end I have seen the PI and holding called on two of those plays on their final drive pretty routinely. I think they were good no calls... but I am just sayin if that was us I would be screaming LOL... 

that is us literally all the time against the chiefs lol also players know they’re gettin away with some grabs throughout the game and continue doing it, you can’t just pull the rug out from under them and start calling it on the final drive.. it’s not really ‘luck’ that it wasn’t called like some are saying

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

The forward fall (dive) like Allen does sometimes and Jayden Daniels did a bunch yesterday (and Purdy just now) seems safer to me.  I mean if you baseball slide a hair late you are so vulnerable to getting a shoulder right into your head and banging it off the turf.  I’ll never forget that Flacco hit i thought he was killed.