Why the personal foul on Kyler Murray Slide happened.

Did we touch him? Nope. But I knew the second he slid it was a flag. Why?  Go back and look at the play, as soon as he hits his back his head bounces off the turf.  He did it to himself, but the timing of it made it look like  Ja'Marcus Ingram hit him.  

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

In the era of instant (and I mean INSTANT) replays that seems like a poor excuse for the officiating staff. 

The refs were awful, both teams have a lot to complain about. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 20
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, Bruffalo said:

In the era of instant (and I mean INSTANT) replays that seems like a poor excuse for the officiating staff. 

There was a lot of questionable calls and non calls... at the end I have seen the PI and holding called on two of those plays on their final drive pretty routinely. I think they were good no calls... but I am just sayin if that was us I would be screaming LOL... 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

It would've taken 10 seconds for a booth review to call down and reverse the call.  The shield has the technology,  they're just too lazy to implement it.  

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, JP51 said:

There was a lot of questionable calls and non calls... at the end I have seen the PI and holding called on two of those plays on their final drive pretty routinely. I think they were good no calls... but I am just sayin if that was us I would be screaming LOL... 

The Taylor Rapp play where he plowed into the receiver on a back shoulder throw (3rd quarter, near midfield) was clearly PI that wasn't called.

• Like (+1) 2

What made that call so bad is that in the future coaching clinics are going to use it to show how DB's should react to a last minute slide by a QB.  Even though Ingram had very little warning he used great athleticism to avoid hitting Murray.  That call needed to be overturned by NY in the moment.  Instead the gross incompetents penalized a player for doing the right thing. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The Taylor Rapp play where he plowed into the receiver on a back shoulder throw (3rd quarter, near midfield) was clearly PI that wasn't called.

That too the one that actually hit him on the backside right?

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Whatever happened to the calls from eye in sky telling zebras to not flag it?   They seemed to do that during preseason games and it worked out.

• Agree 1

Only argument that could possibly be made is that Ingram’s knee made contact to Kyler’s ribs. But even that is an extremely weak call. When in doubt refs should keep the flag in their pocket. And only call things near the near the play. It's better for the game. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I’ve seen that called, but I think that was a good no call.  The ball was way under-thrown and the receiver just stopped running and was never going to catch it.  On the other hand, Rapp never turned around to look for the ball…

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Whatever happened to the calls from eye in sky telling zebras to not flag it?   They seemed to do that during preseason games and it worked out.

Something something betting lines. 

35 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

What made that call so bad is that in the future coaching clinics are going to use it to show how DB's should react to a last minute slide by a QB.  Even though Ingram had very little warning he used great athleticism to avoid hitting Murray.  That call needed to be overturned by NY in the moment.  Instead the gross incompetents penalized a player for doing the right thing. 

I mean, you're not wrong, but I thought we got some "make up" non-calls as well

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I mean… if they’re going to penalize even when a dude avoids hitting the QB like this — which the league has *said* they want to do — then you may as well really lay into him.

A sky booth ref with replay access should have the ability to overturn terrible calls like this. They were doing that last year but this went unchecked. 

Seems like they allow so many hits on Josh go unpunished but if we breathe on the other teams’ QB, we get the yellow. TBH I think this goes back to Jerry Hughes; the refs union hated JH with a passion and they’re still holding the grudge on McD for supporting him.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Seems like they allow so many hits on Josh go unpunished but if we breathe on the other teams’ QB, we get the yellow. TBH I think this goes back to Jerry Hughes; the refs union hated JH with a passion and they’re still holding the grudge on McD for supporting him.

It's possible, but OTOH the refs used to let teams beat the crap out of Cam Newton (another big strong QB) regularly as well. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Jon in Pasadena
  • Agree 1

Yeah I am in the "replay" crowd. When a defensive player doesn't even make contact (besides incidental leg-on-leg) you can't call that. You just can't. It makes the league feel fixed.

I'm not "mad" at the overall game and it doesn't seem fixed in this case because there were so many bad calls both ways

New season, same convo. Refs are so, so bad and there is no sign of it getting any better.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’ve seen that called, but I think that was a good no call.  The ball was way under-thrown and the receiver just stopped running and was never going to catch it.  On the other hand, Rapp never turned around to look for the ball…

Don't get me wrong - I hate the rule. But it usually does get called.