Bad Ref call thread ( for season)

djp14150

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just be grateful they didn't throw a PI flag on the last AZ play. It wasn't but that roughing call earlier wasn't real either.

I agree with this.  I was at the game and the phantom roughing the passer call was right in front of us.  It was obvious that the defender did not contact Murray and in fact, made every effort to avoid hitting the QB, and successfully avoided contact.  That was a huge call that massively shifted the momentum in the game.

I agree that there we some other calls that favored the Bills, but none that had such a major impact on the game.  A borderline penalty on 1st or 2nd down just doesn't have the same impact as one on 3rd or 4th down after the defense has made a drive-ending stop, but the offense is given a free first down (which then lead to a TD).

I agree that the the roughing the passer against Arizona that was NOT called was not roughing the passer and should not have been called EXCEPT THAT because they called the first one against the Bills, in order to call the game fairly and consistently, it should have been called.

Further, the roughing the passer against Arizona that they DID call was not roughing the passer and should not have been called.

Finally, based on where I was sitting, I did not have a clear view of the final play, but we've all seen plays less close than that one called as DPI and the Bills were very fortunate that the flag did not come out (whether or not it was DPI).  Based on what I was able to see from replays, it was not DPI, but close enough that an official in real time might have decided to throw the flag.

There was one other pass defended against McBride where the defender made a clean play (no contact with the WR), but never turned his heard around.  I thought that could have been called DPI and was not, so that one favored the Bills too.  I always struggle with those calls where the player doesn't turn their head around or make any type of play on the ball (basically, they are right on top of the receiver, get in between the receiver and the ball, don't make any significant contact with the receiver, it hits them in the back and goes incomplete), is that pass interference?  I feel like it's subjective and is called both ways.

Every other call was at least open to debate.

The one that cost bettors 4 points is egregious. 

I am serious. That game should be null & void at legal betting channels. Refund all bets. NO reason why NY can't call down to field and call the penalty off 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

I accepted the bad calls that went against the Bills in exchange for the non calls late in the game. You could argue PI on a few plays in AZ final drive that they could argue cost them the game. 

Wrong. The others are debatable. 

Apples and oranges.

Are we then acknowledging the game isn't on the square?

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Every other call was at least open to debate.

The one that cost bettors 4 points is egregious. 

I am serious. That game should be null & void at legal betting channels. Refund all bets. NO reason why NY can't call down to field and call the penalty off 

Wrong. The others are debatable. 

Apples and oranges.

Are we then acknowledging the game isn't on the square?

They are all debatable. These calls were all judgement calls. We are not talking about knowing the guy stepped out of bounds or that the ball hit the ground. A roughing call is open for interpretation. Saying he avoided hitting the qb is no different than saying the DB did touch the WR. Those are not apples vs oranges. Its applying the rules as written. You could argue a pass interference call is actually less debatable because you can see the defender making contact before the ball is there, where a roughing call involves some degree of intent and guesswork of did he try to avoid or not. . 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

They are all debatable. These calls were all judgement calls. We are not talking about knowing the guy stepped out of bounds or that the ball hit the ground. A roughing call is open for interpretation. Saying he avoided hitting the qb is no different than saying the DB did touch the WR. Those are not apples vs oranges. Its applying the rules as written. You could argue a pass interference call is actually less debatable because you can see the defender making contact before the ball is there, where a roughing call involves some degree of intent and guesswork of did he try to avoid or not. . 

I normally argee... But how is the penalty on Ingram debatable?

He did everything Office of Player Safety wants him to do. I'd file a complaint, unfair labor practice with the union.😆🤣

Yeah... Right...

One thing I noticed is that the Cardinals tackles were moving early and were never called, but we had 2 false starts. I kind of understanding allowing some leeway in lining up a little deeper, but they shouldn’t be letting lineman start blocking before the ball is snapped.

rationale for this call:  

1. angle - bad angle by ref

2. more important - point of emphasis - at the beginning of every season refs are told are told at every level certain point of emphasis, esp player safety,  to focus on and it becomes a trigger to make a call on something borderline or that they think they see that they normally would not call....

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I normally argee... But how is the penalty on Ingram debatable?

He did everything Office of Player Safety wants him to do. I'd file a complaint, unfair labor practice with the union.😆🤣

Yeah... Right...

I think it was a bad call. But I the piece that could be debated is that Murray went to slide and Ingram could have avoided him altogether than go down for the hit even if he then pulled up to avoid contact. You can see he still kneed him etc. That is where the ref is judging could Ingram have just let the play go dead when Murray started the slide. 

• Like (+1) 1

The more macro issue here with the officiating, is basically after any positive play, i am cheering because there were no flags. Even after a 5 yard run. You can't even clap or remotely celebrate until you make sure there is no yellow. 

That is not how it should be for fans. 

18 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just be grateful they didn't throw a PI flag on the last AZ play. It wasn't but that roughing call earlier wasn't real either.

Yeah. Didn't turn his head and was into the receiver before the ball. I thought it was PI. HOWEVER,  I think it was almost identical to what the defender did against Coleman and there was no flag on that play. Consistently letting it go.

For this game I thought they were overall bad but each team benefited. It’s the inconsistency on a couple calls. Quick start and or lining up in the backfield by OT’s. Both Dawkins and the Cards RT push the limit on this. But the most frustrating is the holding on OL calls. Not the obviously FM that cost the Bills 4 points but in general. The Bills have a top 12-15 OL and it seems they get a significantly higher % of OL holding on run plays. Might just be a recency bias but that’s my biggest issue. The KC OL seems to have cart blanche on both of these. Ever since the opener last year when Reid went off about RT Taylor getting called on this.