Bad Ref call thread ( for season)

djp14150

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

No question the refs did not have a good day on both sides,  this easily could have been called pass interference. This was terrible coverage,  not looking back and hands on receiver

Meh, sure I am bias but I see why a flag was not thrown. Contact has to be meaningful to draw a flag. Sure Ingram has his back to the ball but at any point does he make meaningful contact before the ball arrives that throws the receiver off his route or inhibits his ability to catch the ball? I'd say no. Once the ball arrives that is when the contact occurs which is perfectly legal. 

8 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Meh, sure I am bias but I see why a flag was not thrown. Contact has to be meaningful to draw a flag. Sure Ingram has his back to the ball but at any point does he make meaningful contact before the ball arrives that throws the receiver off his route or inhibits his ability to catch the ball? I'd say no. Once the ball arrives that is when the contact occurs which is perfectly legal. 

I'm with you on this.  That video clip doesn't show anything "obvious".  It really doesn't look like there's any contact until after Ingram gets lucky with the ball hitting his arm.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, gregmo said:

I'm with you on this.  That video clip doesn't show anything "obvious".  It really doesn't look like there's any contact until after Ingram gets lucky with the ball hitting his arm.

I agree, good non call but I am not sure I would give the refs credit for that. They probably just missed seeing the play entirely like they were doing all game. 

At first, I thought that we were going to see the Eagles game all over again, but the officiating crew was bad across the board. Both teams got wrong calls against them. They were flag happy for most of the game while strangely at the same time missing legitimate calls.

The refs were flag happy everywhere. I watched the Thursday night game and the Bills game in full. I also watched Red Zone in the later games and during commercials in the Bills game. I noticed an excessive amount of false start and illegal formation penalties across the board. Hopefully that is just teams not being in sync yet.

The problem with the rules in the league is there are so many subjective ones that any official that wants to make their presence known can singlehandedly slow down a game or make it unwatchable.  Even if they are not favoring teams as some perceive, that is still problematic.

Edited by dgrochester55

46 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

No question the refs did not have a good day on both sides,  this easily could have been called pass interference. This was terrible coverage,  not looking back and hands on receiver

Actually, I think that was a good no-call:

1. Ingram WAS looking back. Watch his head multiple times turning from the defender to the ball.

2. The official is RIGHT there and watching closely. Nothing was missed -- he was right there and made a judgement call, not something that was missed.

3. The officials were very consistent about allowing the players to play and not calling ticky-tack interference calls all game. The contested catch that Keon made could very easily have drawn a DPI flag (which obviously would have been declined), and Lewis was handsy on an earlier play on that final drive as well that could have easily been called.

• Like (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

There were several PI flags they could’ve been thrown against us. We got at least our fair share of calls/non-calls yesterday. Nothing we can do about any of that though. The Bills did well enough with what they could control to get the W. That’s the most important thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Roughing against Murray was epic bad call

Missed hip drop was bad too

If you are going to call the Murray slide then you have to call the hit on Allen as a flag too. Personally I think both hits were fine. Neither should have been a flag.

Good no calls on the final drive

Still not sure the roughing the passer call Allen drew was warranted. Can't tell if he got helmet or just front of the jersey. 

If they didn't call the Murray slide a penalty it would have been a decently called game.

I agree mostly here... I actually didnt think it was blatant but couple of PI or D Holding on the last drive of the game they let them play but I have seen called before. If it happened to the Bills I would probably be flipping out not gonna lie. I bet the AZ board is... but yeah I dont disagree, those were good let em play calls. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Sure Ingram has his back to the ball

I have never played DB, so I am talking from a position of ignorance. But is it really that hard to turn around when you see the player put his hands up? Every week there are unnecessary PI’s when a defender is in position but simply does not turn around. I understand when they’re beat badly and just want to prevent the catch - but when you are right on the guy, what is preventing you from simply turning toward the QB when the receiver is clearly waiting for the ball with his hands up?

• Agree 1

If they dont flow the flag when Coleman was tugged down by the jersey on his catch, you dont throw the flag on that final throw.

Unnecessary roughness was bad

No block in the back was bad

We saw so many bad flags in other games... jesus terrible

It seems like officiating has really been declining for the last few years. One thing I've always had a bone to pick about is the fact it's the NFL and all of the officials are part-time employees if I'm not mistaken. That just seems silly considering it's the largest and most profitable sports league on the planet and our officials are part-timers, but yet they're making $250,000 salaries as part-timers. And many are working as lawyers, teachers, etc in their spare time. They should be spending their spare time re-learning and taking quizzes on the rules. It's not surprising they're making blown calls when you realize this. 

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

I have never played DB, so I am talking from a position of ignorance. But is it really that hard to turn around when you see the player put his hands up? Every week there are unnecessary PI’s when a defender is in position but simply does not turn around. I understand when they’re beat badly and just want to prevent the catch - but when you are right on the guy, what is preventing you from simply turning toward the QB when the receiver is clearly waiting for the ball with his hands up?

as long as you don’t physically impede the receivers ability to catch the ball there’s nothing wrong with having your back to the ball. But yes, it can unnecessarily open aplayer up to the possibility of a flag. Again, if contact is not there or even minimal and does not impede the receiver, then there is no foul.

it was a good, no call in my opinion.

turning at the last second could cause the defender to make significant contact with receiver and/or provide a window for the receiver to see the ball arriving.