SNF - RAMS at LIONS

Steptide

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Montgomery & the OL are really impressive right now. Wow.

Wow is right, where was this Lions run game earlier in the game?

Lions literally went “beep beep” and roadgraded Wiley Coyote

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That was disgraceful on D by the Rams in OT.

I want to agree, but at the same time, the effort from Montgomery can't be understated.

Nearly every run he was just bulldozing people, throwing guys down, twisting & turning out of tackles, etc.

Might just be a case of good defense being overpowered by better offense.

Edited by BigDingus

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I want to agree, but at the same time, the effort from Montgomery can't be understated.

Nearly every run he was just bulldozing people, throwing guys down, twisting & turning out of tackles, etc.

Might just be a case of good defense being overpowered by better offense.

Montgomery was a Force indeed.  Agreed it can’t be written off as bad run D

Monday morning afternoon reflections:

1. I think this was two credible teams. I saw less sloppy football than in most of the other week one matchups I've watched. The Rams might lack a bit of true elite talent compared to their Superbowl winning heyday a couple of years ago, but they have a solid young roster and a re well coached. The Lions on the other hand look like they are contenders for a deep playoff run again if they can clean some things up. 

2. The Kupp - Nacua dynamic bears watching as we move forward I think. Kupp struggled to be properly healthy last season and I always felt a bit like Nacua was benefitting from some vacated targets - he averaged over 100 yards in games Kupp was down for example. Nacua can play from the boundary more than Kupp but they tend to win in very similar ways and how they balance using them both while keeping the offense sufficiently varied / unpredictable is a point to track throughout the year. 

3. The Rams offense needs to run game to work to be seen to full effect. It always has. Williams didn't have a great day but his oline really seemed to struggle opening holes. AJ Arcuri in particular really struggled. It's going to be hard to generate those downfield throws off play action without defenses feeling they need to prioritise stopping the run. 

4. Jameson Williams breaking out, finally, would be such a significant development for Detroit. Behind St. Brown they, to say the least, are not a great receiving corps. They, have been waiting to get something from Williams and if that is now going to happen it can be a significant difference maker for them. 

5. I still say Jahmyr Gibbs was a poor use of a 1st round pick. The argument about why running backs are not wise investments in the first round has been done to death but the are certainly not wise investments if they are still stuck firmly in a time share in year two and when the team really needs yards on the ground it goes away from you to the "solid vet." Detroit has generally drafted very well to super charge its revival. But the 2023 first round was a misstep IMO.